Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprinter/Camper-Van/Class-B RV Owners?

Quote Originally Posted by paperman View Post
    buy the standard passenger ford transit or Mercedes sprinter and remove the seats you don’t want.
    Ford has what they call a Crew Van (in all three heights) that looks like a mullet configuration, business up front and party in the back.
    Name:  Crew Transit.JPG
Views: 579
Size:  32.0 KB
    Last edited by mmc45414; 01-07-2020 at 01:12 PM.

There are a lot of portable toilet options out there from composting to ones that flush like normal. As long as they are secured they are not an issue.
    And maybe some good inspiration out here:
    https://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-a-vanlife.58/
    I remember reading one thread about using a macerator toilet that cold be slowly pumped into the exhaust to steam things off as you proceed on your "expedition"...

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Ford has what they call a Crew Van (in all three heights) that looks like a mullet configuration, business up front and party in the back.
    Name:  Crew Transit.JPG
Views: 579
Size:  32.0 KB
    Except they only go up to 5 total seating but with the Passenger van model they have an 8 seat option. And the op did say 7 seats would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except they only go up to 5 total seating but with the Passenger van model they have an 8 seat option. And the op did say 7 seats would be nice.
    I gotta assume that it's possible to put that third row from the passenger version into the crew model. From what I can tell the main difference is the passenger has a window in the back for the 3rd row of seats.

Whoops, missed that. But I think the passenger vans go with windows all the way back, potentially liming the camper buildout part. Maybe would have to pick adding or substracting seats...

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I gotta assume that it's possible to put that third row from the passenger version into the crew model. From what I can tell the main difference is the passenger has a window in the back for the 3rd row of seats.
    Yup, my understanding is the passenger van will be all windows.
    There are lots of options for adding a couple more seats, I would think.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 01-07-2020 at 01:28 PM.

again, without getting into too much (gory?) detail, the need for a toilet is part of what's driving the train here, so the yes/no to toilet is already decided. If the toilet is "no" then so is the whole endeavor.

That said, lessons learned, the finer points of tank vs composting, etc. are all welcome topics of discussion.
    I know nothing about RV bag type toilets. I’ve done a lot of traveling with a folding plastic kids potty with liners (and crapping through ammo crates in a different life), anyways throw a wad of paper towels in the bottom of the bag to absorb liquids, tie it and toss it.

Black water tanks are a hassle. Let it sit too long and it will get caked with crap, don’t let it brew long enough and it will get caked with crap. You need sewage hookup or you’re going to be dumping in buckets and hauling it to a toilet. If you don’t like melt in your fingers RV toilet paper, you should be disposing of regular TP in a trash can. Also the rubber floor seals are wear items and need to be replaced every year or two. If you use it enough that you’re filling it every 7-28 days, it might be worth the hassle.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Not sure on that would have to ask ford, but from the photo on the ford site it looks like the crew van has just second row seating with the standard cargo floor for the rest of the van.

re: toilets, interesting option from the vandoit guys youtube

Sprinter/Camper-Van Owners?

re: toilets, interesting option from the vandoit guys youtube

The only downside is it’s $700 price tag

Last edited by paperman; 01-07-2020 at 01:37 PM.

again, without getting into too much (gory?) detail, the need for a toilet is part of what's driving the train here, so the yes/no to toilet is already decided. If the toilet is "no" then so is the whole endeavor.

That said, lessons learned, the finer points of tank vs composting, etc. are all welcome topics of discussion.
    Then I’d say run away as fast as you can. If you’re not doing a black water tank, you can save a lot of money and get more versatility out of a portable travel toilet and liners. Black water tanks are a major inconvenience if you’re not living at RV sites with a sewage dump.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

User Tag List