Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Gen 5 or modded Gen 3/4

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I'm pretty invested in Gen 3, to the point I'd take another one over a Gen 5. If I had no Glocks, or maybe only one, I'd get into Gen 5. It's subtly better in many ways, not the least of which is the lack of finger grooves and better texture.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    What you need is a second G17 RTF 2. lol

I like mine but I don’t need it.
    Noice! I'm about to order a KKM 9mm conversion barrel for the G22 so . . . Speaking of which, first time out with the .40 and it was no trouble to keep pace with the 17 on 7 yard drills. But I digress.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I'll add that there's not a lot of options for milled Gen 5 slides, if an RMR was in your future and you didn't like the MOS. May want to stick with Gen 3/4 for that. Although a Gen 4 slide will work on a Gen 5 frame, but you'll need all the Gen 4 slide parts along with it.

Site Supporter
    I own Gen2/3/4/5 Glocks, and I much prefer the Gen5 versions. Regarding aftermarket work, as far as I can tell, those various companies are all marketing and no proven substance. None that I've ever seen have offered any sort of credible data that the modifications actually improve shooting performance with a modified pistol. I'll be happy to apologize and stand corrected if I'm overlooking something.

I think you would be doing our community a service to follow JHC's suggestion. Aside from that, buying a Gen5 with Ameriglo Bold or Agent sights semes like the best move to me. Also definitely get one with forward slide serrations and the breech face cut. My Gen5 with the breech face cut is by far the best ejecting Glock I've ever owned. The G43X, which also has the breech face cut, that a friend of mine bought also has fantastic ejection.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    I'm pretty invested in Gen 3, to the point I'd take another one over a Gen 5. If I had no Glocks, or maybe only one, I'd get into Gen 5. It's subtly better in many ways, not the least of which is the lack of finger grooves and better texture.
    I think you're missing out. The gen 5's are really that much better. The G45 is simply outstanding. Plus, the magazines and holsters still fit, so there's not much investment to be "lost" in upgrading. The only real difference is the slide/recoil spring and some small parts?

I find the whole which generation, which grip, which trigger, which recoil system thing with 9mm Glocks to be a very personal preference people have and nobody is going to tell you what works best for you.

Personally I find the gen 5 Glocks with factory stock parts to be the best choice for me. It has proven itself in my case with the "timers and targets don't lie" aspect of all this, but that clearly is different for other people. And for whatever ergonomic reasons I do my best work with a gen 5 G19, not the 17/34/45.

User Tag List