Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprinter/Camper-Van/Class-B RV Owners?

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    I just wish the damn thing could tow more when in camper build. One of those and an open car trailer with the track car is my dream tour the country rig; go and hit all the major/historic road courses out there.
    Fortunately all I’m looking to tow is a golf cart or side-by-side. But I’m surprised there aren’t better engine options to be able to do what you’re talking about. I’m sure there are, on the custom side.

5k lbs towing seems to be the standard for these things and, as you mention, I have to assume that loading down the vehicle with creature comforts affects that in some way.

I found these guys. Seems more in line with what I’m looking for than a full camper.

https://www.waldoch.com/upload/broch...20Brochure.pdf

Truthfully I mostly want a road-trip wagon with a toilet inside (because:reasons we don’t need to get into).

Would be awesome to get 7-seats with a toilet, preferably in the back so it’s accessible from the rear/outside.

The neat thing about a Sprinter is how you can configure it to meet your needs. Want an Amazon delivery van, yes. Want a family hauler with a potty, yes. Want a plush, scaled RV like RJ had, yes. Want a flex space, 4WD adventure van like the Storyteller Overland Mode, yes. It really feels like a Cessna Caravan minus the wings.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'm not *planning* on sleeping in it, but *might* wind up sleeping in it. It may just be more of a mobile base station for other activities, road trips, etc.
    A regular van with removable seats is very versatile, and can be tailored to most activities by adjusting passenger carrying for cargo space.

No one has ever had a toilet leak or waste spill from that toilet that they did not have. You probably understand that a super raunchy ass volcano needs to be saved for a gas station that you can flee at 70mph. Kids on the other hand that’s no different than taking a leak.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

I'm talking mostly about the <~144" wheelbase type like the Ford Transit and Mercedes Sprinter (I guess there is no Dodge Sprinter anymore?), not so much the Class A/B/C full on camping type RVs.

Wondering if folks here have them, what you do with them, how you like them, etc. Do you have a toilet/shower other facilities in yours? If so, grey/black water tank(s) or the simple bag-it? seating/bedding configuration and any house rules on passengers?

Also interested in hearing from folks that have experiencing towing smaller (<5000lbs) loads with them.
    I have a PT job where I drive a Mercedes Sprinter with a full shop (tool chest / bench / part washer / air compressor / inventory storage) in the back. It's very drivable though I haven't used it to tow anything. We've run into some issues with the auxiliary battery and cold weather. I spoke to someone recently about solar and we may look into attempting a conversion.
    Last edited by jc000; 01-07-2020 at 10:13 AM.

Sprinter/Camper-Van Owners?

I found these guys. Seems more in line with what I’m looking for than a full camper.

https://www.waldoch.com/upload/broch...20Brochure.pdf

Truthfully I mostly want a road-trip wagon with a toilet inside (because:reasons we don’t need to get into).

Would be awesome to get 7-seats with a toilet, preferably in the back so it’s accessible from the rear/outside.
    https://www.vandoit.com/fordtransitdo

Vandoit do package is the open floor plan with an internal “skeleton” track system, with nearly unlimited attachment points for mounts, hooks, racks, tie downs and shelves to allow for hauling of anything.

This allows for the creation of anything from an adventure van, to primary vehicle, mobile office, repair shop and anywhere in between.

Drop-down bed platform that folds down from the wall, The bed can be single or bunk beds from single to queen-size, depending on the needs for each trip. The platform can be raised and lowered to a preferred height. This platform can also double as a work table.

Up to 11 passenger seating with our removable seats (2-person & 3-person benches)

has options for shore power, solar systems, battery bank, inverter, and electronics.

Customizable and Removable Toilet
    Dry Flush, battery-powered, fully self-contained, movable, smell-free toilet

The DO can haul up to 20 bicycles, 3 motorcycles, 1 ATV or a LOT of whatever cargo and gear you need to haul, while still being a comfortable adventure van.

Their components page listing all of their options
    https://www.vandoit.com/components

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paperman; 01-07-2020 at 10:13 AM.

damn near everything that's not of Smart FourTwo size is rated to tow 3500#, small/medium SUVs are all 5000#, and full size are at least 7400#.
    towing #s seem to be a thing in the U.S., and i'm almost certain it has to do with costs of testing (aka: .gov ruining all the things.)
    in europe:
    <quote>
    Heavy-duty 3500 models with an 11,030-pound GVWR can haul between 4,936 and 5,485 pounds and tow up to 7,500 pounds.
    </quote>
    Gimme that, and a bucket load of cash, and I'll be happy man.

My jeep is only rated to 3,500# because of the stick shift; if it were a slush box it'd automatically be 5000#. the diesel in the U.S. is rated the same 5000#. in europe that same diesel engine, with either manual or automatic behind it, is rated to 7400#!
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    A regular van with removable seats is very versatile, and can be tailored to most activities by adjusting passenger carrying for cargo space.

No one has ever had a toilet leak or waste spill from that toilet that they did not have. You probably understand that a super raunchy ass volcano needs to be saved for a gas station that you can flee at 70mph. Kids on the other hand that’s no different than taking a leak.
    again, without getting into too much (gory?) detail, the need for a toilet is part of what's driving the train here, so the yes/no to toilet is already decided. If the toilet is "no" then so is the whole endeavor.

That said, lessons learned, the finer points of tank vs composting, etc. are all welcome topics of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by paperman View Post
    https://www.vandoit.com/fordtransitdo

Vandoit do package is the open floor plan with an internal “skeleton” track system, with nearly unlimited attachment points for mounts, hooks, racks, tie downs and shelves to allow for hauling of anything.
    I *love* the idea of this. The two issues I see are that the wife is unlikely to share my affinity for the aesthetic, and that the price/scope is probably beyond our needs.

Going to the “bathroom” in smaller than airliner sized aircraft, and class B RVs is much better in concept than reality.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List