Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Our new and improved Iraq discussion thread!

Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    Pretty sure that's not how it works. I believe quite a few holders of Caribbean diplomatic passports found out the hard way that a diplomatic passport isn't a get-of-jail-free card when traveling. If one was a conspiracy theorist, one might think that whole racket was a honeypot.

Anyway, it's been my impression that the arrangements are bilateral conventions. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the U.S. has few, to none of them.
    The US used to have bilateral conventions with foreign governments. A lot of it depended on what gov't it was (who was running the show) and why you happened to be there in the first place. Immunity was a thing where I was. The police/customs officials knew who you were and if they didn't they found out PDQ with a phone call to the command on your ID card. I traveled freely in that country for 2 years and was never detained more than a few minutes until the ID was verified. The reason, I was attached to a military command (not a US base) and the military was pretty high up on the food chain unlike it is in this country. So at least at that point in time it was a thing. I'm not sure how things work these days but I can tell you the US no longer has the relationship with that country that they did when I was there. The US military is no longer there and not many had a clue when we were there.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Only Congress has the power to declare war.
    I’m hardly a legal scholar. But my understanding is, killing Solemani in Iran or a place where we do not have active combat deployments would be considered an act of war. Whacking the dude in Iraq when he was in town meeting with known terrorists - makes him nothing more than another dead terrorist scumbag. Oh he was an Iranian general? Probably should have stayed in Iran and he’d still be alive. But in Iraq? Just collateral damage.

And also, we don’t need a declaration of war to kill terrorists, because they are non-state actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    The US used to have bilateral conventions with foreign governments. A lot of it depended on what gov't it was (who was running the show) and why you happened to be there in the first place. Immunity was a thing where I was. The police/customs officials knew who you were and if they didn't they found out PDQ with a phone call to the command on your ID card. I traveled freely in that country for 2 years and was never detained more than a few minutes until the ID was verified. The reason, I was attached to a military command (not a US base) and the military was pretty high up on the food chain unlike it is in this country. So at least at that point in time it was a thing. I'm not sure how things work these days but I can tell you the US no longer has the relationship with that country that they did when I was there. The US military is no longer there and not many had a clue when we were there.
    What you're talking about is SOFA, and has zero to do with diplomatic immunity or diplomatic passports.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    My mom lived to be 92. She was pretty sharp up until about 90. Crossword puzzles, articulate conversation, good memory, that sort of stuff. Not someone you want running the country tho.

I'm not running down old people but at 70 you start to lose a step or two. I have some experience with that.
    My neighbor died when she was a week away from celebrating her 100th birthday. A couple of weeks prior some guy tried to get into her house by kicking in her back door. She surprised him and threw a dish plate at him. He fled. She called the police and when they arrived she was flirting with the young officers that responded. Quite a gal.

Our new and improved Iraq discussion thread!

Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    The difference is he was a high level official of a disliked but recognized government not a unrecognized illegitimate terrorist organization. No one at least here is seems to be questioning the targeting of just a terrorist like the Obama and G W Bush administration did and the Trump administration continues to do. It is the targeting of a general of a country we are not actually at war with that is problematic.

Edited to add as mentioned above there are certainly critics of the drone killing program but this is a step beyond that.
    Are you claiming that the head of a labeled terrorist organization is not, himself, a terrorist? Or are you just advertising that you forgot to learn that fact?

I’m all for debate. I think it is highly lacking in our society and is a huge part of our downfall. People don’t gather in person like they used to, so it’s up to social media where you have people who say they’re above debating online because they’re apparently just above everyone else, and you have people who are essentially children and yell and insult when anyone disagrees with them. I think this forum has a vastly higher percentage of people in between these two groups than the rest of American society.

That being said, a lot of people in this country, some here included, should probably reconsider what they know and what they think they know. There’s a lot of talk of NATO and the military that falls into this category.

To say that Trump hasn’t figured out how to be presidential is hilarious, because he’s actually the fucking president. Maybe he’s not YOUR notion of presidential, but unless you’re the president, that opinion is worth about as much as a pile of dogshit. If you’re going to criticize someone, especially someone who’s probably smarter than you are (he’s rich AF and the president BTW), at least make it a legit criticism.

