Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Federal HST 9mm question on new box

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    I generally get ammo online. I checked with SG and a couple others and they cannot tell me if what they have in stock is this newer stuff, or the older and no one even seems to know of any changes. They say it is probably just a difference due to federal moving its HST production to a CCI facility.

Anyone have any suggestions at how one can be sure that 9mm 147gr HST ordered on line is the newer stuff? I would like to try some.
    I just ordered some 147 HST (P9HST2) from Target Sports yesterday. If you tell me what to look for, I'll let you know when it arrives.

My only information is what I have read here, apparently two cannelures and a change in the bullet skives. I guess the box (assuming you ordered the 50 round box) is also a bit larger than the old box, if you have one of those around to compare. I cannot recall if federal puts dates on the boxes or just lot numbers, so I have no idea if that helps. I will be interested in your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    My only information is what I have read here, apparently two cannelures and a change in the bullet skives. I guess the box (assuming you ordered the 50 round box) is also a bit larger than the old box, if you have one of those around to compare. I cannot recall if federal puts dates on the boxes or just lot numbers, so I have no idea if that helps. I will be interested in your comments.
    It's a longer box, has blue sealant, and the bullet itself looks a little different from the top view. I'm actually a little disappointed, honestly. I've got a bunch of the older ammo through my guns and it has always run well. I know the performance of the old stuff was regarded as having a proven performance record in real world use. I wasn't looking to upgrade to something new and different if the old stuff was working plenty good enough.

Ah well, such is life.

New one is on the top in all images.

Name:  HST1.jpg
Views: 1474
Size:  66.8 KB
    Name:  HST2.jpg
Views: 1411
Size:  52.4 KB
    Name:  HST3.jpg
Views: 1454
Size:  66.1 KB
    Name:  HST4.jpg
Views: 1419
Size:  57.7 KB

I got some in from Target Sports USA yesterday. It turned out to be the new revision with blue sealant. The sealant was also present on my 230 grain 45 ACP +P and 180 grain forty that were in the same shipment. The 40 S&W was particularly interesting to me. Just the other week, I had ordered a box of 180 grain HST with some spare cash and it arrived in a smaller box without the primer sealant.

Started vetting the new style 147gr in the household nines to be on the safe side as it is different than when we first gave it a trial.

Thanks for the update. As it happens, I was in a local police supply the other day and they had some HST in the larger boxes. I looked at it and it was identical to what I have now. Bullets looked same, no visible sealant, etc. I am not sure it really makes any difference anyway but am curious about the changes. I guess we need someone with connection to an LE rep to try and get the answer as to whether there has actually been a change performance-wise or if it is just typical changes in manufacturing that occurs over time.

FYI, the larger boxes/plastic trays and blue sealant are typical with Speer Gold Dot and/or CCI packaging. I would guess the ammo is still GTG, but I don't like it when running changes are made. One reason I like to buy a full 500-1000 rounds of a known good ammo, and stick with it.

Just picked up a couple of 50 round boxes of P9HST2 to test for function in a couple of platforms. Blue primer sealant, couldn’t tell if case mouth had sealant. Obviously couldn’t tell if there was a 2nd canneleur. Skives were shorter and narrower than on the older version (about like the original 124gr HST).

I have no idea if any of these changes make any kind of difference. My guess is they do not, just tweaking a bit.

Huh, I just ordered 3 boxes of 50 hst 124, I wonder which version I am getting. I've never had a problem with carry ammo being affected by the environment with or without the sealant. But if they are using cannelures and primer sealant, I'm wondering if they are doing it because critical duty has been doing that for years. I am all for it if they don't jack up cost because of the "upgrades"

All 3 boxes of 50 124 gn HST are the newer ones. Sealed around case mouth and primers.

The box containing the ammo also had a stamp saying cartridges small arms. I don't remember that being on the Package before, but it's been awhile. The ups man also wouldn't let me sign for it. He said he will sign it because he didn't want anyone touching his scanner. Bonus!

New box results

I did get some in the new box, with blue sealant on the primers.

I couldn't do any ballistic testing, but it felt hotter than the earlier ones, with no difference in accuracy.

Part of me wonders if Federal isn't hotting up the 147's, and since they dropped the +P variant, there's no need for redundant loading.

I realize this is thread drift, but I'm seeing something similar with .45 HST, in that the newer standard pressure actually feels hotter than the old +P variant, and I'm getting flattened primers in the new standard pressure.

User Tag List