Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Ruger GP100 .44 special, Delisted

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    You’re welcome!
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Bud’s gun shop’s shipping department really got with the program..With today being Good Friday, I wasn’t expecting to see this pistol show up until next week, but to their credit, it came today! Dry firing it a little bit, the DA trigger pull is smooth and quite useable as it is, almost as good as my match champion, doing a serial number search, it was shipped in 2017, so, it may have issues shooting high as was mentioned in a post above, I won’t know until I get some ammo loaded up for it, that may be a couple of weeks. I love the Houge grip on it seems very comfortable, looking the pistol over, there’s no glaring flaws, the barrel appears to have been installed with no canting, everything looks good. It looks like everything was well done, and well thought out..

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Well, once again this boardSince I already load for .44mag, all I need to do is buy some special brass and readjust my dies in my press
    FWIW My ancient set of .44 RCBS dies came with a washer where the thickness matches the difference in Special and Magnum brass. You just use it under the seating die when loading Magnums with the die set up to crimp Specials. You might give RCBS a call.

My 3” 10mm GP-100 is just a great shooting little gun, you should love the Special.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    FWIW My ancient set of .44 RCBS dies came with a washer where the thickness matches the difference in Special and Magnum brass. You just use it under the seating die when loading Magnums with the die set up to crimp Specials. You might give RCBS a call.

My 3” 10mm GP-100 is just a great shooting little gun, you should love the Special.
    I have that same washer for my .38/.357 dies. In this case however, that’s not going to work..I’m going to be loading on a Dillon 550b, the sizing die I shouldn’t have to touch, but the bell/ powder drop, seating, and crimp dies will all need adjusted, no biggie though, just take a few minutes..

Now that I have this pistol, and have brass on the way, I’m needing some suggestions for a holster... Knowing the enabling nature of this board, anyone have any suggestions?

Now that I have this pistol, and have brass on the way, I’m needing some suggestions for a holster... Knowing the enabling nature of this board, anyone have any suggestions?
    I have been quite happy with my Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake for my 4" GP100.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I have a Simply Rugged Pancake, it is underwhelming to look at but absolutely comfortable and protects the gun very well. But since excellent is never good enough I also ordered a JMCK OWB holster for the little 3”. It is every bit as comfortable and maybe presents the gun for a quicker draw. The downside for your use is it won’t protect the rear sight as well as the Simply Rugged holster does (my GP100 has the fixed Novak rear).

A bit of advice, the one weak part of Ruger revolvers is the rear sight blade. Call Ruger and order a spare one. Store it where you know where it is and Mr. Murphy will leave your sight alone. Don’t ask how I learned this.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    For mine, I’ve been using a Triple K 440 Lightning as a field holster along with a matching belt. Previous to that, I used a DeSantis Thumb break molded for a 2 1/2” Colt Python. I’ll try to post pics of each tomorrow.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Traditional OWB it's hard to go wrong with the Galco Combat Master. I've had Combat Masters for basically every gun ever, and rolled an M9 in one for my last deployment. Traditional IWB the Summer Comfort or whatever Galco calls it is also good. I'm not shilling for Galco here either, but these two products of theirs I'll recommend without hesitation.

Having said all that, I'm wearing a 3 inch GP100 10mm in a JM Custom Kydex AIWB holster as I type this.

Much to my surprise, my cases from Starline showed up today..I quickly went to the basement and went to work..It only took a few minutes to readjust my .44mag dies to run .44special, currently I only have some 240gr plated RNFP’s to shoot, I do have some 200gr plated RNFP’s on order, looks to me like you have a wider variety of loads to choose from with the 200gr bullets.. Anyway, I loaded about 200rnds, and went into my side yard, and ran 20 rnds off, made a quick sight adjustment, and, overall, was quite surprised..recoil was very pleasant, accuracy was good, and I think will improve the more I use it, this pistol really is a blast to shoot, looking at the loading data, it looks like there’s something for everyone here, I found some load data from Speer using their 200gr Gold Dot, that looks promising as a defense load, only problem is, every place I’ve looked they’re sold out, at $30-35/100 for the bullets, that’s a lot cheaper than some of the other factory loaded defense loads I’ve seen for sale, and, all of them are now in 20 rnd boxes.. I’m liking the .44 special, I kinda wish I would have tried it sooner..

User Tag List