Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: NEWS SOURCES

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    For Middle East related things, I like a couple "local" sources:

https://www.thenational.ae/international out of the UAE
    https://www.aljazeera.com/ out of Qatar
    https://www.jordantimes.com/ out of Jordan

And for a different take on international news, the BBC. https://www.bbc.com/news/world
    Second on BBC and AJ. Also Wall Street Journal and Financial Times.

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    When I was a boy, astronomy fascinated me. I liked Carl Sagan's Cosmos series very much. It was like an adventure, educational and gave serenity. Awesome combination. Mr. Tyson's remake of the Cosmos series was good IMHO but not as great as the original.

Which astronomical or astrophysical sources do you recommend besides Mr. Tyson?

When I answered to your posts last time, I came right from the pizzeria where I had a good time with an old friend and had some whine intus. Made me think less before posting, sorry.

Do you have an example, what astrophysics did teach you? Perhaps you have a nice lesson to share?
    No apology necessary. I enjoy reading your posts and didn't find anything you said offensive.

I don't have any great insights. I developed a love for astronomy as a young boy in the late 50's and early 60's. Took weekend classes at the Hayden Planetarium in NYC. Kept up with some amateur astronomy and independent study and did well enough on the testing to get some scholarships and offers of a free ride at some universities. (I still have an 8" reflector and a library of books on the subject that get occasional use.)

I ended up in law enforcement so let's just say the passion wasn't sufficient to motivate me toward the degrees which would have been necessary to pursue a career in the field. I have no regrets...I still find the subject of great interest though I struggle at times wrapping my head around various theories.

What has it taught me? I think it dovetails with a lifelong respect for Zen and the mirroring of the universe in all things from the great to the small. It's a mystery I know I'm a part of, but in only the faintest way, like motes of dust seen floating in the light of day.

Name:  astro books 2.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  68.2 KB
    Last edited by blues; 01-18-2020 at 01:16 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I don't have any great insights. [...]

What has it taught me? I think it dovetails with a lifelong respect for Zen and the mirroring of the universe in all things from the great to the small. It's a mystery I know I'm a part of, but in only the faintest way, like motes of dust seen floating in the light of day.
    Wow, I think this alone is quite a great insight. Reminds me of probably the most beautiful German song from the 80s. I still like it, even my mother still likes it. It starts with:

"Im Sturz durch Raum und Zeit
    Richtung Unendlichkeit
    Fliegen Motten in das Licht
    Genau wie du und ich"

My humble translation:

"In the fall through space and time
    towards infinity
    Moths are flying into the light
    Just like you and I"

In 2002, Nena performed it together with Kim Wilde, half in English. I've found only a low-quality video of it in YT, but happiness still comes through.

Last edited by P30; 01-18-2020 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    How do you characterize your MSM? What are the issues surrounding the media in Germany?
    One more example that shows how bad German MSM are. Tagesschau is the biggest news broadcast, here. In the first two sentences, they wrote:

tagesschau.de/ausland/richmond-waffen-101.html:
    Im Zentrum der Stadt Richmond herrscht Ausnahmezustand: Am Mittag will die Waffenlobby im US-Bundesstaat Virgina gegen geplante schärfere Gesetze demonstrieren.
    My translation:
    The state of emergency prevails in the centre of Richmond: At noon the gun lobby wants to protest in the US state of Virgina against planned stricter laws.
    Compare this with the description of the Richmond rally in this forum:
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Peaceful, polite, orderly, CROWDED.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I just checked the NRA twitter, Facebook and Instagram accounts. Not.a.single.mention. of the Virginia rally on any of it.
    So Tagesschau distorted the facts twice in their first two sentences:
    - There was de facto no state of emergency. It was peaceful, polite and orderly.
    - Not the "gun lobby" but grassroots demonstrated. The people.

This is how they report every day.
    Last edited by P30; 01-21-2020 at 04:25 PM.

Excellent example. Thanks for the perspective, @P30.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Speaking of news sources, it's pathetic that some of the (liberal) mainstream media here are terribly disappointed that the pro-2A rally in VA was non-violent and didn't spark civil unrest (in furtherance of their agenda).

Shameful at best...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

tagesschau.de/ausland/richmond-waffen-101.html:
    Im Zentrum der Stadt Richmond herrscht Ausnahmezustand: Am Mittag will die Waffenlobby im US-Bundesstaat Virgina gegen geplante schärfere Gesetze demonstrieren.
    Damn, I've just noticed: They can't even spell the name of the state correctly. They are so bad. Every German household must pay 52.50 € per quarter for them. And this is what they deliver.
    Last edited by P30; 01-21-2020 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    WSJ is having an introductory special pricing on subscriptions. $1 for two months then 50% off for a year on digital subscriptions. https://store.wsj.com/shop/US/US/wsj...200116153316:s
    I didn't read it that way, it looks like EITHER $1 for two months OR $19.50 a month, for either 6 or 12 months. Says you can cancel any time so not exactly sure what the 6mo offer does.

But I am tempted, just am getting tired of spending as much effort as I do to avoid shit that is gonna piss me off.

Damn, I've just noticed: They can't even spell the name of the state correctly. They are so bad. Every German household must pay 52.50 € per quarter for them. And this is what they deliver.
    Eh.

I wouldn't hit them for that. I can't imagine how the spelling errors are for American media reporting on German news.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List