To that point, blues, I’m curious which tweets you’re referring to because I’m of the exact opposite opinion though based off similar circumstances. Politicians play it so close to the damn vest that you never actually know what they’re thinking. There’s all of like seven that can even answer a question instead of jump tapdance and retweet their party/boss’ latest talking point. I don’t have a Twitter but I follow POTUS’ twitter on FB because I think it’s the closest thing we’ve gotten to actual insight from the cabinet in a long time.

Does some of the shit he says worry me or make me think that he probably shouldn’t? Hell yes. But no one is perfect and sure as shit no one is going to say something every American agrees with 100% of the time. And at least I don’t feel like every single one of his comments have gone through 73 staffers with PHDs in the latest bullshit triggering/safe space/reallifedoesntgiveafuckaboutyourfeelings studies to the point that it’s nothing at all like what he’s thinking.

With that rant over, I’m of the opposite mind that he painted himself into a corner. I’m as confident as can be that if Americans had died, we’d be landscaping that terrain with millions of dollars. I don’t think that he drove the point home so hard that he gave himself no other option and now that he eased off, looks weak. But I do think that if the justification was there, blowing the shit out of all the places he just said he would is a solid micdrop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 01-09-2020 at 11:24 PM.

but unless you’re the president, that opinion is worth about as much as a pile of dogshit.
    So basically you're saying unless you happen to be the president, everyone's opinion is worth about as much as a pile of dogshit.

Unless of course a person is being paid for their opinion. Then it must be worth something. I don't think that's anyone here but I could be wrong.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

So basically you're saying unless you happen to be the president, everyone's opinion is worth about as much as a pile of dogshit.

Unless of course a person is being paid for their opinion. Then it must be worth something. I don't think that's anyone here but I could be wrong.
    It was more of an implication than an actual statement, but the point was that if you’re obviously not qualified to speak on the topic AND can’t even make a reasonable, specific statement, then yes, your opinion is worthless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    The difference is he was a high level official of a disliked but recognized government not a unrecognized illegitimate terrorist organization. No one at least here is seems to be questioning the targeting of just a terrorist like the Obama and G W Bush administration did and the Trump administration continues to do. It is the targeting of a general of a country we are not actually at war with that is problematic.

Edited to add as mentioned above there are certainly critics of the drone killing program but this is a step beyond that.
    You may feel that is the difference but the facts don’t support your feelings.

The U.S. does not have diplomatic relations with the current government of Iran and officially refers to Iran’s current government as a “outlaw regime.” Iran’s current government is on the state sponsor of terrorism list maintained by the U.S. Department of State. As such the current government of Iran is neither recognized, nor legitimate in so far as the U.S. Government is concerned.

More specifically, the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps, the organization commanded by General Soleimani, is designated as a Foreign Terrorist Organization (FTO) by the U.S. Secretary of State. Legally they are no different than Al Qaeda, ISIS, etc. As far as the U.S. Government is concerned they are a terror organization and there is no such thing as a “legitimate” terrorist organization. Under U.S. law General Soleimani is just as “legitimate” a target as Osama Bin Laden or Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

Designation of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps

https://www.state.gov/designation-of...y-guard-corps/

The State Department intends to designate as a Foreign Terrorist Organization (FTO) the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) in its entirety, including the Qods Force. This is a historic step to counter Iran-backed terrorism around the world.

On April 15, the IRGC will be added to the State Department’s FTO list, which includes 67 other terrorist organizations including Hizballah, Hamas, Palestinian Islamic Jihad, Kata’ib Hizballah, and al-Ashtar Brigades.
    The IRGC FTO designation highlights that Iran is an outlaw regime that uses terrorism as a key tool of statecraft and that the IRGC, part of Iran’s official military, has engaged in terrorist activity or terrorism since its inception 40 years ago.

The IRGC has been directly involved in terrorist plotting; its support for terrorism is foundational and institutional, and it has killed U.S. citizens. It is also responsible for taking hostages and wrongfully detaining numerous U.S. persons, several of whom remain in captivity in Iran today.

