Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W model 3000 12 ga

The 3000 is a Product Improved 870. They are excellent shotguns.
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

$169 for one? Wow, awesome deal. I paid $260 for a police trade-in Mossberg 500. I'm definitely jealous.

Nice! How easy is it to find parts for them?

That's one nice thing about the 870 and the 500/590 -- parts are easily found and inexpensive. It makes buying used ones a low-risk proposition.

I haven't researched these very much other than reading a few threads/reviews here and there. I seem to recall reading some of the parts are interchangeable with the Mossberg and some might even be with the 870s. I suspect parts aren't easy to come by though otherwise given they weren't produced for very long.

I actually went in last week and looked at these and passed. It wasn't until I started reading about them and saw how everyone I knew was going nuts over them (esp at that price) that I became interested. I still resisted until I asked my dad if he wanted one. When he said yes I figured while I was there I might as well get one for me too.

Yes, the price is $169 each but they have already started popping up on the local classifies for more than that and people are going into a frenzy for them (even at the higher price). The prices I found online for them was between $200-300 in this condition, depending on location.

Parts are readily available.

I've enjoyed owning one for maybe 10 years; I think it was like $150 on CDNN, or something.

It's a Japanese copy of an 870, well executed. That said, some dimensions are different; I couldn't get a sidesaddle or a magazine extension to work. I took 1" off the LOP, threw on a carry strap, and drove on.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    That said, some dimensions are different; I couldn't get a sidesaddle or a magazine extension to work. I took 1" off the LOP, ...
    I think I read Choate makes a tube ext that works but haven't researched it myself. I wouldn't mind an inch of the LOP on mine either but prob won't bother.

That is a solid deal. I have a hard time passing up shotgun deals, just picked up a 870 Wingmaster for $150 out the door. A little rough on the outside but the inside looks like it has not been shot much at all, still a little on the tight side.

The local gun shop had police trade-in 870's for $150 a few years ago. The stocks were painted bright yellow for less lethal ammo but other than that they were in great shape. I passed because I was saving up for something else.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    I think I read Choate makes a tube ext that works but haven't researched it myself. I wouldn't mind an inch of the LOP on mine either but prob won't bother.
    I did that with a beat up Mossie 500 I found at a gunshow for $130. But I over did it. It was short and quick but it was a real bust in the lips to shoot.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List