Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A pair and a spare: all identical?

A pair and a spare: all identical?

I started wondering about this over the weekend. If you subscribe to the philosophy of having “a pair and a spare” do you set them up identically (or at least as close as possible) or do you mix and match within the same brand and action?

If you’re a Glock person, do you keep 3 G19s or say 2-19s and a 17 or 34? Or do you 19-17-34 since they keep the same action, controls and share a fair amount of parts commonality?

If you HK, do you run 3-P30 or do you mix in a VP9 since the grip feel is very similar and keeps the same controls even though the action is very different?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    I prefer a trio of the same pistol as a main platform. Then I add in a smaller version for warm weather (think Glock 26, 43x, P30sk), and a dedicated version with a light for the nightstand (Glock 17/34, P30L).

That should cover it!

Glocks I wouldn't really worry about identical spares since I can completely rebuild one in about 5 minutes with a 3/32 punch and $35 in parts.
    I do have different models for different purposes though. 26 for carry, 19 for general purpose, 45 for range time/matches. I have several others including a 19X w/RMR and a accessorized 17 but all those are just for curiosity and tinkering more than any real purpose.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    In my case, it's three PX4s - two set up as decock-only and a DAO, all 9x19 so they share the same magazines and holsters. I have a similar setup for K frames - a 4" M10 heavy barrel, another one with a tapered barrel, and an M67. Again, same holsters and speedloaders.

I've always done as close to identical as possible. My Glocks and Berettas are identical.

All my handguns have the same sight pictures.

Glock 26-19-17 for me. But I plan to eventually pick up a backup blue label 26.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Ideally, all identical. Acceptable if they all have the same manual of arms and trigger action. Bonus if the acceptable ones can all use the same mags.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    All my handguns have the same sight pictures.
    Ditto with my PX4s.

Site Supporter
    I'm a G17, G19, G26 guy. All with the same sights, - connector, mag and slide release. I am considering a second G19 in Gen5 (maybe MOS) to implement separate training and carry guns.

In the past I have followed this line. Currently have several vetted guns that could be transitioned to, but I currently carry a P30v1 (LEM), and do not have a spare. I do however have other HK models with a deep history. For example, USP9c LEM was carried for 2 years and 15k, P2000 was carried for 2 years and 10k, P30v3 Da/Sa carried for 5 years and 85k. Performance variation from day to day, is virtually meaningless after a box of fam fire with any of them. For someone newly committed to dedicated training, I do suggest the pair and a spare.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List