Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprinter/Camper-Van/Class-B RV Owners?

Sprinter/Camper-Van/Class-B RV Owners?

I'm talking mostly about the <~144" wheelbase type like the Ford Transit and Mercedes Sprinter (I guess there is no Dodge Sprinter anymore?), not so much the Class A/B/C full on camping type RVs.

Wondering if folks here have them, what you do with them, how you like them, etc. Do you have a toilet/shower other facilities in yours? If so, grey/black water tank(s) or the simple bag-it? seating/bedding configuration and any house rules on passengers?

Also interested in hearing from folks that have experiencing towing smaller (<5000lbs) loads with them.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 06-04-2020 at 08:19 AM.

@RJ - our hauling guru

We recently got a short wheelbase 4WD Sprinter rig, made by Storyteller Overland, and our thrilled. The model is the Mode and it is incredibly versatile. Storable shower, beds that fold up allowing a gear garage, and Volta lithium battery system that can allow you to run the AC all night, off grid, with internal battery capability.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

We had a 2009 Freightliner (nee MBZ) 170" 4 wheel (single rear wheel) RV Class B conversion done by Roadtrek (Toronto Canada) and ran it for a season for extended travel across the US and Canada.

Lot of fun.

Small though. After 9 months we were still married, but it was touch and go. You have to be pretty simpatico with your partner for it to work. A 144" is even smaller.

A Sprinter is tall and narrow. Ours fit into most parking spots, just the back overhung a bit sometimes. V6 Diesel was strong and reliable. We got into the 20s for mpg. Had no issues up / down interstate 6% grades across USA/Rockies. Had a 5,000 lb hitch but we did not tow, I used it for bikes.

Our rig:

Attachment 46790

At Desert View Campground, Grand Canyon:

Attachment 46791

Cabin Interior:

Attachment 46792

Thanks guys.

I'm not *planning* on sleeping in it, but *might* wind up sleeping in it. It may just be more of a mobile base station for other activities, road trips, etc. It could well be that it winds up parked in a hotel lot every single night, and I wouldn't cry about that one bit. But we'd have it as a more comfortable option than motoring out of the family truckster. Take it to matches, take it when we shoot sporting clays, other outdoor activities, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    We recently got a short wheelbase 4WD Sprinter rig, made by Storyteller Overland, and our thrilled. The model is the Mode and it is incredibly versatile. Storable shower, beds that fold up allowing a gear garage, and Volta lithium battery system that can allow you to run the AC all night, off grid, with internal battery capability.
    that's pretty badass
    https://storytelleroverland.com/modevans/

I'd love to have one of those, but I doubt we'd ever leave pavement, or gravel/dirt at the absolute worst.

Plus, if I put my two kids in that backseat, that close together, we'd have blood on the floor before the first stoplight.

Site Supporter
    I’ve been looking at more diy options along the lines of this “custom” from an established shop.

This one is pretty basic with an option to sleep if you want it but more versatile than some of the vans that are built to be more “live able”.

http://www.creativemobileinteriors.c...Flip-Down_Bed/

ETA: basic in layout. I could do without the tv’s and electronics package.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 01-06-2020 at 05:27 PM.

Site Supporter
    I have been interested in a Mercedes sprinter ever since I found out they have a 4x4 diesel model.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Thanks guys.

I'm not *planning* on sleeping in it, but *might* wind up sleeping in it. It may just be more of a mobile base station for other activities, road trips, etc. It could well be that it winds up parked in a hotel lot every single night, and I wouldn't cry about that one bit. But we'd have it as a more comfortable option than motoring out of the family truckster. Take it to matches, take it when we shoot sporting clays, other outdoor activities, etc.
    https://www.vandoit.com/fordtransitdo
    Probably the most modular option out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just wish the damn thing could tow more when in camper build. One of those and an open car trailer with the track car is my dream tour the country rig; go and hit all the major/historic road courses out there.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

User Tag List