Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Check-Mate P320 New 17 Round Magazines

It's hard to tell, but I'm guessing that the shiney one is the newer production. Another way I suspect you can tell would be to disassemble, and compare the sprigs side by side-the one with the longer spring is likely to be the newer. Although Check-Mate is being non-specific to me about the current production mods (probably due to NDA's), I've got a sneaking suspicion that a stronger, more powerful spring is at the heart of things. If you have any questions or concerns about either, just contact Check-Mate at the info I provided earlier in the thread.

Best, Jon

Zero issues reported to me from testers to date. I know some have been ran at local USPSA and steel challenge as well as NRA CCW classes.

So far, so good.

Regards.

No issues from one of the testers who ran his in yesterday's ASI match; I'll be running mine again in next weekend's IDPA match

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    I've put 150 rounds through mag #1 (Henning base plate), and 200 rounds each through mags # 2 and #3 (std. Sig base plates) over the last week.

# 2 and #3 were dropped while fully loaded before inserting into the pistol, then dropped empty at slide lock onto the gravel range from chest height each time.

No issues.

I finally made it to the range with the Check-Mate mags. I have two and ran them exclusively today.

Setting: Training at local range
    Weather: Sunny and 70 degrees, though the ground was wet and muddy from the previous day's downpour
    Magazines used: Check-Mate 17-round (labelled CT1 and CT2)
    Rounds fired: 200 rounds 115gr Wolf performance (steel cased), split evenly between the two magazines
    Gun(s) used: Sig P320 training (Compact RX slide with 2nd gen Romeo 01, X-Carry grip module, and Grayguns curved trigger shoe with stock spring)

I don't generally use steel-cased ammo, but I received a case of Wolf 9mm for Christmas. It poured rain yesterday and the range was still muddy. I usually keep my brass, but the muddy ground was the excuse I was looking for to try the steel-cased ammo (so I didn't have to retain wet/muddy casings). I also figured this was a bit of a worst-case scenario for the mags. If they run with Wolf, that'll be a good start. I have never put Wolf or any other steel-cased ammo through the P320, so I didn't know what to expect. I had a case of Lawman 115gr in the trunk just in case. It was not needed. The Wolf ran fine and was consistently accurate (off-hand 3" groups at 25 yards without much effort). It also shot to the same point of aim as my usual Lawman 115gr training ammo.

This was the first use for the magazines. On receipt, I disassembled the magazines and brushed them out with a toothbrush and rag. I didn't see any rough edges or residue in the tubes. They looked great. At the range, I loaded both mags to 17 rounds. The last round was tough to get in, but both mags ran fine loaded to capacity. I ran a few failure drills on the timer, then I ran a few El Pres's to get in some transitions and reloads. Rather than shooting to slide lock, I started with a fully loaded magazine and dropped the magazines with rounds in them. The full magazine seated on a closed slide just fine and the mags held together after hitting the ground with rounds in them - they stayed together and the rounds stayed in the mags. The range was muddy, so the ground was softer than usual (I will be surprised if they don't eject some rounds when hitting dry ground). I brushed the clumps of mud off on my pants before using the mags again.

When I did reload from slide lock, I had consistent auto-forwarding. I don't remember this particular 320 being sensitive to auto-forwarding, but that's just based on (an increasingly unreliable) memory. I'll run some Mec-Gars next time to see if it also happens with those.

I really dig the base plates. I generally carry a 21-round magazine as a reload because I find the extended pad helps me get a consistent grip on the mag, but these base plates might work even better. The 21-rounder can be a lot of mag to deal with in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

And i here i am thinking im a shooter

February 16th Update

I shot the P320 RX X Carry yesterday in an IDPA match; 7 stages, 149 rounds, sporadic rain, constant mud. Check-Mate magazines were constantly dropped in the muddy ground (clay/silt/gravel) (especially my first/initial load magazine, with a SIG OEM polymer basepad{provided by Check-Mate, replacing the OEM Henning Group basepad and used to provide a lower profile for carry}), with absolutely zero issues throughout the match.

