Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Be a gun cleaning hipster

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I’m a weirdo; I split the difference. With revolvers, I clean them thoroughly as soon as I get back from the range. But with SAs, eg. Glocks, I just can’t do it. Call it superstition, but when I get back from a 1911 or Gxx outing, in that moment, I’ve never been more sure of those guns; those magazines; that ammo. As soon as I strip ‘em down... well, I’m just not 100 percent anymore. I mean, I’m 99.x percent sure, but... I’ve had just enough failures on the first round out over the years to always have the doubt in the back of my mind.

Like I say, probably just superstition, especially with the plastic. Maybe I should just Fudd up, and stick to the round guns. I dunno.
    Could you not clean the gun and then shoot a magazine and head home? I have always assumed with glocks if I reassemble and it will shoot out a pencil it will fire a bullet. Then again I don’t always try a pencil in the barrel. I’ve never had one not fire the first round.

I once had a wilson flatwire recoil spring break in 2 spots on what must have been the last shot. Fortunately i shot again a couple hours later.

Id rather inspect parts and trust myself to beable to reassemble correctly.

I dont always clean after just a few mags in autos.

I typically always clean my revolvers

I typically clean after shooting. For me, it is part of the shooting experience. As long as I do not shoot too many firearms in a session, I enjoy the cleaning process. It actually helps me limit the number of guns (mostly to one) I shoot in a session and gives me the opportunity to check for worn or damaged parts.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Could you not clean the gun and then shoot a magazine and head home? I have always assumed with glocks if I reassemble and it will shoot out a pencil it will fire a bullet. Then again I don’t always try a pencil in the barrel. I’ve never had one not fire the first round.
    That’s what I had suggested to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    That’s what I had suggested to me.
    Then you have to worry if that last shot broke something...and so on and so on. There's no winning that OCD loop.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Then you have to worry if that last shot broke something...and so on and so on. There's no winning that OCD loop.
    You are evil. About the time all fear and anxiety had been conquered it tears its ugly head

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Id rather inspect parts and trust myself to beable to reassemble correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Yup x2.

I can manage to work on critical systems on my bikes or cars (brakes, steering, suspension, etc), returning both to operational condition. I can manage do to the same with a gun after cleaning it.

Chris

I do superficial cleaning at the range after completion of practice, e.g., on semiautos firmly wiping the breechface, barrel feedramp and extractor hook, while for revolvers, just wiping the cylinder face, the forcing cone area and inside of the topstrap suffices.

I've kept several of my kids' cloth diapers from over thirty years ago (yes, I'm that old), that I'm still using for this! There's always one in my range bag.

More thorough cleaning, with disassembly in varying degrees beyond field-stripping level, gets done at home "as needed", though attention is always paid to adequate lubrication.

I clean barrels only after getting home, that is, assuming I've shot at least 50 rounds.

(I don't believe boresnakes do much of anything worthwhile for barrel cleaning. I've used them in every caliber, and though they're perhaps better than nothing, it's not by much, as even the most superficial cleaning with patches and brush demonstrates.)

I'll at least run an M-Pro 7 soaked patch down the bore, followed by a few bronze brush passes, followed by another couple patches. For CCW guns, I only wish I could slightly foul the bore afterward with one or two shots, but circumstances don't permit that.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    It's borne out of a fear that a mistake will be made during the cleaning and reassembly process, rendering the gun inoperable.

Chris
    LOL must be people who've never heard of function checks......

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    You are evil. About the time all fear and anxiety had been conquered it tears its ugly head
    You joke, right?

User Tag List