Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprinter/Camper-Van/Class-B RV Owners?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Going to the “bathroom” in smaller than airliner sized aircraft, and class B RVs is much better in concept than reality.
    I can see that people are going to keep harping on this portion of the discussion...

totally understand that. However, it's a requirement of the concept, and isn't intended to be used repeatedly/frequently/often.

Hopefully we can move on from the toilet topic beyond the yes/no and into finer points, space requirements, considerations, etc.

As mentioned, no toilet, no rv/sprinter.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I can see that people are going to keep harping on this portion of the discussion...

totally understand that. However, it's a requirement of the concept, and isn't intended to be used repeatedly/frequently/often.

Hopefully we can move on from the toilet topic beyond the yes/no and into finer points, space requirements, considerations, etc.

As mentioned, no toilet, no rv/sprinter.
    Then I would say NO Sprinter. Bathroom on this sort of vehicle is for emergency use not regular use, unless you are the kind of person that would put an outhouse in their family room.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Then I would say NO Sprinter. Bathroom on this sort of vehicle is for emergency use not regular use, unless you are the kind of person that would put an outhouse in their family room.
    "emergency" use is exactly the intent.

A sealed bucket would be a lot more cost effective. Most people with a Sprinter are prob peeing in a bucket.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I *love* the idea of this. The two issues I see are that the wife is unlikely to share my affinity for the aesthetic, and that the price/scope is probably beyond our needs.
    Then I would suggest staying away from any companies that custom build the van for you and either diy or just buy the standard passenger ford transit or Mercedes sprinter and remove the seats you don’t want.

And if you don’t need a high roof that can save you about $4000

But if you want a better engine or diesel your looking at adding $2000-$6000 depending on transit or sprinter and powertrain options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if there's a way to lease/rent one for an extended period that wouldn't be cost-prohibitive but would give us a chance to test the concept. Just having a smaller Class B or something for a typical one-week rental cycle wouldn't really be enough.

We rented a big Class A a couple of years ago, so I'm not going into this totally blind, and even with a "full" bathroom in that thing and a ton more room we still only used the facilities in "emergencies" or where the convenience was too much to ignore.

ETA:
    yes, apparently there is!
    https://rvshare.com/
    Last edited by rob_s; 01-07-2020 at 01:02 PM.

There are a lot of portable toilet options out there from composting to ones that flush like normal. As long as they are secured they are not an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by paperman View Post
    Then I would suggest staying away from any companies that custom build the van for you and either diy or just buy the standard passenger ford transit or Mercedes sprinter and remove the seats you don’t want.

And if you don’t need a high roof that can save you about $4000

But if you want a better engine or diesel your looking at adding $2000-$6000 depending on transit or sprinter and powertrain options.
    that's kind of where I'm landing, at least to start with. I have some more reading to do on the various options, and I need to scour the used market. Dodge/Ram, Ford, and MB all have different configurations. Might get lucky and find a used one I can start with.

As far as towing goes, while they only seem to be rated for max of ~6500 pounds, I wonder how much of that is because of the unibody. They have the option of being dual rear wheel and can be equipped with the same 3.5 as my F-150, and my truck is rated to tow 11,300. My rule of thumb on tow ratings is if you are towing something routinely on a road trip you are probably going to be happy being closer to half of the rating, but if you want to go rent an implement or something you can get it home without screwing up your truck. So far my towing experience with the F-150 was with our former boat I estimated to weigh between 7-8,000 pounds and it towed it well. But if I were going to drag a camper to Alaska I would shop for something lighter than that.

All that said, I might be inclined to consider the Transit at a little closer to the "limit" on towing, because the limitation might be structure between the hitch and the axle, not a limitation of the powertrain. But this is just a SWAG based on my experience with my truck.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I got all fired up about a new van a couple years ago. Research I did on the Sprinter indicated they are liable to get expensive and difficult to have repaired unreasonably early if they are new enough to have DEF systems. If they are not new enough to have DEF systems, they are ~2008 (from memory here) or older, and that makes them an older German vehicle, which is liable to get expensive and difficult to have repaired unreasonably often.

Wasn't able to solve the various problems that seem to affect me but not most other people (at least as much), so I'm still driving the old van for now.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List