Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprinter/Camper-Van/Class-B RV Owners?

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I agree, but I think his OP said there are unavoidable situation in his life right now.
    nice to see someone with some reading comprehension.

I recently ran across this company and this van in particular. I have been considering a mobile office/marketing van for my business. Seems like there are quite a few companies doing van conversions and I'm sure you can get exactly what you want, although it might cost you $$$.

https://rbcomponents.com/collections...-van-170ex-4x4

Site Supporter
    We have two Sprinter vans that we use for inmate transports. They have to go to the MB Sprinter dealer for service and usually don't get turned around quickly for repairs. They are also too tall for some of the jail sallyports in our vicinity that we go to frequently. Not to mention having to deal with DEF fluid fills which people have forgotten to do that have caused issues. Our next vans will be gas powered Fords.

IF you plan on putting many miles on a Sprinter stay away...far away

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Or how difficult it is to get them worked on by any entity directly connected to the manufacturer.
    The Sprinter has been serviced by Dodge, Frieghtliner and now only Mercedes. Dodge and FrieghtLiner dropped them from their lines and will no longer work on them even if they have the Dodge or Frieghtliner emblem on the hood. ASK me how I Know.

Sprinters are cheap to run and EXPENSIVE to repair. In our Dodge the transmission blew at just over 100,000 miles. We found out it was a sealed unit and didn't have a transmission cooler. There was no way for us to add one. Parts are Mercedes pricey. EVERYTHING is run through the ECU interface, so electrical issues can be an issue with lengthy stays at the Mother ship for diagnosis and repair. Even the taillights.

Lastly we had one whose engine caught on fire and it went up like a Fourth of July fireworks display. When it was all said and done there wasn't even the engine block left, the engine compartment totally and completely melted into the pavement. Talking to a firefighter friend this seems to be a common trait. When sprinters catch on fire everything burns.

Our industry was heavily invested in them and at this time most of the companies have moved past and are focusing on the Ford Transit Vans. We have one left as a spare and use it sparingly. FedEx was once a Sprinter Haven. In talking with our FedEx delivery person once a unit hits a certain mile mark they get out and are not buying new.

So my suggestion is if you go for the camper van option stay away from Sprinters.
    Last edited by rsa-otc; 01-22-2020 at 12:30 PM.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Settled in for the night in the Sprinter, match in the morning, about to watch “Deputy” on the iPad.

Name:  F72D6E28-959A-40DD-A068-2FC4C654824F.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  41.9 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Nice evening out in the desert.

Name:  24ECA733-547E-409F-9580-413B8D830DDC.jpg
Views: 505
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Name:  24ECA733-547E-409F-9580-413B8D830DDC.jpg
Views: 505
    I am a little bit relaxed just looking at that picture...

Interesting that the awning is free standing. I have a similar scheme maybe someday to modify the commercial cap I no longer use for my truck into a light adventure rig and would like something that only would require attachment to the cap, maybe even add a ladder rack that would extend farther forward.

RFI question in case anyone knows:

Mrs. and I are kicking around another few years RVing in a small Class B Van. One of the upfitters we are looking at introduced a unit in 2020 based on the Ford Transit 148” chassis (Pleasureway Ontour 2.0). Power is via a Ford 3.5 L Ecoboost gasoline engine. Specs are 310HP/400 lb ft.

Any comments on this van over the MBZ Sprinter by owners or fleet operators?

TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    RFI question in case anyone knows:

Mrs. and I are kicking around another few years RVing in a small Class B Van. One of the upfitters we are looking at introduced a unit in 2020 based on the Ford Transit 148” chassis (Pleasureway Ontour 2.0). Power is via a Ford 3.5 L Ecoboost gasoline engine. Specs are 310HP/400 lb ft.

Any comments on this van over the MBZ Sprinter by owners or fleet operators?

TIA.
    I'm not a user/owner/etc. but I've been researching the shit out of these things online (which makes me about as knowledgeable as revolverrob on everything he waxes expert on so...)

What I'm led to believe is that while every Ford dealership can and will work on the Transit, not every MB dealer can/will work on the Sprinter.

I have also heard that Amazon switched from the MB to the Ford, supposedly for that service reason among others.

My focus has been entirely on Transits since starting this thread.

I may be posted this before, and some people have lost their minds because the guy says something "wrong" about the F150 and the transit being the same platform or something, but otherwise he could be building his vans on whatever platform he wants and he chooses Ford.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    One of the upfitters we are looking at introduced a unit in 2020 based on the Ford Transit 148” chassis (Pleasureway Ontour 2.0). Power is via a Ford 3.5 L Ecoboost gasoline engine. Specs are 310HP/400 lb ft.
    I do not have comparison to offer but we do have a commercial 148" Transit for MrsMMc's print shop and we have a F-150 with the 3.5. The van IMO is pretty nice, and I am a big fan of the 3.5 in the truck, 400fp out of a gas engine that can be serviced pretty much anywhere is something I have appreciated. If we didn't have a paid off long bed F-150 with only 73k on it I might be tempted to get a mid roof AWD Transit and maybe build it out for a fun project. Since we do have the F-150 I am looking at lightweight slide in campers.

But I like the way the Transit handles and one with a 3.5 would flatten some hills. And you could still drive it around like a large car.

User Tag List