Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fort Scott Munitions TUI

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad0011 View Post
    Yeah, thatÂ’s it. I use HST 124 gr +p now. HeÂ’s telling me that the tumbling ammo is being used by more LE groups. HeÂ’s served overseas and pointed out the Mil doesn't use HP ammo. I KNOW why I use HP (MAG40 grad), but this guy is in favor of putting more holes in a perp. He doesnÂ’t believe that HPs do the job they are portrayed to do.
    Anyway, he gave me a lot to ponder and so IÂ’m throwing it out here to get some feedback. Got me thinking
    I have never heard of any current LE agencies using tumbling ammo. The closest to a non standard HP I’ve heard of is places the issue Critical Duty, and I’d still rather have Gold Dot or HST.
    My current agency is Gold Dot and two prior ones were HST when I left.

Yeah, thatÂ’s it. I use HST 124 gr +p now. HeÂ’s telling me that the tumbling ammo is being used by more LE groups. HeÂ’s served overseas and pointed out the Mil doesn't use HP ammo. I KNOW why I use HP (MAG40 grad), but this guy is in favor of putting more holes in a perp. He doesnÂ’t believe that HPs do the job they are portrayed to do.
    Anyway, he gave me a lot to ponder and so IÂ’m throwing it out here to get some feedback. Got me thinking
    I'd like to hear what LE agencies he thinks are using "tumbling" ammo.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Everybody is trying to be nice about this, but I'll cut to the chase.

It's crap.

Stick with major manufacturers premium JHP.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Penetrated IIa & IIIa armor, but did not do significantly more damage to the meat target than FMJ:

Light, fast, pointy bullets and speed kills armor. I've seen .22WMR also penetrate body armor. So it would appear this ammo does have some advantage, that is IF you were going off to war against a bunch of adversaries who may be wearing IIa & IIIa armor.

There's also a tendency for smaller ammo makers to attempt to get market share for themselves by bringing out some flavor of Super Kewl Magic Bullet.

Often sold with wildly exaggerated claims of effectiveness (because new magic!), and even the occasional dark hint about use by Sooper Seekrit Skwirrel Black Ops Ninjas.
    This is often a clue: any ammo with either above is usually overpriced Derp.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Got me thinking too. “Served over seas” covers a lot of ground. The tooth to tail ration in the modern military is like 13 or 14 support for each trigger puller. Regardless of what he did “over seas” it doesn’t mean he knows jack shit about terminal ballistics. All it means is he showed up, used what “they” gave him. He had no say in the matter.

My dogs know when it’s time to eat but that doesn’t mean they could tell you how to build a watch.

The only impressive effects I have seen with tumbling bullets were the result of loading a Chinese 5.8 bullet into a .22-250 case used on a smallish quadriped. It was pretty much disemboweled. Can't find the pic on the ballistics studies site right now.

This was the original goal with M-16 ammunition, or so I have read. (Hence the original 1 in 14 or so twist) It never seems to work out with rifles, hard to see how tumbling would work all that well at 1/3 the speed of .22ish rifle.

But "exotic" ammo never dies, it just goes away until folks forget it didn't work, then it comes back with new packaging.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Who is "he"?
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

It would appear to be FMJ promoted by and sold to the people on the "low information" side of things.

Ask yourself this; How many Pros like Larry Vickers, Ken Hackathorn, etc are carrying this stuff.

Nobody.

Downtown Tactical

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Who is "he"?
    Graham at Downtown Tactical, Springfield, Mo

User Tag List