Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprinter/Camper-Van/Class-B RV Owners?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Just to report the unit we looked at today in TX fell short of our expectations, so we are flying back to TPA tonight. Back to the search.
    Dang, that sucks. What make/model was it, and what was lacking?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Dang, that sucks. What make/model was it, and what was lacking?
    Typical small MBZ Class B.

It ended up not being what we were looking for, in terms of usage type, mileage, and wear and tear. Even if we had renegotiated, there were too many small issues to deal with, at any price. (and this was only after a 20 minute static inspection. I never so much as unhooked it or started the Gennie. Or even the engine for that matter.)

Site Supporter
    Had similar disappointments looking at used boats. My version of excellent condition or like new was different than many sellers

Just finished dinner, and still love our Storyteller Overland Mode.

Name:  CE08E3CD-7C78-49CE-90D6-F85A8846D044.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  50.4 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Just to report the unit we looked at today in TX fell short of our expectations, so we are flying back to TPA tonight. Back to the search.
    Sorry we didn't get to touch base.

We'll catch you next time around.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Sorry we didn't get to touch base.

We'll catch you next time around.
    Count on it Chuck. We made it back tonight via IAH on United. Bummer our flight out of CRP was delayed from the rain I guess, and we had to run right past the Whataburger in Terminal C to meet our connection to TPA. Man.

It was a nice coach, just not for us. The right one will come along at the right time.

Stay safe.

I’m sure everyone else but me already knew this, but in case anyone else dogs this up later, the street price on these things is WAY under MSRP.

Case in point...
    https://www.sunshinestatervs.com/inv...ville-FL-7786/

2021 Coachmen Beyond 22C EB
    New Class B Gas | Gainesville, FL | Stock # 7786
    MSRP$142,221
    Sale Price$99,950

Wife took the kids on a 2.5 week cross-country road trip with a mix of camping and hotel stays and is now really into the idea of a class b. So the tentative plan is to find one in rvshare.com to rent and see how we do.

A few things I’ve gathered from joining a few owners groups...

Re:toilets, the black tank is a non-issue for most people. Yes, they avoid using it unless they have to but some of the concerns posted earlier in the thread seem to be either not a thing or worth the trade offs. In fact, it appears to me that more class b RVS come WITH wet baths than without.

Re: sleeping arrangements, many of these coaches have beds that are not even 6ft long. I’m 73 inches so that’s a problem. I’m tracking models with 76” or more in lengths. Standing up in said RVs with. Y height is also a concern, so that’ll something else I’m tracking.

Re: passengers, not all include 4 seats with shoulder belts. Can be hard to suss out which do and which don’t, but I’m getting the hang of it.

Re: chassis, the Ram chassis seems to be gaining popularity, but I still have concerns. There’s already been one recall on the Ram for some sort of transmission cable. The 2020 Transits don’t appear to have made their way into production RVs yet due to COVID shutdowns primarily. However, one thing I’ve learned is that the Sprinters, being diesel have 2x the towing capacity of the other two chassis. Because of this I think we will probably wind up with the Benz. Rumor has it Pleasrureway will be offering the SWD transit when they are readily available.

Re: towing, if we go with the Sprinter it appears that we could also tow a small teardrop which has a ton of possibilities for extra sleeping for the kids, plus we’d own the teardrop if we ever wanted to use just that for some reason.

Re: power, this is getting interesting and I’m still learning. Basically it sounds like many of these coaches don’t have enough onboard power to provide max ac all night. Which means you either get hot, or have to be plugged in. Living in SE Florida where any trip we take Includes 6 hours min to get out of the state, this may be an issue. Still learning about solar, Goal Zero, external inverter generators, etc.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

The 2020 Transits don’t appear to have made their way into production RVs yet due to COVID shutdowns primarily.
    It would also seem like Amazon is buying a shitload of them.

Re: towing, if we go with the Sprinter it appears that we could also tow a small teardrop which has a ton of possibilities for extra sleeping for the kids, plus we’d own the teardrop if we ever wanted to use just that for some reason.
    You also want to haul your golf cart, I like the looks of some of the cargo capable "toy haulers" though many of them seem bigger than what I want. Back out the cart at bedtime.

Re: power, this is getting interesting and I’m still learning. Basically it sounds like many of these coaches don’t have enough onboard power to provide max ac all night. Which means you either get hot, or have to be plugged in. Living in SE Florida where any trip we take Includes 6 hours min to get out of the state, this may be an issue. Still learning about solar, Goal Zero, external inverter generators, etc.
    You have discovered the dirty little secret of Class B RVs.

Your choices generally run as follows:

- Camp / Live in temperate, low humidity areas of the country. This includes Rockies in the Spring, Southern California, a few weeks in the desert Southwest in spring and fall, and the Pacific Northwest in the drier part of the year. You can open the windows, turn on the Fantastic Fan on 12V battery power, and enjoy a comfortable, quiet night's sleep. It's awesome when it happens.

Otherwise, you need power, and lots of it, to run the A/C. Choices are:

1) Plug in to 30VAC RV pedestal. House 110VAC will not work. There is simply too much current need to run the A/C on a house adapter. So you are pulling into a campground at night (or plugging into a custom RV power outlet at your house.) And paying the fee ($40-$80) a night. But at least you are cool. Of course, the problem with Class B RV AC units is...they are right above your head. Advanced and bigger designs such as Airstream ducted air and generally larger units (ours was 30') means travel trailers can be quieter. But in a Class B? It sucks. But this is not nearly as bad as...

2) Running the gennie. What most salesman don't show you is the RV with the gennie running. Which they don't, because the typical unit is...right under the bed. It's like a gigantic vibrator under where you sleep...all...night...long. But at least you have power. I would hazard that not more than 1% of people new to Class B RVing pay any attention to this. If you can solve, or at least deal with, the A/C problem, you are vastly better prepared for the van experience than almost anyone else in the market.

For us, we are waiting for:

- A new chassis (2020) 144" 2500 Transit platform with all the refinements
    - Equipped with a Pro Air 12VDC AC unit
    - Packed with sufficient LiFe battery capacity to run it 8 hours (2 kW)
    - And supported by sufficient solar charging to replenish that (400W)
    - By an outfitter with acceptable reputation, warranty and build quality

Right now that coach does not exist. The closest is the Coachmen 22C, but that is on the older 2019 Transit 3500, and is both not new, and longer than I want (I want the 20', 2500. The difference in manuvering a 22' vs 20' van is startlingly large.)

When we get a chance we are going to go to see the Coachmen unit to get an idea of the AC noise when in operation. So far I like what I see, but I am unsure of the Coachmen build quality (vs. LTV, or Pleasureway) and also the user reviews / robustness of the ProAir 12VDC AC unit.

User Tag List