Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Federal HST 9mm question on new box

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    I believe the reddish sealant is on their newest batches of ammo. I’ve shot through plenty of 50 round boxes of HSTs in the past that did not have sealant. However, all of my newer 50 round boxes, do have it.
    I have noticed this as well. We carry the 50 count LE boxes and didn't see the colored sealant until our last restock which was over the summer.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    I believe the reddish sealant is on their newest batches of ammo. I’ve shot through plenty of 50 round boxes of HSTs in the past that did not have sealant. However, all of my newer 50 round boxes, do have it.

Same here. I’ve still got several 50 round boxes of 147gr standard pressure that either doesn’t have sealant or used a clear sealant. Not sure how to tell which, or if it matters. I’ve been told that both scenarios are possible. Newer 147gr has the red sealant.

Newer 147s also have the shallower and shorter skives, I’ve been told to reduce the rather dramatic expansion but increase penetration. Not sure if that matters either.
    Last edited by Moonshot; 01-09-2020 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Added info

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    Same here. I’ve still got several 50 round boxes of 147gr standard pressure that either doesn’t have sealant or used a clear sealant. Not sure how to tell which, or if it matters. I’ve been told that both scenarios are possible. Newer 147gr has the red sealant.

Newer 147s also have the shallower and shorter skives, I’ve been told to reduce the rather dramatic expansion but increase penetration. Not sure if that matters either.
    Interesting, the 147gr already has massive expansion so I’d rather a bit more penetration (if I had the option).

I just got a case of 124 HST from SG, and they have blue sealant. Also, the boxes are about 1/2 inch longer.

Name:  F8E33FFF-8F8C-4064-933F-6D0B6D97957D.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  27.0 KB
    Name:  B68EA9F5-2316-4242-BBEB-EBBAE9DB8DE6.jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  47.1 KB

The newer 147 gr HST also has a double cannelure to help with core/jacket separation. In my unofficial windshield test at 10 yds there was zero deflection, bullet went through the windshield,front seat, back seat,and ended up in in a pile of clothes in the trunk. My favorite round for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by witchking777 View Post
    The newer 147 gr HST also has a double cannelure to help with core/jacket separation. In my unofficial windshield test at 10 yds there was zero deflection, bullet went through the windshield,front seat, back seat,and ended up in in a pile of clothes in the trunk. My favorite round for sure.
    OK, this is way above my knowledge base, and may be a question best addressed by the doctor, but is there enough of an advantage to these newer HSTs (sealant, greater penetration at the cost of some expansion, better AG performance) to warrant using up any old stash and moving to all new, or is this just an incremental modification to what is already one of the best rounds out there and it really doesn't matter which version is in your magazine.

OK, this is way above my knowledge base, and may be a question best addressed by the doctor, but is there enough of an advantage to these newer HSTs (sealant, greater penetration at the cost of some expansion, better AG performance) to warrant using up any old stash and moving to all new, or is this just an incremental modification to what is already one of the best rounds out there and it really doesn't matter which version is in your magazine.
    I purchased 3 cases of the newer 147gr. HST in 2019 and have been shooting my older HST rounds.

Cool

I honestly would not give it a second thought. Use your old carry ammo when verifying function and POA/POI and drive on.

Like Doc mentions(paraphrased), pick something on the list, buy it in bulk and stop thinking about the small and insignificant differences between bullets. Small production changes along the way donÂ’t make the previous HSTs any less of a performer.

But on the flip side, practicing with your carry load is always a good thing so if you want to use your current stuff and buy new then by all means do so.

Unless you have 1,000 rounds of the old stuff I'd order enough of the newer stuff to test POA/POI and carry it instead. The gentleman at Federal I talked to said with the updated double cannelure auto glass separation went from 1 in 100 to 1 in 1,000. That,combined with deeper penetration (which we should all know is more important than expansion), and sealant makes it a good idea IMO. One thing to bear in mind (that I've discovered anyway) is that a pistol bullet that expands and has the expanded petals curl behind the base of the bullet,seems to more easily deflect when striking bone/hard surface etc. The shallower/shorter skives on the latest 147 in my own 4 layer denim test per the old IWBA standard allowed it to have great expansion and yet keep the petals from curling around the bullet base,thus leading to deeper and more straightforward penetration.

I generally get ammo online. I checked with SG and a couple others and they cannot tell me if what they have in stock is this newer stuff, or the older and no one even seems to know of any changes. They say it is probably just a difference due to federal moving its HST production to a CCI facility.

Anyone have any suggestions at how one can be sure that 9mm 147gr HST ordered on line is the newer stuff? I would like to try some.

User Tag List