Muddy magazines were wiped off with a handkerchief or on my pants, and then reloaded and re-used on the next stage. First magazine was always loaded to 10 + 1 (11) rounds, two reload magazines with 10 rounds, per IDPA division capacity rules.

The two Check-Mate reload magazines both have the Henning Group extended basepads.

After the match, I examined all three magazines; the initial magazine (and the one most exposed to mud/water/silt) was detail disassembled, examined, brushed out, re-treated with Dri-Slide (inner tube and spring) and reassembled. All followers were brushed, and exteriors wiped down with Weapon Shield. The magazines are actually pretty well sealed from grunge infiltration-even the first magazine was fond to have very little foreign material when detail disassembled.

Gun was cleaned, re-lubricated, and loaded with dedicated duty Check-Mate magazines, and carried on duty today Duty magazines are 3 Check-Mates,with the first sporting a lower-profile GrayGuns/Taylor Freelance Hard Use aluminum basepad, and the 2 reload magazines using the OEM Henning Group basepads). The Romeo1 RDS was cleaned with a Nikon Lens Pen; there was a small amount of residue and film that was easily removed (vision was uninhibited through it throughout the match).

Pistol was carried in a Mitch Rosen leather OWB holster, cut for a RDS, available through the SIG webstore. Magazines were carried in a Galco dual ballistic fabric/polymer magazine pouch.

Ammunition used was Sellier & Bellot 124 gr 9mm.

Again, everything ran without a hitch-magazines, gun, and with no egregious shooter-induced errors.

Best, Jon

Update from Alabama:

We've had a 3 percent failure rate......BUT.....I highly suspect that is a user induced malfunction. This person told me that he had slide lock, dumped the mag, and when he went to retrieve it, it still had rounds in the magazine.

I HIGHLY suspect that he hit the slide lock with his hands while firing and thus inducing the failure.....he has marked the magazine and is bringing it to me to evaluate.

I have heard nothing but solid things from the others running these magazines. Some USPSA shooters, some NRA trainers, running our church security qualifications, plinking, etc. The Henning base plates are holding up really well with the sharp checkering on them. We are bouncing them off of our paved range in all sorts of drills. We haven't had any pop loose so far and have dumped them in loaded, partially loaded, and empty configurations.

We have a couple of guys that bought the new Wilson Combat grip modules and they work with those with no problems. At this early stage, we are giving them high marks but we are going to shoot several thousand more rounds through them and keep pouring the use to them.

I'll try to update on a quarterly basis. Right now, we love these things.

Regards.

One of our testers has reported that two of his test magazines aren't dropping free from his X5 when they're empty; he has to push them down out of the receiver from the top to get them to break free from the receiver. When loaded, they'll drop free fine, though.

He suspects that the magazine tubes might be slightly oversize/out of tolerance; another possibility is that it might have something to do with the X5's extended magazine well and it's tolerances-it's noteworthy that the magazines that we're testing, with the Henning Group basepads, are the OEM magazines with the X5.

Any other testers having similar issues?

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    One of our testers has reported that two of his test magazines aren't dropping free from his X5 when they're empty; he has to push them down out of the receiver from the top to get them to break free from the receiver. When loaded, they'll drop free fine, though.

He suspects that the magazine tubes might be slightly oversize/out of tolerance; another possibility is that it might have something to do with the X5's extended magazine well and it's tolerances-it's noteworthy that the magazines that we're testing, with the Henning Group basepads, are the OEM magazines with the X5.

Any other testers having similar issues?

Best, Jon
    I am not formally testing them but I wouldn't expect it to be magwell related, the opening on the magwell is very generous and mine never came close to binding on the mags. On my P320X5 Legion the mag catch is a little stiff, though. The tension is such that I have failed to seat fully loaded mags properly, fired the round in the chamber, and the mag didn't fall out during recoil like I have seen with my Glocks. My mags fall free very easily when I actuate the mag catch properly. I wonder if he has small thumbs or isn't depressing the catch fully?

User Tag List