Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprinter/Camper-Van/Class-B RV Owners?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Driving home today there was an ad on the radio where the local independent BMW repair shop advertised repairing Sprinter vans - cargo, conversion, etc. Thought that was interesting and indicates the amount of Sprinter vans out there now
    Or how difficult it is to get them worked on by any entity directly connected to the manufacturer.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    My son has an expediting business. He has 4 "sprinter like vans" - one Ford Transit 250 hightop extended and three Ram 250/350ProMaster hightop extended. They are putting 10 - 15000 miles per month on these. Will be interesting to see how they hold up.

I've wanted a Sprinter since I saw them at the Dodge dealer back in 2003. It's pretty cool how far they have come and what a great simple camper they make. The only reason I have not purchased one is because they were not available with 4WD. That has now become an available option.

Two guys that I work with based in Colorado have Sprinters that they converted. As most of their camping is done in the mountains, A/C isn't a big issue but heat can be. They have installed small heaters that run on diesel. For Florida, you may want to look at A/C options as leaving the engine running isn't good.

I agree with RJ about toilets. My first camp trailer was given to me, and was missing the black tank and toilet. With a wife and two small boys, we made a little porta potty work for our needs. It was setup in the area where the original toilet was located and we emptied it once a day. I would suggest installing an exhaust fan or some way to keep airflow moving when the toilet is being used.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I would suggest installing an exhaust fan or some way to keep airflow moving when the toilet is being used.
    that's a great point.

If I wind up with an 8-passenger Transit, it looks like we might have ~4ft behind the third row. I don't think I'd build out an entire "room", but there'd be space to if I wanted and I could add a fan in the roof.

Again, not that I think I'd wind up going this route, but it'd be pretty funny to have it sectioned off from the rest of the vehicle, stick one of those dry-flush in there, and have access via the rear door(s).

Parked in the desert, last light, on the way to a match in Yuma.

Name:  E2EECD57-0EB2-4178-AC02-78ADF9D0F37C.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  63.6 KB

Dinner in process.

Name:  E82252B2-0608-42D3-BD1F-A6B63F41878F.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  42.8 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The 2020 Transits, with AWD, now have our attention. The Crew version is something I want to see. Having to watch-out for ground clearance issues is understandable, and will probably be acceptable. Living where some amount of cooling/AC is needed, most of the year, will be the largest concern, for conversion/modification.

As for toilets and kitchens, we might want to rig those into a small trailer. We used to follow a company that made a high-clearance back-country type of trailer largely dedicated to being a quite nice field kitchen. (Their site has not worked for a while.) Other than the ability to make coffee/tea, or warm-up something small, I like the idea of moving the cooking outside the passenger/living space, and the more I look into the various toilet set-ups, I am thinking that keeping the toilet outside seems better.
    Last edited by Rex G; 01-12-2020 at 11:45 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Parked in the desert, last light, on the way to a match in Yuma.

Brings back many happy memories.

Some additional toilet tech, for those interested. Seems a little bulky, but interesting nonetheless. Particular,ynthe oart about venting the stink to the outside haha.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Some additional toilet tech, for those interested. Seems a little bulky, but interesting nonetheless. Particular,ynthe oart about venting the stink to the outside haha.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Thanks guys.

I'm not *planning* on sleeping in it, but *might* wind up sleeping in it. It may just be more of a mobile base station for other activities, road trips, etc. It could well be that it winds up parked in a hotel lot every single night, and I wouldn't cry about that one bit. But we'd have it as a more comfortable option than motoring out of the family truckster. Take it to matches, take it when we shoot sporting clays, other outdoor activities, etc.
    If you aren’t planning on sleeping in it, you shouldn’t be thinking about pooping in it.

You don’t shit in the camper (or van) unless it’s absolutely unavoidable.
    Last edited by BigD; 01-15-2020 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    You don’t shit in the camper (or van) unless it’s absolutely unavoidable.
    I agree, but I think his OP said there are unavoidable situation in his life right now.

User Tag List