Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Check-Mate P320 New 17 Round Magazines

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Magazines received.

Let the games begin.

Thanks again, JonInWA

Same here...

I took John up on his offer in the beginning of the thread for testers, and just received three Check-Mate mags from the latest production run on my doorstep. All my other P320 mags are MecGar, so I have no previous experience with the CM's.

I'll be running them through an X-Carry and a Carry, along with an X-Compact and Compact frame.

I replaced one of the Henning basepads with an original plastic baseplate in order to run a mag in the Carry frame.

They look identical to the MecGar mags in construction, only difference being a slight texture to the finish (less pronounced than the photo depicts).

Looking forward to running some rounds through these.

Thanks again, John!

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Gotta say those do look nice. I like those Henning basepads for reloads. When will these be commercially available Jon?

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Gotta say those do look nice. I like those Henning basepads for reloads. When will these be commercially available Jon?
    You can buy the Henning baseplates separately right now, or the complete magazines with them installed (search for SIG X5 Legion magazines). I wasn't paying close enough attention to ask Jon if I could try some samples but I have 6 of the complete SIG mags. I will add that in the several months I have had them, I have had the Henning baseplates pop off twice when the mags were dropped, both times at matches.

Currently, there are 9+ (more on that in a minute) of us that are beta-testing these new production magazines. The "+" has do do with some of us are further distributing the magazines to organizational members. There are 65 of the magazines currently involved and distributed. My understanding is that they all came straight from factory production, and have not been the recipient of any special pre-shipment treatment or tuning by Check-Mate.

Basically, testers are representatives of some 7 organizations, and some industry insiders and extremely experienced and objectively critical shooters; all are currently issued, using or very familiar with the P320. It's been made clear that these magazines are now the personal property of the receiving individual, with the Check-Mate lifetime guarantee attaching.

I've stressed to everyone volunteering that the purpose is to get some real data points on these magazines, not to create a de facto cheering section for Check-Mate (hopefully, the results will enable us to champion the magazines, but we'll see).

Although these magazines as produced all have the extended Henning Group basepads as OEM, where needed or desired, OEM SIG polymer basepads have been also provided by Check-Mate (which is convenient for some of us, as the last time I checked the SIG webshop site, they were out of stock) (the Henning basepads WILL NOT work in a standard SIG frame module, unless its a case of using a Compact frame with the 17-round magazines, where the magazine and basepad protrude past the frame bottom; the Henning Group pads were devised specifically with the X frames in mind.

In answer to a previous query, my assumption is that these magazines are currently commercially available; I assume their OEM issue with the SIG P320 X5s, and are also available from the SIG webshop. They're not inexpensive with the Hennings; they retail at about $60 'Murrican.

I'll continue to provide updates via this thread on my use (I'm currently running 8, 4 for carry/duty, 4 for competition/training); 6 with the Henning Group basepads, 1 with a GrayGuns/Taylor Freelance Hard Use aluminum basepad, and 1 with an OEM SIG polymer basepad.

While not a scientific test per se, this gives us here on p-f a venue to get and discuss some data points and experiences with these. Hey, we get to use our powers for good instead of evil...that's the theory, anyhow.

And kudos to Check-Mate, for their willingness to really step up to the plate and get something they clearly believe in out there, and subject to the potential double-edged sword of user critique. Again, the member constitution of p-f lends itself well for this.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 01-29-2020 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    You can buy the Henning baseplates separately right now, or the complete magazines with them installed (search for SIG X5 Legion magazines). I wasn't paying close enough attention to ask Jon if I could try some samples but I have 6 of the complete SIG mags. I will add that in the several months I have had them, I have had the Henning baseplates pop off twice when the mags were dropped, both times at matches.
    Were they completely empty when they hit the ground or did they have some ammo in them?

Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Were they completely empty when they hit the ground or did they have some ammo in them?

Thanks for the heads up.
    They weren't totally empty, but each one only had 2-3 rounds left.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    They weren't totally empty, but each one only had 2-3 rounds left.
    Gotcha.....thanks for the quick reply. Needed it for research purposes.

Modified two carry grip modules to accept the Henning floorplates.

Name:  henning1.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  22.6 KB

Name:  henning2.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  39.3 KB

Name:  henning3.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  30.4 KB

Name:  henning4.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  38.8 KB

Our mags will be fully distributed this Sunday and will be ran with factory seconds CCI/Speer GDHP. We have 12 cases to utilize in 2020 and we have four USPSA shooters with mags in hand. One of our guys has a spreadsheet created and ready to record issues if they arise. All mags are marked and are about to get shown range love.

I'll let them know to keep an eye out for the base plates popping off with depleted ammo.
    Last edited by lwt16; 01-30-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Cool

And we're keeping the Dremel far, far away from you, Larry....

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    And we're keeping the Dremel far, far away from you, Larry....

Best, Jon
    Don't even own one....every time I get ready to buy one, I get ammo instead.

Man's got to have his priorities.

@JonInWA

I seem to have two different runs of mags? I had 2 from an X5 legion and 2 from an X Carry (I had another that came with the legion but when I sent it to Sig to have LCI barrel swapped for non-LCI barrel they sent me a Mecgar back for some reason?)

I don’t know which is which. One seems to have a more shiny finish (top) and the other a more matte or dull finish (bottom). Any insight into the differences between these and whether one is the “latest and greatest”?

Name:  3A53B6C1-793B-44F5-8518-CC3EC7840EAB.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  48.8 KB

User Tag List