Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Our new and improved Iraq discussion thread!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    What baffles me is this: The Quds Force was designated a terrorist entity in 2007. As its leader, Soleimani was a legitimate military target. It now turns out that killing him has been on the table for months.

If Trump had said as much and concluded with "we had to chance to take him out and we did so", that would have been the end of the story. Trump would have had a moment in which he looked firm and decisive, almost a Gary Cooper sort of guy.

Unfortunately, no. That was not enough for Trump. He had to embellish and lie about why Soleimani had to be killed. First there was the "imminent plot" for which there is no evidence. Now there's the "four embassies plot", something that Trump appears to have cooked up himself. Again, no evidence. Next it will be Trump saying that Soleimani planned to blow up Tranquility Base.

So we don't have a moment of "Trump the decisive leader", we have yet another moment of "Trump the big fat liar", in the same way that he turned the killing of the head of ISIS into a story about how Trump makes shit up.
    You write for CNN, don't you?
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Our new and improved Iraq discussion thread!

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm not a NYT subscriber, I'm not sure what the article is about.

What I've seen most people hinge this argument on thus far is SecDef Esper saying that he didn't see any intelligence for a "4 embassies plot". People are extrapolating that to mean "no intelligence that there was an imminent attack", even though in the same interview Esper strongly asserted that there was an imminent attack directed against multiple diplomatic and military installations in the NEA region.

To be honest, I've given up on following a lot of the news because in my current position I've realized it's mostly purposed misrepresentations or flat out fabrications. I've been a fly on the wall at so many events at the highest levels of government, and seeing stuff play out in the news over and over in virtually a 180* version of events compared to reality. Most recently, given that I delivered a cabinet member to Congress to give them a classified briefing on the intel. Or that after we got handsy with an out of line journalist who later had his press pass revoked, he broke a story not 30 minutes later that our principle officer had "dodged questions" and is "changing his answers". Well, gee, IDK, maybe ask questions in the correct forum instead of leaping out between pillars in a subterranean complex where the security detail feels compelled to sound off and play fisti-cuffs with you....

I get that none of this matters to you, because doing whatever possible to malign or impede Trump (and the administration overall) is the ultimate goal, and the ends justify the means for your crowd, regardless of what truth gets trampled or who gets hurt. Orange Man Bad, all that.
    You don’t even need all of that relevant experience. If you actually look, a lot of times you can find a video or at least complete transcript of what was said and compare it against the three words that are being grossly taken out of context.

I’ve started watching local news again because it’s finally relevant to my job, but I question anyone who watches any news source and doesn’t have some level of doubt or skepticism. Far worse if they only stick to one, be it CNN, ABC, FOX. Unless I hear it for myself, it’s likely a lie to some extent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 01-14-2020 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    You don’t even need all of that relevant experience. If you actually look, a lot of times you can find a video or at least complete transcript of what was said and compare it against the three words that are being grossly taken out of context.
    Totally.

The level of deception that the media is running on America is astounding. Even moreso how people just want to lap up the manufactured bullshit because Orange Man Bad.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Totally.

The level of deception that the media is running on America is astounding. Even moreso how people just want to lap up the manufactured bullshit because Orange Man Bad.
    Yup. We no longer have a press.
    #RESIST

Banned

Listen and learn.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    You write for CNN, don't you?
    Does it pay well? Would I have to move to Atlanta?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Even the Army Times is frustratingly biased. They’re all full of shit, right up there with the vast majority of Hollywood and Congress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You. mean no evidence that is unclassified and has or can be released publicly without exposing sources and methods ?

A more valid criticism would be that if you can’t release the background without exposing sources and methods Trump should not be talking about it at all.

On another note 600 plus U.S. KIA is nothing to sneeze at. Soleimani may be THE most legitimate target the drone program has shwacked.
    Trump can declassify anything he chooses. Saying "he shouldn't be talking about that stuff" is a valid criticism, but he has the power to do so.

I've read no reports of embassies taking extra security measure, let alone sending families (if any are in the region) or sending non-vital staff home. My suspicion is that the "four embassies plot" is something Trump dreamed up.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    You mean "we no longer have a press that thinks the way that I do", perhaps?

Funny thing about freedom of the press: The only agenda that they have to follow is that of the people that cut their checks. There's plenty of pro-Trump media to watch or read, if that's what floats your boat.

User Tag List