Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprinter/Camper-Van/Class-B RV Owners?

In our class B, the enclosed toilet structure was eliminated, and we have a cassette toilet in a flex space area that can be storage or an additional sleeping area. The cassette toilet is available, but we have yet to use it. We can carry loads of gear, even dirt bikes, or a full target practice set-up. Our beds fold into a working table suitable for Gunsmithing a long gun. As I said in a previous post, lots of flexibility in the design of Sprinter vans.

Name:  1CC791BD-BC07-4D8D-B6E6-A343D935D176.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  40.9 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    What about just building out a smaller box truck? Is the size difference really that much of a hinderance?

It'd make it easier to insulate and build yourself, as well, if you want a project.
    For people on a budget, this is a fantastic motorcycle hauler concept.

Penske sells its rentals at ~100k miles, which is well broken in for a professionally maintained GM truck. They have a 12-foot box van with a GMC Savana cab. The box is the same footprint (length and width) as a 155-in. WB van body, but it's taller and squarer, so much more useful and easier to work with. It's on the shorter wheelbase, I think 139 inches. Unlike most box trucks, the load floor is the same height as for a van body, about 30 inches. Single rear wheel axle. 9900 lb GVWR, I believe. They all have the 4.8L, unfortunately, but at least newer ones have the six speed.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    For people on a budget, this is a fantastic motorcycle hauler concept.

Penske sells its rentals at ~100k miles, which is well broken in for a professionally maintained GM truck. They have a 12-foot box van with a GMC Savana cab. The box is the same footprint (length and width) as a 155-in. WB van body, but it's taller and squarer, so much more useful and easier to work with. It's on the shorter wheelbase, I think 139 inches. Unlike most box trucks, the load floor is the same height as for a van body, about 30 inches. Single rear wheel axle. 9900 lb GVWR, I believe. They all have the 4.8L, unfortunately, but at least newer ones have the six speed.
    “Light duty box trucks” here, or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Do you have HoA reg that says you have to park in the garage? Might limit you to only the lowest Transit or Sprinter, not that it would be all bad. I have thought about the lowest and shortest Transit that could probably be somewhat fun to drive with nicer tires and the turbo V6. My current F-150 has a 163" wheelbase, the short Transit is only 130" (a Honda Odyssey is 118").

I think you got the wrong link pasted into your post. At least, the one you used doesn't seem to have anything to do with Penske used trucks.

The model I was talking about is GMC Savana G33503, under "Light Duty Box Truck." The yellow ones with the roll-up rear door. White ones have a bigger box and higher load floor, although they also may come with a 6.0L.

Before you take delivery, they have their mechanics go over it and make sure everything is good to go, and they strip the Penske livery off it. Which is awesome, because I've already spent far too much of my life destickering cars. It will still be big and yellow.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Do you have HoA reg that says you have to park in the garage? Might limit you to only the lowest Transit or Sprinter, not that it would be all bad. I have thought about the lowest and shortest Transit that could probably be somewhat fun to drive with nicer tires and the turbo V6. My current F-150 has a 163" wheelbase, the short Transit is only 130" (a Honda Odyssey is 118").
    currently no HOA. 1.25 acres on a deadend with pretty much nobody to bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I think you got the wrong link pasted into your post. At least, the one you used doesn't seem to have anything to do with Penske used trucks.
    yep, I sure did. that was weird. I wondered how that page wound up open on my screen.

The model I was talking about is GMC Savana G33503, under "Light Duty Box Truck." The yellow ones with the roll-up rear door. White ones have a bigger box and higher load floor, although they also may come with a 6.0L.

Before you take delivery, they have their mechanics go over it and make sure everything is good to go, and they strip the Penske livery off it. Which is awesome, because I've already spent far too much of my life destickering cars. It will still be big and yellow.
    so, as a specific example, this guy? I don't know what I'd personally do about the additional 3-5 seats I need for passengers though, but it's a cool option for what you're talking about for MX or whatever.
    https://www.penskeusedtrucks.com/inf...l?unit=9123303

interesting commentary from the Vandoit guy on why they work with Ford vans.

so, as a specific example, this guy? I don't know what I'd personally do about the additional 3-5 seats I need for passengers though, but it's a cool option for what you're talking about for MX or whatever.
    https://www.penskeusedtrucks.com/inf...l?unit=9123303
    Yeah, one of those. I have an old GMC Savana cargo van. Have used it for hauling motorcycles and other desert trips. If I replace it with another one, it will be one of those Penskes.
    Not another dime.

Hammertime
    interesting commentary from the Vandoit guy on why they work with Ford vans.

The Ford Transit is based on the F150 (1:58)? News to me. Hard to listen to anything else he says after that.

Quote Originally Posted by paperman View Post
    https://www.vandoit.com/fordtransitdo
    Probably the most modular option out there.
    This is becoming more and more interesting to me.

It seems as though I might be able to get a pretty stripped down, 8-seater (3 mid row, 1+2 3rd row), with some minor options and be able to further customize it later/myself as needs or usage changes.

User Tag List