Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprinter/Camper-Van/Class-B RV Owners?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    But our towing would likely be something along the lines of taking the van up to a sporting clays range 1-2 hours away towing the cart, shoot a round or two, using the van as a kind of tailgating setup more so than camping.
    With a big solar system that can keep it cool if the girls want to sit in it while you keep shooting

I always wanted something like the sprinter as a rig for doing my desired whole country tour of race tracks (and driving them!) My issue is they still don't make something with a big enough tow capacity to handle at least a small enclosed trailer for the car. even an open deck+car is pushing close to the 5000# limit of a sprinter.

Mind you I'm a "bad boy" and will push my jeep beyond it's supposed rated capacity for towing, but not too badly, and I upgraded the braking on it to be more robust. I've never done anything more than a tank of gas out for distance with it like that though.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    With a big solar system that can keep it cool if the girls want to sit in it while you keep shooting
    As they get older I suspect that’s more and more likely. Right now they are 9 and 12 and they still like us

The older one started middle school this year, and was starting the transition to asshole teenager, but the lack of contact with the other asshole pre-teens has bought us some time!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

As they get older I suspect that’s more and more likely. Right now they are 9 and 12 and they still like us
    The day came when the tradeoff of going water skiing but baby sitting the younger kids in the evening when the serious pontoon boat drinking took place was over taken by wanting to stay home with the gazzion cable channels...

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    I always wanted something like the sprinter as a rig for doing my desired whole country tour of race tracks (and driving them!) My issue is they still don't make something with a big enough tow capacity to handle at least a small enclosed trailer for the car. even an open deck+car is pushing close to the 5000# limit of a sprinter.
    I woulda though the Transit would max out higher than #6800, since an F-150 with the same powertrain would do #11k . and the van might even have duals at that rating.

I woulda though the Transit would max out higher than #6800, since an F-150 with the same powertrain would do #11k . and the van might even have duals at that rating.
    https://axleadvisor.com/ford-transit-towing-capacity/
    If you take that site as valid (which apparently aggregates data from the owner's manual) you can max out at 7500# with the right config.

I wonder what the euro tow rating is for one of those (not digging around for it just yet.)
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Hung up on the noisy AC concern. It appears that this unit is know to ru quieter, but not sure if I could or would be able to work want to retrofit one to a brand new RV that came with something else.

https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-m...rofile/mach-10

Mentioned here at the 7:03 mark.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I woulda though the Transit would max out higher than #6800, since an F-150 with the same powertrain would do #11k.
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    https://axleadvisor.com/ford-transit-towing-capacity/
    If you take that site as valid (which apparently aggregates data from the owner's manual) you can max out at 7500# with the right config.
    It is probably lower because it is unibody instead of body on frame. Considering that I might be more inclined to routinely tow closer to max. I have always figured you want to be lower than th rating, though a boat I had was probably 1k over what my 2500 Suburban was rated to do (unless you had the 454 and 4.10 they were not really rated that high). My max tow optioned F-150 did a much better job, but it was longer and has more torque at lower RPM. I always figure if you have a camper or a race car or horse trailer you probably want to be about half of the rating, but the maximum means you can still rent a skid steer without hurting your truck. But after my experience with my truck with a six speed and 3.5, I might be more willing to plan for #6800 on the Transit, and I am not all that sure I want to routinely tow more than that just for recreation.

So given the ac concerns and the thought that we wouldn’t ever “camp” in the thing anyway in the summer, I’m now thinking about the Winnebago Solis. basically a Revel but instead of being on the Sprinter and AWD it’s on the short Ram and 2ws, and adds a pop up for another bed which in turn leads to a lack of Ac. But, because it’s on the shorter wheelbase and overall lighter and smaller it can tow up to 3500 lbs which starts to get way more interesting.

AND they finally came out with a version that has a rear bench seat, so we’d be able to travel as a family more comfortably but also carry passengers when we want to. So, for example, the kids could each bring a friend along, or my parents could ride with us to dinner when we’re in town visiting them, etc. reports are that the foot room for the rear bench is super tight, but we wouldn’t be riding 6 people for days at a time.

Name:  948DCD3A-1C2D-4731-A277-18907AD0D760.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  48.0 KB

put a deposit down on a Pleasure Way Lexor TS. It's pretty much "loaded" and includes 285 W of solar.
    Well, we brought this guy home yesterday. Fully loaded Lexor TS and we got 11% below MSRP without even trying which the Pleasure Way fans tell us is a good price. Left the house at 9am, drive three hours to get there, spent an hour looking it over, an hour at lunch discussing it, and another 3 dealing with paperwork and walkthrough before getting back on the road to get home by 8.

I still think that I’d prefer an On Tour, and Ascent, or even a Roadtrek SS Agile, but this Lexor is what we could find, the wife liked what she saw, and so we went with it.

Yes, the ac is loud, and yes it can only run on shore power or generator (which in turn burns the same gas as the chassis, which has its pros and cons), but we had him start everything up and we laid in the bed and I think I’d be able to sleep like that if needed. Funnily enough we sleep with a sound machine, and a white noise app when on the road, and the ac sounded almost exactly like our white noise machine. So that’s good.

Looking to do a short trip soonish, and I’m looking forward to taking it to shoot some early-morning USPSA matches soon, which is one of my prime use-cases for the class b due to some health issues that make early morning starts away from home difficult for me, that the class b should address.

User Tag List