Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprinter/Camper-Van/Class-B RV Owners?

No “camping” as yet and so far nobody has needed the toilet, but we have taken it out to the beach and the inter coastal a few times and having a place to shelter from a storm, get cooled off, change, wash or feet, keep lunch and beverages cold, etc. has been great. Hoping to drive it up to an action steel match later today. Had a 30 amp outlet added outside the house so we can get her cooled down before a trip all on our own, and planning on adding a dump station into our own septic system so we can be fully self contained if we wannabe.

Pic the wife took yesterday while floating in the intercoastal.
    Name:  BEA3CE47-E30A-40E0-9DD8-176CE24E98A1.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  76.2 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Pic the wife took yesterday while floating in the intercoastal.
    That is the kinda stuff that gets included in the brochures.

This thread has had me thinking, and also caused me to admit that I have what I need already. Maybe some day I might get a slide in for the F-150, but really all I need now is someplace I can sleep for a few hours or a couple of nights, and I have a nice commercial cap from when I was working with my wife and using the truck in a light duty commercial role. Now it is hoisted up in the shed, but I will probably get more serious about getting things setup so I can easily drive under it and lower it onto the truck. We get too much utility with the open truck bed to leave it on, but I need to be a better quick change artist. Of course this means I will actually have to do something, which is not as easy as dreaming/scheming/planning for the future!

Well we’ve got out first camping trip planned. 10 days, 4 stops, up the east coast of Florida to South Carolina and back again, 2-3 nights in each spot. I stipulated to wife I want to wake up and go to sleep in the same location for each stop at a minimum. No staying one night and then getting back on the road.

Wife has a lot of concerns now about having room to pack all the junk and all the food for 4. I’m slightly less concerned and am ordering a swinging hitch arm today and picking up an aluminum hitch basket from Harbor Freight ASAP. From my perspective, I don’t think we will be on the road more than a couple hours on any one day so if we have to cram snit in to the van between stops then so be it.

I think she’s got us at 3 state parks and one KOA.

Re:storage, I built some very lightweight shelves to go in the storage bins. I need to reinforce the joints but otherwise they seem to be a good solution for now.

https://www.facebook.com/35948136439...2394206104338/
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

@rob_s from the links you posted, it seems that an interior height of 6'2" is pretty standard (with the exception of the Winnebago with the pop up). Correct?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    @rob_s from the links you posted, it seems that an interior height of 6'2" is pretty standard (with the exception of the Winnebago with the pop up). Correct?
    as I don't think would surprise anyone, there's a ton of caveats on these listed dimensions. For example, just about any van built on a Ram Promaster is going to have a raised step in the back, and then the AC unit typically sticks down a couple of inches in that area... so it's hard to fully quantify. The dimensions listed on the sites tend to be max clear heights and everything decreases from there.

If you look at a Pleasureway OnTour 2.2 however, built on a Ford Transit chassis, there's no rear step AND they list 6'-6" clear height inside the van, so I'd bet I could walk under the AC unencumbered or close to it. But the Ram has a wider interior room, so there's that to consider.

OnTour 2.2 interior shot

Lexor interior You can see the step, just barely. everyone goes out of their way to take photos that don't accentuate or even conceal it. We had no idea it would be there when we first saw our van.

Well, we've been thoroughly enjoying the camper locally, and this weekend we head out to a campground 30 min away for our first overnight test flight, and then head out on a 10 day adventure.

Lots of tinkering, money spent, fiddle-fart, etc. but I think we're pretty ready.

Last thing I'm still trying to figure out is a means to secure a pistol in the van. I have an "extra" lock box but trying to come up with the best place to install it given the extreme space premium in a Class B...

ETA:
    Oh, and yours truly christened the toilet.

Followed by an unavoidable valet situation (long story) during which one of the valets decided to piss in the toilet but then clearly panicked when they couldn't figure out how to flush or clean up (water pump stays turned off). Got us a free two night stay at the Marriott!

I was out in Winter Park, CO a few weeks ago, and I swear I couldn’t swing a dead Honey Badger without hitting one of these type RVs. I don’t remember seeing them the last time I was in CO in 2017. Definitely on my lust list...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Got back two days ago from our first real trip. Stayed at Anastasia State Park in St. Augustine, then Hunting Island State Park near Beaufort, SC, and then Ft. Clinch State Park on Amelia Island, FL. We were supposed to stay the last three nights at a county park in Sebastian, FL but the forecast called for 50% r greater chance of rain so we decided to bail on that and go stay at the JW Marriott in Orlando for two nights instead. We had rain on and off at Ft Clinch and it was enough un-fun that we all figured we deserved some AC, a comfy bed, and a little space. Got a great deal on two adjoining rooms and then spent more on food and beverage in two days than on the whole rest of the trip combined

That's one thing that really has me sold on the utility of the Class B. We sometimes opted to park in RV or oversized parking because of our hitch basket, but we could also take that off and still fit into most normal surface lots. For us, that flexibility even on a "camping trip" is huge.

The girls, 9 and 12, shared a 3-4 person tent that they were solely responsible for. Overall went well but the cheap-o proof-of-concept tent didn't entirely survive so now we're looking at a better quality replacement, perhaps two smaller tents so they each have their own. Also somewhat considering a very small teardrop we could tow behind.

re: the shitter, wife and I used it, sparingly, kids used it in emergencies. No smell issues, dumping black and grey was easy at state park dump sites, etc. wouldn't buy an RV without a toilet, and wouldn't non use a toilet in an RV. Too damn convenient. We even went #2 (at least I did, no idea what anyone else was doing in there!).

Bought a griddle, 17" Blackstone, at the last minute and cooked a ton of shit on that. Would recommend never camping without one. Hooked right up to the propane tank on the RV, and gave us way more cooking options than we would have had without one.

I want an easier way to make hot coffee. Wife doesn't mind the current process but to me it's a pain. I wound up drinking mostly iced, which was fine on the hot days anyway.

We opted for e-scooters for everyone. Great fun in town, and somewhat useful in camp. Bikes would be better in camp but they are bulkier and would be a no-go in town. Set the scooters plus some other dirty items in a Harbor Freight hitch basket (mounting arm trimmed to be as short as possible) attached to a Kuat Pivot 2 passenger-side swingarm. Worked out great! Just need a better way to secure/cover the gear than a tarp and bungies as that system takes too damn long. used some CURT 18050 61-Inch Bike Rack Support Straps hitched to the top of the back doors to take some load off and reduce bounce. Worked out great.

If you have any inclination toward RVing of any kind, get a damn outdoor carpet. This thing was the single best purchase. If you can find room for a leaf-blower in your ride to keep it clean, even better!. We bought this one. We also had some Surf Grass right at the door to clean feet further. Shoes at all times when not on the carpet, shoes or bare feet allowed on carpet, bare feet only on surf grass and in van.

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

{ snip }

I'm sure I'll think of more later.
    Outstanding.

The only way to really understand what works, and what does not, in a Class B, is to go camping. Sounds like ya'll are having a ton of fun! Enjoy.

PS On the coffee, I was the only consumer in our rig, but if I had to do it over again, I'd get a single-serving Keurig and call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    PS On the coffee, I was the only consumer in our rig, but if I had to do it over again, I'd get a single-serving Keurig and call it a day.
    we are filling up two fullsize Yeti cups every morning, so we need about 50 oz of brewed coffee total.

User Tag List