Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TLR-8 AG as red dot companion

TLR-8 AG as red dot companion

I recently received a TLR-8 AG, which is the Streamlight light laser combination with the improved switching. This seems like the ideal light for an EDC red dot, based on size, performance, the ability to differentiate between your red dot and the laser, and the laser advantages of an alternate aiming system. Tony at JM made the holster for it.

Name:  E810FC5A-BCF8-4775-8026-F11CCFDFA329.jpg
Views: 9550
Size:  59.1 KB

Name:  5120BC00-CCF0-4163-8C8D-7DADED072D8E.jpg
Views: 2858
Size:  55.2 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I got a TLR-7A in December and I’m really impressed for a CCW/off-duty WML. I got an interim holster, but I think I need a JMCK. I’m getting familiar with my Setup (M&P 2.0 CORE, RM06, TLR-7A, and holster) and I’m looking forward to running the dot on and off duty.

I think our “red dot” talk is going to get interesting after January and SHOT.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I recently received a TLR-8 AG, which is the Streamlight light laser combination with the improved switching. This seems like the ideal light for an EDC red dot, based on size, performance, the ability to differentiate between your red dot and the laser, and the laser advantages of an alternate aiming system. Tony at JM made the holster for it.

Name:  E810FC5A-BCF8-4775-8026-F11CCFDFA329.jpg
Views: 9550
Size:  59.1 KB

Name:  5120BC00-CCF0-4163-8C8D-7DADED072D8E.jpg
Views: 2858
Size:  55.2 KB
    Closed emitter RDS, check.
    Laser light. Check.
    Magwell. Check.

You're very tactical operstor today.

Seriously though, do a pic from backstrap prospective aiming towards the muzzle. I have organically disliked pistol lights and AIWB because everything I've seen so far has had notable gaps between holster and trigger guard area to allow for the light's passage. Maybe this tlr thing is narrow enough. For appendix holsters I dont want any gaps there.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Closed emitter RDS, check.
    Laser light. Check.
    Magwell. Check.

You're very tactical operstor today.

Seriously though, do a pic from backstrap prospective aiming towards the muzzle. I have organically disliked pistol lights and AIWB because everything I've seen so far has had notable gaps between holster and trigger guard area to allow for the light's passage. Maybe this tlr thing is narrow enough. For appendix holsters I dont want any gaps there.
    No room for even your little finger.

Name:  842AB503-9B62-4BC8-8536-C37224FE3623.jpg
Views: 2257
Size:  44.5 KB

Don't underestimate me. I am professionally trained to get into tight spaces.

Lil fingers dont worry me, T-shirts do. This one looks better than most.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Nice setup, @GJM. How do you like the “high switch”? I had the first generation switch on my TLR8G, and dismounted that unit for the 7 with a high switch. Looks like I need to spend some more money...
    @YVK: maybe we need to reintroduce that old TLG term, “Phrasing...”(from Archer).
    As a point of information, the Perun holster will accept this setup-19w/ACRO and TLR8. I ran that first gen 8 in that holster.
    I wish/hope Tenicor responds to the 8.

I like the high switch.

Zeroed it and shot it at the range today. Green laser was bright enough to see at 25 yards in bright sun. Love the TLR-8 AG!

Guys, we think the TLR 7A and 8A (especially the 8AG, it's awesome for color blind people like me) are the best ccw lights out there right now and are going to be offering more of them for more pistols in our Quick Ship section within the next month!!
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

I’m following this thread with great interest.

I had myself a pair of Roland Specials made up, but didn’t want to tote a X300. I liked the green laser/light combo of the Crimson Trace rail-mount unit, but there are basically zero quality options for holsters including that light.

I am very interested in the TLR-8 AG and would love to be able to team it with a quality holster.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

When I first saw the LASD M&P with X300 and Crimson Trace grips I remember thinking it was a brilliant setup for a duty weapon; this setup for a CCW gun gave me the same feeling--three sighting systems, two of which allow for target focus, and the laser immediately available if the optic dies in a way that makes the BUIS unusable? This really feels like the thinking man's CCW setup.

I have a couple of G19 Gen. 5 MOS guns waiting for an optic. I'm pretty much committed to the ACRO, but waiting for SHOT just to see if there are any upgrades to hopefully address battery life. After seeing @GJM's posts on this, I'm planning to add the TLR-8AG to the mix.

As for holsters, I already had concerns that my (otherwise excellent) JMCK Wing Claw was going to push the optic out too far in exchange for pushing the grip in, so I was already thinking of the George as the best option. My only change will be to swap the clip for fixed soft loops.

Very interested to see @GJM's additional thoughts on this setup, but I'm pretty much sold already.

User Tag List