Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M&P grip size

I will add that Bill Rogers shoots a small and medium grip measurably better on the M&P, and he attributes this to a more relaxed trigger finger position.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I can think of at least three Super-Squad GM level shooters that roll the gun slightly in their hand when hitting the mag release button.
    Eric Grauffel said that it adds 0.05s to the reload. I have very small hands, but have removed all of the extended mag releases from my guns. They're too easy to hit when you don't want to hit them and the difference in times is almost nonexistent.

I use the large M&P grip, but re-shape them using a Dremel. I make the large grip shorter front to back--more like the small, leave the large grip "bulge" on the weak hand side, but slim down the bulge on the strong hand side. These modifications give me an enlarged contact area with my weak hand for enhanced recoil control, but allow a better trigger reach and improved mag release.

I run large on my 9, not sure what makes a "big" hand but I don't have to break grip or roll any for the mag btn. Running the large didnt even happen at first for prob the first 800r, then I tried it one day on target and results were better.

I did the same as Doc on my 9c and will soon do it on the full size once it passes new gun reliability standards. Follow up the dremel with stippling and you have a very comfortable aggressive grip for your m&p.

Stippling should be mandatory for all M&P's.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I use the large M&P grip, but re-shape them using a Dremel. I make the large grip shorter front to back--more like the small, leave the large grip "bulge" on the weak hand side, but slim down the bulge on the strong hand side. These modifications give me an enlarged contact area with my weak hand for enhanced recoil control, but allow a better trigger reach and improved mag release.
    I did something similar - but I removed the grip tang that goes up past where it locks and up into the beavertail. From there, I smooth the "ramp" so that it conforms with the gun better. The result is a nice "hump" in the bottom of the grip. Wouldn't it be great if a gun just came with a hump at the base of the grip?

I'll see if I can find it and get some pics. I put it somewhere I wouldn't lose it.... that always works well. So I've been running the Medium.

That's pretty solid thinking, Doc. I'll have to pick up some Large backstraps and try it.

10000x on the stippling. M&Ps are way too slippery out the box. Although I have somewhat different thoughts on the Shield.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Bumping because I'm actually considering doing the opposite with my M&P.

I'm thinking about shaving down the support side bulge of a large grip a bit. I find that I get better support hand purchase with a medium grip, but I have extremely long fingers so the large grip does a better job of positioning my strong hand index finger on the trigger. I think shaving down the support side of a large grip may allow me to exert a bit more pressure on the side of the gun and make for a stronger overall grip.

Just haven't worked up the will to hack on one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jslaker View Post
    Bumping because I'm actually considering doing the opposite with my M&P.

I'm thinking about shaving down the support side bulge of a large grip a bit. I find that I get better support hand purchase with a medium grip, but I have extremely long fingers so the large grip does a better job of positioning my strong hand index finger on the trigger. I think shaving down the support side of a large grip may allow me to exert a bit more pressure on the side of the gun and make for a stronger overall grip.

Just haven't worked up the will to hack on one yet.
    Don't be to hesitant to try your hand at modifying back straps...they are less than $3 each, and readily available.

http://www.speedshooterspecialties.c...roducts_id=778
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    Don't be to hesitant to try your hand at modifying back straps...they are less than $3 each, and readily available.

http://www.speedshooterspecialties.c...roducts_id=778
    Yup. I ordered a couple of extras shortly after making that post last night.

User Tag List