Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint Mounting Solution for Benelli SBE3

Aimpoint Mounting Solution for Benelli SBE3

I would like to start using a red dot for turkey hunting and am interested to see if anyone has a good option for mounting something like an Aimpoint T2 on a Benelli Super Black Eagle 3. So far the only option I have seen is to purchase the Benelli pic rail and then mount the optic on top of it. I am concerned that would place the optic higher than would be ideal.

Scalarworks did have a T2 mount but they have discontinued it. Aridus offers a T2 mount for Berettas but not Benelli’s. The only low mount Benelli options I have found are for the M4 and I don’t think they holes line up with the SBE3.

There appear to be several options available for RMR type mount but I was hoping to avoid going this route for the shotgun mainly for durability concerns and exposure of the lenses to precipitation.

I also considered the Aimpoint S1 but I don’t love the idea of rib mounting the optic and the S1 appears to use the T1 generation internals which do not get along with my astigmatism.

Any suggestions regarding mounting solutions or different optics I should consider would be appreciated.

I don’t know if this will fit the SBE, but it if has the same hole spacing as the M2/M4 it should.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com.../mi-bm4-t2.htm

Quote Originally Posted by dcf1981 View Post
    I don’t know if this will fit the SBE, but it if has the same hole spacing as the M2/M4 it should.

Thanks. I am having a hard time figuring out if the factory drilled and tapped SBE receivers are the same hole spacing as the M4.
    Last edited by Coal Train; 01-05-2020 at 02:22 PM.

Botach makes one:
    https://www.botach.com/battle-steel-...ro-sight-base/

I called scalarworks and they said they discontinued the SYNC mount for aimpoints due to lack of interest and that they had a hard time selling the original production run. The owner said that they have the tooling and will make more if there is a demand so if you want one, give them a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    There appear to be several options available for RMR type mount but I was hoping to avoid going this route for the shotgun mainly for durability concerns and exposure of the lenses to precipitation.
    I wouldn't worry too much about either

I also considered the Aimpoint S1 but I don’t love the idea of rib mounting the optic and the S1 appears to use the T1 generation internals which do not get along with my astigmatism.
    Are you sure the S1 is a T1 inside? Could it be that the "1" refers to the fact that it's the first of the S series micros from Aimpoint? I'm not for sure, just pointing out the possibility.

I had a PRO and still have a 4 MOA CompC (both much older tech) and I have no problem with astigmatism unless I look way off axis through my glasses.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 01-05-2020 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about either

Thanks for sharing the videos. I was more concerned with precipitation making the lens difficult to see through, not as much with durability. I think the lens caps of the T2 would help with this. And it also seems like RMR type technology is still evolving (e.g. having to remove the site to change the battery, flashing emitters, etc.). On the other hand many folks seem happy with them on their shotgun so perhaps I should just get past it.

Are you sure the S1 is a T1 inside? Could it be that the "1" refers to the fact that it's the first of the S series micros from Aimpoint? I'm not for sure, just pointing out the possibility.

I had a PRO and still have a 4 MOA CompC (both much older tech) and I have no problem with astigmatism unless I look way off axis through my glasses.
    My assumption about the technology in the S1 was based on this post from GJM. I had the comma dot with my old T1 which was why I was concerned.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-shotgun-optic
    Last edited by Coal Train; 01-05-2020 at 05:22 PM.

Thanks for sharing the videos. I was more concerned with precipitation making the lens difficult to see through, not as much with durability.
    Welcome. As you can see in the sink video, the lens is covered in water droplets and the dot still appears round.

Probably worrying too much about nothing

My assumption about the technology in the S1 was based on this post from GJM. I had the comma dot with my old T1 which was why I was concerned.
    @Wayne Dobbs can likely answer definitively if the electronics and lenses of the S1 are like those of the H1/T1, H2/T2, or something else altogether.

The S1 has T1 guts not T2. It does have a larger dot size which I think is helpful, especially on a shotgun. I have run an S1 in Alaska conditions on a 14 inch Benelli, and have been very satisfied. An RMR maybe makes it when kept covered concealed or in a Safariland red dot holster, but would be a problem on a long gun, where it is exposed to the elements. There has been plenty of discussion lately of open emitter red dots not working in heavy rain, like you might get hunting.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

It appears the M4 mounts should work on the SBE3. I contacted Scalarworks to see if they would start making the T2 mount again and was told, “ We hope to bring it back again one day but we don't have an ETA for that.” so that option is unfortunately probably out for my application.

Anyone have experience with the two options below?

https://hahn-precision.com/benelli-aimpoint-mount/
    Last edited by Coal Train; 01-07-2020 at 05:30 AM.

Any suggestions regarding mounting solutions or different optics I should consider would be appreciated.
    I've been thinking about a dot for my SBE2, but in the end I just put a pic rail on it, and will probably mount a https://www.leupold.com/scopes/compa...-3i-1-5-5x20mm At anything distance where I would just use the FO bead, I'm pretty sure I want a little magnification.

Also, about astigmatism, you're going to want to get that corrected eventually. When I shot a lot of 3-gun, I knew something was wrong with how I saw the dot, but just powered through it, which probably cost me substantially on long shots. I used a 1MOA dot because the blur was smaller. Glasses are a PITA sometimes, but worth it.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List