Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Check-Mate P320 New 17 Round Magazines

Note to self: Find out in advance when the GJM's are on their ammunition acquisition forays, and quickly buy stock in PMC...

Let us know how tomorrow goes. If necessary, we'll swap out T2 for a replacement, to let Check-Mate Engineering examine it.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Note to self: Find out in advance when the GJM's are on their ammunition acquisition forays, and quickly buy stock in PMC...
    If you think that’s a lot of ammo, talk to parents of college trap shooters. They call routinely for cost on a full pallet of shells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you think that’s a lot of ammo, talk to parents of college trap shooters. They call routinely for cost on a full pallet of shells.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post

A pallet of shotgun shells, reduced to 9mm size, would fit in the back seat of a Raptor. Just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    A pallet of shotgun shells, reduced to 9mm size, would fit in the back seat of a Raptor. Just sayin...
    Maybe. 26,000 9mm’s is still a bit of space!

20 January 2020 Update

I campaigned the P320 X-Carry (or, to be technically correct, an X-Carry grip module married to a standard 3.9" Upper slide/barrel assembly) last Saturday in the Renton WA monthly IDPA match. Weather was cloudy and cool (30s-40s), with very sporadic light sprinkles of rain (with zero effect on my Romeo1 RDS-no raindrops hit its glass). The lowest of the higher-intensity dot illumination settings was used throughout (i.e., the third selection up from the bottom).

The P320 RX with X-Carry grip/RDS/Check-Mate magazines performed superbly, with Sellier & Bellot 124 gr ball used throughout.

I used the same 3 Check-Mate magazines throughout; my initial carry magazine had a new GrayGuns/Taylor Freelance Hard Duty Use aluminum basepad, and my 2 reload magazine used the OEM Henning Group extended basepad installed by Check-Mate.

Magazines were not babied; throughout the match (and an apres-match 5X5 series of IDPA Qualifiers I ran the gun through), the magazines were routinely ejected onto the wet, muddy ground, and at best wiped off on my pants before re-use.

Zero issues whatsoever were encountered.

Why the GrayGuns/Taylor Freelance basepad? Two reasons: 1) I wanted to see how an after-market component would work with the Check-Mate magazines. and 2) While I'm very satisfied with the OEM Henning Group basepads, my though was that a smaller-dimensioned basepad might be a tad more user friendly for concealed carry, printing less, but that the Henning Group basepads would be superior for reloads.

Some images:

P320 loaded with Henning Group basepad in X-Carry grip module

Henning Basepad Bottom, with aggressive diamond-pattern checkering

P320 X-Carry loaded with GrayGuns/Taylor Freelance Basepad

GrayGuns/Taylor Freelance Basepad bottom, with paintable concave dots and an area for inscribing badge #, etc:

Frontal Basepad Comparison:

Side Profile Basepad Comparison:

Rear/Back magazine basepad comparison:

No problems were encountered using either/both basepads, or with any aspect of the magazines. For initial admin load/carry load, I can be satisfied with the magazines with either basepad, but the GrayGuns/TF one is noticeably thinner, conceivably printing a bit less with some clothing selections.

The Henning Group basepads excel particularly as reload magazines, as their size ensures a likely better grasping area when frantically grabbing for the magazine, and the aggressive diamond-pattern checkering on the magazine bottom is a superb surface ensuring that a reload is sufficiently emplaced and locked in her receiver. It really locks into your palm.

Again, the Henning Group basepads WILL NOT WORK with the standard P320 grip modules; they're designed specifically for the X-Series P320 grip modules. The GrayGuns/TF basepad will work in either grip module.

While the GrayGuns/TF basepad is basically smooth, there are grasping groove cuts/niches in the basepad upper sides, facilitating yanking down on a stubborn-to-eject/extract magazine; the Henning Group basepads are smooth-sided, so your basepad selection may be guided by either the specific grip module on your P320, or by personal preferences. Both basepads seem to be well made and well finished. Other than the side niche cuts, the GrayGuns/TF basepad seems to be dimensionally comparable with the SIG OEM polymer basepads, at least as I could discern in a side-by-side comparison with the OEM SIG polymer basepads on my Mec-Gar Compact magazines.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 01-20-2020 at 01:43 PM.

GREAT thread!

I understand it (perhaps incorrectly) that ACT also makes magazines for the P320.

Can this be confirmed?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    GREAT thread!

I understand it (perhaps incorrectly) that ACT also makes magazines for the P320.

Can this be confirmed?

Thanks.

Their websites show 2 examples, both rollmarked "ACT MAG ITALY."

Greg Cote LLC has them listed for $19.95 http://gregcotellc.com/cart/index.ph...md9g1bcjuo2c61

After their 1911 magazine cracking feed lip debacle, which I personally experienced on several of their magazines (they were originally an OEM vendor for SIG under the Novak label for the SIG GSR 1911, before the issues caused SIG to switch to Check-Mate as their OEM 1911 magazine vender) reportedly caused by incorrect hardening, I'd personally be very wary.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 01-27-2020 at 08:20 AM.

Their websites show 2 examples, both rollmarked "ACT MAG ITALY."

Greg Cote LLC has them listed for $19.95 http://gregcotellc.com/cart/index.ph...md9g1bcjuo2c61

After their 1911 magazine cracking feed lip debacle, which I personally experienced on several of their magazines (they were originally an OEM vendor for SIG under the Novak label for the SIG GSR 1911, before the issues caused SIG to switch to Check-Mate as their OEM 1911 magazine vender) reportedly caused by incorrect hardening, I'd personally be very wary.

Best, Jon
    Thank you, brother!

I was not at all aware.

Magazines received.

Let the games begin.

Thanks again, JonInWA

User Tag List