Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Be a gun cleaning hipster

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

Be a gun cleaning hipster

Wipe the soot off before it's cool.

I read it here awhile ago, but I actually remembered to throw a couple paper towels in the range bag tonight. When done shooting, I hit the Ruger with one. 99 percent of the soot wiped right off with just the dry paper towel, including most of the thick buildup on the outside of the cylinder that Hoppes barely makes a dent in if you wait a few days.

Would probably be good to throw some Harbor Freight 5 mil nitrile gloves in, too, to keep the leaded soot off my hands a little better.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I know a guy that as soon as he is done shooting he cleans his guns immediately before leaving the range. I once asked him about it and he said this way he makes sure it’s done. I also found out he doesn’t like the chemicals open in his house and his cat is curious and may get into his solvents. I applaud him I’m sure it makes cleaning easier. I’m not that disciplined.

I'm pretty much that guy. While I was still employed I'd either clean my guns at the range or upon arriving home.

Now when I do LEOSA quals I immediately clean upon going home.

Same when shooting with my neighbors on their property.

It's just the way I've always done it. No sense changing it at this point.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Boresnake -- down the bore and through each charge hole, right after the last cylinder-full. Then a micofiber cloth wipe down. Easy.

These days, cleaning the gun is for before going to the range; the range is the function check after detail stripping and scrubbing.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

I’m a weirdo; I split the difference. With revolvers, I clean them thoroughly as soon as I get back from the range. But with SAs, eg. Glocks, I just can’t do it. Call it superstition, but when I get back from a 1911 or Gxx outing, in that moment, I’ve never been more sure of those guns; those magazines; that ammo. As soon as I strip ‘em down... well, I’m just not 100 percent anymore. I mean, I’m 99.x percent sure, but... I’ve had just enough failures on the first round out over the years to always have the doubt in the back of my mind.

Like I say, probably just superstition, especially with the plastic. Maybe I should just Fudd up, and stick to the round guns. I dunno.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I’m a weirdo; I split the difference. With revolvers, I clean them thoroughly as soon as I get back from the range. But with SAs, eg. Glocks, I just can’t do it. Call it superstition, but when I get back from a 1911 or Gxx outing, in that moment, I’ve never been more sure of those guns; those magazines; that ammo. As soon as I strip ‘em down... well, I’m just not 100 percent anymore. I mean, I’m 99.x percent sure, but... I’ve had just enough failures on the first round out over the years to always have the doubt in the back of my mind.

Like I say, probably just superstition, especially with the plastic. Maybe I should just Fudd up, and stick to the round guns. I dunno.
    Some folks say to never carry a dirty gun. Others say to never carry a completely clean one.

I just finished cleaning a High Standard Sentinel 22 revolver after todays range trip. I had to get myself out of the USMC ingrained habit of over cleaning cleaning AR's and for the most part follow the same reduced cleaning schedule with Glocks and other modern semi auto centerfire pistols. Back when I used to carry a revolver as a duty weapon in the early 90's we were required to clean immediately after every range session. What kind of round count would be expected before fouling affects function in a revolver? I assume fouling at the cylinder gap and in the cylinder chambers would become an issue well before the hundred or thousand rounds between cleaning that I can go with a Glock.

Site Supporter
    I keep a Birchwood Casey Silicone Gun and Reel Cloth and various bore snakes in my range bag. Once the shooting is over, I wipe down the exterior with the cloth and run the bore snake through the barrel a couple times and if shooting a revolver, each chamber twice.

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 01-05-2020 at 06:38 AM.

This, I get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Some folks say to never carry a dirty gun.
    This, I don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Others say to never carry a completely clean one.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyv View Post
    This, I don't.
    It's borne out of a fear that a mistake will be made during the cleaning and reassembly process, rendering the gun inoperable.

Chris

User Tag List