Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M&P grip size

M&P grip size

I like the full sized grips on my M&P's they seem to be the most comfortable for me. I don't have big hands but the big grips just feel like the right fit and it seems I shoot the best with them. The problem comes when its time to hit the mag release, with the big grips it is a pain. it is a lot easier to find and hit the mag release with the small grip. In practicing dropping the mag I found I can hit it with my support hand easier then with my strong hand.
    So I my questions are:
    What hand do you use to drop the mag?
    Should I practice dropping the mag with my support hand or only use my strong hand?
    Do you have to lose your grip to drop the mag then re-grip?
    Hope this is clearer then mud
    Cracker

Site Supporter
    Have you tried reversing the mag catch and hitting it with your trigger finger?

JV
    I like the way you think, sounds to simple. Are there any cons to this set up?
    Thanks for the tip
    Cracker

Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    JV
    I like the way you think, sounds to simple. Are there any cons to this set up?
    Thanks for the tip
    Cracker
    Try it, but see if you have the same problem as me. Every time I've tried reversed mag buttons (or ambi mag buttons), my strong hand middle finger will engage the button. If it doesn't for you, then run with it.

Personally, with buttons, I always preferred to use my support hand to hit the button. It actually works pretty slick on the Beretta 92, not so much with most other pistols.

I assume that while shooting, you'd want the most comfortable grip possible. That is more important than using mag release button. So it sounds like stick with the grip you have.

When shooting with both hands (which is most common), it should be easy to on you last shot, use weak hand to pull front of gun up and towards you, so pistol turns in your hand. As you reach for your mag with weak hand, your strong hand should then be able to hit mag release (because you've turned the front of the gun up and back towards you).

Here is a video that shows this done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aspK...feature=relmfu

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PHPistols View Post
    I assume that while shooting, you'd want the most comfortable grip possible.
    I tend to ignore comfort and focus on performance. For me, on the M&P, they were NOT the same.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I tend to ignore comfort and focus on performance. For me, on the M&P, they were NOT the same.
    Yes, good point. But it also performs the best for him.

Quote Originally Posted by PHPistols View Post
    I assume that while shooting, you'd want the most comfortable grip possible. That is more important than using mag release button. So it sounds like stick with the grip you have.

When shooting with both hands (which is most common), it should be easy to on you last shot, use weak hand to pull front of gun up and towards you, so pistol turns in your hand. As you reach for your mag with weak hand, your strong hand should then be able to hit mag release (because you've turned the front of the gun up and back towards you).

Here is a video that shows this done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aspK...feature=relmfu
    I too have big hands. When I was shooting the M&P, I needed the large backstrap in order to allow for more contact area for my support hand. I ended up trying the "roll" for a while and then ultimately reversed the button.

While that "roll" technique certainly works, I think that the OP will find that reversing the mag release will allow him not to compromise the grip while performing the reload. Less shifting means less fumbles / compromise when trying to quickly re-aquire the grip and shoot quickly after the reload.

Another positive benefit to reversing the button and using your trigger finger to release the mag is that it forces you to get and keep your finger outside the trigger guard while performing the reload. Most people don't even know they're doing it until someone else watches for it and tells them.
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

http://www.costaludus.com/shop/cart....at=2&scat=1006

There's a thread around here where a few of us have been discussing the mag catches on the M&Pfs bs M&Pc versions.

Off the top of my head, I can think of at least three Super-Squad GM level shooters that roll the gun slightly in their hand when hitting the mag release button. It is far less of a big deal than a lot of people make it out to be.

User Tag List