Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Check-Mate P320 New 17 Round Magazines

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    I am not formally testing them but I wouldn't expect it to be magwell related, the opening on the magwell is very generous and mine never came close to binding on the mags. On my P320X5 Legion the mag catch is a little stiff, though. The tension is such that I have failed to seat fully loaded mags properly, fired the round in the chamber, and the mag didn't fall out during recoil like I have seen with my Glocks. My mags fall free very easily when I actuate the mag catch properly. I wonder if he has small thumbs or isn't depressing the catch fully?
    He's a very experienced shooter, both in general and P320 specifically, and has both the X5 and X Carry platforms-so I don't think it's a thumb placement or magazine catch sufficient depression based issue. He did not experience the issue with any of his other (presumably Mec-Gar) magazines, and it's only with his X5.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    One of our testers has reported that two of his test magazines aren't dropping free from his X5 when they're empty; he has to push them down out of the receiver from the top to get them to break free from the receiver. When loaded, they'll drop free fine, though.

He suspects that the magazine tubes might be slightly oversize/out of tolerance; another possibility is that it might have something to do with the X5's extended magazine well and it's tolerances-it's noteworthy that the magazines that we're testing, with the Henning Group basepads, are the OEM magazines with the X5.

Any other testers having similar issues?

Best, Jon
    Problem solved-the tester realized that he'd induced the problem when he placed a small piece of coated tape with the magazine number on the outer rear of the magazine, where it was just thick enough in the right location where it interfaced with the X5 receiver to induce sufficient friction; additionally, he noticed that the tape was exactly where the X5's grip weight sits, and was creating a ledge that further served to impede the ejection of the magazine when empty and light weight.

He then removed the coated tape ID tags, and both previously problematic magazines dropped free without any issues; he tested hundreds of times just to make sure.

(FWIW, on my magazines, I just use a system of paint dots from a paint pen to code my magazines; I apply it on one of the impressed strake stampings on the tube side where it won't wear off with use).

On the GrayGuns/Taylor Freelance basepads, I use the paint-fillable dot matrix and/or depression integral with the pads.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post

FWIW, on my magazines, I just use a system of paint dots from a paint pen to code my magazines; I apply it on one of the impressed strake stampings on the tube side where it won't wear off with use.

Best, Jon

I noticed this on one of your earlier posts and promptly stole it. It's one of those things that you feel silly for not thinking of yourself. Great idea. I'm expecting that it will not need touch up as frequently as painting the base plate or side/rear of the tube.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Jon

Great thread and great transparency from Check-Mate. Very impressive and something more manufacturers should replicate when there are real or perceived issues with their products.

I read through this whole thread and perhaps I missed this, but is there a place where a P320 owner can go and purchase some of the magazines directly from Check-Mate? I went to their website and don’t even see the P320 pistol platform listed. Sounds like these are coming as OEM with some Sig pistols but is there a way to buy them direct from Check-Mate? I like to support companies with good business practices. Sorry if it was mentioned already in the thread and I missed it.

Keep up the great work.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell -

GO ARMY, BEAT NAVY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    Jon

Great thread and great transparency from Check-Mate. Very impressive and something more manufacturers should replicate when there are real or perceived issues with their products.

I read through this whole thread and perhaps I missed this, but is there a place where a P320 owner can go and purchase some of the magazines directly from Check-Mate? I went to their website and don’t even see the P320 pistol platform listed. Sounds like these are coming as OEM with some Sig pistols but is there a way to buy them direct from Check-Mate? I like to support companies with good business practices. Sorry if it was mentioned already in the thread and I missed it.

Keep up the great work.
    Sorry for the response delay; in answer to your question, Check-Mate does have direct sales, http://checkmatemagazines.com/index....306&Itemid=134, but I don't see the P320 magazines listed.

Essentially, their direct sales are really more oriented towards organizational as opposed to individual sales. Your best/easiest bet would be to get them from SIG-Sauer's webstore, but you could always give Check-Mate a call. As an OEM vendor, at this point they may be precluded from selling to anyone but SIG, though.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/magazines.html

Best, Jon

All of ours are still drama free. Some have seen high volume shooting.

Regards.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    I've only got three so far, but they've been problem free for 1000 rounds, out of two different guns. They're definitely a step up from the old P226 Checkmate magazines that we had endless problems with. They've been as reliable as my Mecgar produced OEM magazines.

Mine have been absolutely flawless as well, and while the bulk of mine are running with the Henning Group extended basepad, I'm also testing several with the GreyGuns/Taylor Freelance Hard Use thin aluminum and an OEM SIG polymer basepad. About 500 rounds through mine so far.

Best, Jon

Here's a "Circle J" magazine, just for reference.

Slighty rough polish/machining on spine. Noticeable ridge or bump along the front. Slightly less "crisp" stampings. Sig Sauer information not very pronounced. These noted when compared side-by-side to a "Made in Italy" magazine.

Do we know which company is producing these?

US mag on the left:

Last edited by Tokarev; 04-18-2020 at 01:12 PM.

To date, I don't know who the "J" vendor is. I have my suspiscions, but am awaiting a bit more confirmation.

I will suggest that there's probably a reason that Check-Mate has the current SIG contract with the product-improved magazines we're testing, and it's not just price-based.

Best, Jon

User Tag List