Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprinter/Camper-Van/Class-B RV Owners?

Our Storyteller Overland Mode 4x4 Sprinter has a lithium battery pack that allows us to run the AC all night off the internal batteries.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    You also want to haul your golf cart, I like the looks of some of the cargo capable "toy haulers" though many of them seem bigger than what I want. Back out the cart at bedtime.
    my guess is that we'll be either/or with the golf cart and the teardrop, but you never know. I'm not sure how confident I am in the 5k lbs towing capacity of the Sprinter, but in theory it should be able to tow a small toy hauler with our golf cart inside, but that may be a bit much in the long haul.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

@GJM Do you recall the brand / model of the AC unit in your Overland Storyteller? I took a look at their web site and can't quite figure it out, there, or using other online searches. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    my guess is that we'll be either/or with the golf cart and the teardrop, but you never know. I'm not sure how confident I am in the 5k lbs towing capacity of the Sprinter, but in theory it should be able to tow a small toy hauler with our golf cart inside, but that may be a bit much in the long haul.
    I would feel pretty confident in the towing ability of a Sprinter. But once you got anywhere above hobby level (1,000#) weights, there are a few things to consider. One would be if I were just on the ball. I'd be pretty careful about static weight distribution and trailer balance fore and aft, as it affected the Sprinter. In particular If I were towing something in the region of max capacity, without a sway-reducing geometry hitch i.e. Pivot Point Projection system. I dunno if I would upgrade to a Hensley or ProPride, but I would be looking at least Blue-Ox or similar. Same for weight transfer. Dumping 500# on the end of a Sprinter hitch, with leaf sprung rear springs, would bear some thinking about.

Lastly, I'd look at Gross Combined Weight Rating of the Sprinter, vis a vis how much I would be towing, plus cargo which includes persons. 500# is added to the cargo weight. And It's astonishing really how small the Cargo Carrying Capacity of some vans is, relative to the storage space available. And in the event the trailer I was towing had electric brakes (proportional 0-12V), a Sprinter has a 4 and 7 way trailer connection for lights, but I'm not sure it has (pretty sure they do not) a built-in trailer brake controller. Meaning an aftermarket solution is likely needed.

I'll admit I've not really researched towing with a Sprinter. But I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen anyone with a Class B tow something (anything), out on the road. Generally it was a cargo trailer for work, IIRC. Backing up a Sprinter with a trailer attached would be pretty sporty with the short wheelbase of the combined rig. I'm sure folks get used to it once they know the secret of backing up a trailer, but you'd have to be pretty on the spot. Out of the very few times my wife and I have had animated conversations while RVing, at least one involved backing up the trailer into the space.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    You have discovered the dirty little secret of Class B RVs.

Your choices generally run as follows:

- Camp / Live in temperate, low humidity areas of the country. This includes Rockies in the Spring, Southern California, a few weeks in the desert Southwest in spring and fall, and the Pacific Northwest in the drier part of the year. You can open the windows, turn on the Fantastic Fan on 12V battery power, and enjoy a comfortable, quiet night's sleep. It's awesome when it happens.

Otherwise, you need power, and lots of it, to run the A/C. Choices are:

1) Plug in to 30VAC RV pedestal. House 110VAC will not work. There is simply too much current need to run the A/C on a house adapter. So you are pulling into a campground at night (or plugging into a custom RV power outlet at your house.) And paying the fee ($40-$80) a night. But at least you are cool. Of course, the problem with Class B RV AC units is...they are right above your head. Advanced and bigger designs such as Airstream ducted air and generally larger units (ours was 30') means travel trailers can be quieter. But in a Class B? It sucks. But this is not nearly as bad as...

2) Running the gennie. What most salesman don't show you is the RV with the gennie running. Which they don't, because the typical unit is...right under the bed. It's like a gigantic vibrator under where you sleep...all...night...long. But at least you have power. I would hazard that not more than 1% of people new to Class B RVing pay any attention to this. If you can solve, or at least deal with, the A/C problem, you are vastly better prepared for the van experience than almost anyone else in the market.

For us, we are waiting for:

- A new chassis (2020) 144" 2500 Transit platform with all the refinements
    - Equipped with a Pro Air 12VDC AC unit
    - Packed with sufficient LiFe battery capacity to run it 8 hours (2 kW)
    - And supported by sufficient solar charging to replenish that (400W)
    - By an outfitter with acceptable reputation, warranty and build quality

Right now that coach does not exist. The closest is the Coachmen 22C, but that is on the older 2019 Transit 3500, and is both not new, and longer than I want (I want the 20', 2500. The difference in manuvering a 22' vs 20' van is startlingly large.)

When we get a chance we are going to go to see the Coachmen unit to get an idea of the AC noise when in operation. So far I like what I see, but I am unsure of the Coachmen build quality (vs. LTV, or Pleasureway) and also the user reviews / robustness of the ProAir 12VDC AC unit.
    It does seem that there are some quieter options than others when it comes to rooftop AC. I recall that perhaps it's an optional unit on the Travato... I'll have to try and look it up as it's lost in some youtube that I watched god knows when. I think it was something from these guys
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyU...bdVDRskDxXPQkQ
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    @GJM Do you recall the brand / model of the AC unit in your Overland Storyteller? I took a look at their web site and can't quite figure it out, there, or using other online searches. Thanks!
    Our Mode is 1,000 miles away today, but I believe it is a Swedish company, Dometic, that makes a number of the components used in the Mode.

Two things.

It is the Volta lithium battery pack that gives the Mode its off the grid capability.

On towing, I spoke to a guy who had just towed a UHaul trailer from FL to MT with his Travato. Pretty good size trailer, and he said his gas mileage went from 15 to 14, and he didn’t know it was there in terms of driving feel. With our Raptor with a 6x12 UHaul trailer, we went from 16 to 9 mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Our Mode is 1,000 miles away today, but I believe it is a Swedish company, Dometic, that makes a number of the components used in the Mode.
    Gotcha, thanks. Yep that makes sense, Dometic is the typical supplier of RV Class B A/C units.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    my guess is that we'll be either/or with the golf cart and the teardrop, but you never know.
    I thought you mentioned your girls expressing some initial interest in shooting Clays.

Site Supporter
    We have a large boat and hang out with a group of boaters with large boats. We normally come back into the dock and hook up to shore power for AC because of the two Daschunds. Most of our friends head out Friday afternoon and return Sunday afternoon and run their generators 24/7. I guess we are all accustomed to the generator noise (or in my case partially deaf). Now, CO from generators is another issue all together. Larger boats have a lot of similarity to "RVs".

User Tag List