The Iranian regime has made a clear choice not only to fund and equip, but also to fuel terrorism, violence, and unrest across the Middle East and around the world at the expense of its own people.

The Iranian regime is responsible for the deaths of at least 603 American service members in Iraq since 2003. This accounts for 17% of all deaths of U.S. personnel in Iraq from 2003 to 2011, and is in addition to the many thousands of Iraqis killed by the IRGC’s proxies.

This action is a significant step forward in our maximum pressure campaign against the Iranian regime. We will continue to increase financial pressure and raise the costs on the Iranian regime for its support of terrorist activities until Tehran abandons this unacceptable behavior.

The IRGC, with the support of the Iranian government, has engaged in terrorist activity since its inception 40 years ago.

The IRGC—most prominently through its Qods Force—has the greatest role among Iran’s actors in directing and carrying out a global terrorist campaign.

In recent years, IRGC Qods Force terrorist planning has been uncovered and disrupted in many countries, including Germany, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Kenya, Bahrain, and Turkey.

The IRGC Qods Force in 2011 plotted a brazen terrorist attack against the Saudi Ambassador to the U.S. on American soil. Fortunately, this plot was foiled.

In September 2018, a U.S. federal court found Iran and the IRGC liable for the 1996 Khobar Towers bombing which killed 19 Americans.

In 2012, IRGC Qods Force operatives were arrested in Turkey for plotting an attack and in Kenya for planning a bombing.

In January 2018, Germany uncovered ten IRGC operatives involved in a terrorist plot in Germany, and convicted another IRGC operative for surveilling a German-Israeli group.

The IRGC continues to provide financial and other material support, training, technology transfer, advanced conventional weapons, guidance, or direction to a broad range of terrorist organizations, including Hizballah, Palestinian terrorist groups like Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad, Kata’ib Hizballah in Iraq, al-Ashtar Brigades in Bahrain, and other terrorist groups in Syria and around the Gulf.

In addition to its support of proxies and terrorist groups abroad, Iran also harbors terrorists within its own borders, thereby facilitating their activities. Iran continues to allow Al Qaeda (AQ) operatives to reside in Iran, where they have been able to move money and fighters to South Asia and Syria. In 2016, the U.S. Treasury Department identified and sanctioned three senior AQ operatives residing in Iran and noted that Iran had knowingly permitted these AQ members, including several of the 9/11 hijackers, to transit its territory on their way to Afghanistan for training and operational planning.

The IRGC FTO designation is a significant step forward in our maximum pressure campaign against the Iranian regime.

This new FTO designation builds upon previous sanctions, sends a clear message to the world that the Administration is committed to exerting maximum pressure on the Iranian regime, and shines a spotlight on those in the IRGC who engage in terrorist activities.

It builds upon previous sanctioning of more than 900 Iran-related individuals, entities, aircraft, and vessels by this Administration for human right abuses, censorship, ballistic missile program, malign cyber activities, support to terrorism, or associations with the Government of Iran.

Since January 19, 1984, Iran has been designated a State Sponsor of Terrorism (SST) for providing support for acts of international terrorism. As a result of this designation, Iran is subject to a number of sanctions and restrictions, including restrictions on U.S. foreign assistance; a ban on defense exports and sales; exports controls of dual use items; and miscellaneous financial and other restrictions.

In 2017, the Department of the Treasury designated the IRGC as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist pursuant to its counterterrorism sanctions authority (Executive Order 13224) for its activities in support of the IRGC-Qods Force, which was previously designated in 2007 under this same authority for providing support to a number of terrorist groups, including Hizballah and Hamas.

The IRGC is also currently designated pursuant to various Executive Orders, including sanctions designations in 2007 for its support to Iran’s ballistic missile and nuclear programs, and in 2011 and 2012 in connection with Iran’s human rights abuses.

For further information, please contact the CT Public Affairs Office at CTPublicAffairs@state.gov.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-10-2020 at 12:24 AM.

Well back to the accidental letter about withdrawing. May have to dust that one off.

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/p...-mechanism-for

Ok so where is the connection to 9/11?

User Tag List