Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Check-Mate P320 New 17 Round Magazines

Check-Mate P320 New 17 Round Magazines

Recently we had a multi-page thread concerning perceived issues with Check-Mate produced 17 round magazines for the SIG-Sauer P320 pistol;
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-320-magazines

As a Pistol-Forum member (and pretty active contributor), a member of the Check-Mate factory team, an IDPA participant, and as a leader of a church security team for a mid-to-large-size Seattle metro church, I had some personal interest in the thread.  As a recent winner of the NSSF Gearbox contest, where part of my prize package was a P320 RX, my interest became even more accentuated. 

I forwarded the thread on to Joe DeBello and Jacquelyn Santoro, respectively Check-Mate's President/CEO and Vice President and Director of Legal Affairs.  I've known both of them for over 12 years, and I've been extremely impressed with their concern for their products and integrity-both personal integrity and concern for the integrity of their products.

SIG actually has 3 outside vendors providing magazines for the P320-MecGar (who's magazines have a "Made in Italy" tube rollmark; Check-Mate, whose magazines are rollmarked with "Made in USA" followed by a "C" in a square box; and a third US vendor, whose are rollmarked "Made in USA" with a "J" in a square box.  So-just because the magazine is rollmarked "Made in USA" doesn't automatically make it a Check-Mate magazine.

However, Check-Mate, after a gap of about a year or so, has just resumed production of P320 magazines for SIG-Sauer.  These magazines, whose components are manufactured in Check-Mate’s New York plant and assembled in Check-Mate's new Georgia facility, feature an even matte finish with Henning Group aluminum extended basepads, are primarily intended for P320 X-grip module pistols (the Henning Group basepads won't fit in the standard P320 grip modules; for the magazines to work, the Henning Group basepad will need to be replaced with the standard P320 basepad; (or with Gray Gun's new hard use standard-profile basepad, available from both Gray Guns and the SIG webstore should fit-I have one on order to verify).

My initial testing of the new Check-Mate magazines has shown my examples to have excellent construction, fit and finish-equal to the MecGar ones that I have.  I, and several others (including some p-f members) are testing them-and our examples are not cherry-picked, they're fresh standard production run items (so much so that Joe DeBello wanted me to run an immediate test on their arrival to me to see if there were any issues or red flags)(there weren't).

This thread will track our results and discussions concerning the magazines, with no punches pulled. If there are others of you that are interested in participating in the test, currently have a P320 and are willing to run the magazines, send me a PM and I’ll coordinate and see what can be done.

Additionally, Check-Mate is well aware of the caliber of p-f participants, particularly those involved in this and the previous thread discussions. For any participants that have experienced operational issues with their Check-Mate P320 magazines, Check-Mate will provide a one-for-one exchange; the point of contact to effect the exchange will be info@checkmateindustries.com, and, if there are any concerns that members feel would warrant a personal discussion, Jackie Santoro has told me that you’re welcome to contact her directly by email at jackie@checkmateindustries.com.

Mine will be aggressively used in all of my shooting venues; the Law of Unintended Consequences apparently will make 2020 the Year Of the P320 for JonInWA...Last Sunday, two days ago, FWIW I ran them in an intensive training course with absolutely zero issues, and the magazines were loaded to full capacity and repeatedly ejected onto a hard cement deck throughout the training. Ammunition used throughout was Sellier & Bellot 124 gr ball.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 01-07-2020 at 06:10 PM.

Site Supporter
    I don’t have a P320, but just wanted to say I am impressed with this post. Your contributions are much appreciated.

Good luck in the endeavor and I hope it goes well.

Thanks for the info.

Any word on who made this one? No J or C suffixes.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

It's a bit tricky, as the earlier production contract magazines apparently did not have a manufacturer distinguishing rollmark. I'm betting yours has the earlier round basepad/inner baseplate retaining peg, not the current square one, but I'm not sure specifically who the manufacturer was.

If you've encountered problems with it, I'd suggest querying Check-Mate (or Jackie at Check-Mate) at the links provided in the initial thread post; if it's theirs, and if you've had issues, they'll exchange and replace with one of the new ones.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 01-07-2020 at 06:35 PM.

deleted
    Last edited by ArgentFix; 01-08-2020 at 04:02 AM.

Excellent. Thanks for doing this.

To be clear, this is specifically for the 17 round mags, correct?

Has anyone here had complaints about the 15 round mags?

Excellent post. I can say that while I’ve only used the MecGar mags for carry (15 rd for xcompact), the CheckMate 17 rd that came with the legion have been flawless thus far (2k+).

Thanks again for the quality post. It sounds like they really care. Their 365 mags have also been great!

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Excellent. Thanks for doing this.

To be clear, this is specifically for the 17 round mags, correct?

Has anyone here had complaints about the 15 round mags?
    This thread is primarily about the 17 round magazines, as there the ones that Check-Mate produces for SIG-Sauer to the best of my knowledge, all the 15 round magazines for the P320 are made by Mec-Gar; Check-Mate has only been manufacturing the 17 rounders for SIG-Sauer P320.

Personally, I concurrently have 4 of the 15 round Mec-Gar 15 round magazines, as my P320 originally came as a P320 RX Compact. They performed flawlessly. One of the nice things about the modularity of the P320 is the ability to easily switch between different grip modules and configurations-and similar slide and caliber switching can also be done.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 01-08-2020 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I don’t have a P320, but just wanted to say I am impressed with this post. Your contributions are much appreciated.

Good luck in the endeavor and I hope it goes well.
    I wanted to echo this sentiment, and I also think your bigwig friends at Checkmate deserve a hell of a kudos for listening to a switched on customer base and taking the time to read these threads. Not to mention having the integrity to have you publically post results here to help them identify issues and perfect their product. That says a lot about a company and I'd gladly throw some support their way if I hadn't gotten out of P320s. I will be watching the thread with interest and wishing CM the best!

Vending Machine Operator
    Very impressive contribution to the forum, which par for the course with your posts.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List