Thread: I'm an idiot and need help with my 1911

Site Supporter

I'm an idiot and need help with my 1911

Ok, so I've messed up somehow. Previous tinkering has been no problem but I recently gathered some new parts for my 9mm Colt Commander (series 80) and have successfully gotten the factory thumb safety stuck in the "On" position and can not get it deactivated to strip the frame back down.

With the grip panels, MSH, and sear spring removed I can see the thumb safeties engagement with the sear and freely manipulate the sear with a dental pick so it does not seemed to be binding there. Hammer is back. Thumb safety detent does not seem to be an issue.

It went together easy enough so it seems it should come apart but I'm obviously missing something and I don't have a gunsmith nearby I trust with it.

I admit I am whipped. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by rd62; 01-04-2020 at 04:38 PM.

Try pulling the hammer a bit farther to the rear than the at-rest full cock position and see if that allows the safety to move.

Once it is out, look for burrs on the frame safety holes. I would also remove any of the aftermarket parts, especially the sear, you installed in the frame. Reassemble with the factory parts and insure there is no issue.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    All the parts function together...pull the hammer back and see if you can't wiggle the thumb safety down.

Edit: Heh, farscott beat me to it.
    Last edited by Darth_Uno; 01-04-2020 at 04:56 PM.

Site Supporter
    Thanks guys. With no MSH or sear spring there is no tension on any of the fcg parts. I've tried the hammer to its fullest position rearward resting against the grip safety with no luck.

Site Supporter
    I found this book very helpful in the pre internet days re the assembly/disassembly of a 1911.

FWIW

https://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Combat.../dp/B001MYCUME

Here are some ideas in no particular order.

With a bit of downward pressure on the thumb safety lock, starting with the hammer at its most rearward position move the hammer incrementally forward and keep moving the hammer forward. If that does not free the thumb safety lock, it is possible, but not likely, the safety lock shaft itself binding on the frame holes.

If the factory safety lock is an ambi, it may not be fully mated. If it is an ambi, gently squeeze it together.

You mentioned the safety detent and spring are not an issue, but another check and a little lube will not hurt.

Are both the sear and hammer the factory parts? If not, those parts and/or combination are likely the issue.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Here are some ideas in no particular order.

With a bit of downward pressure on the thumb safety lock, starting with the hammer at its most rearward position move the hammer incrementally forward and keep moving the hammer forward. If that does not free the thumb safety lock, it is possible, but not likely, the safety lock shaft itself binding on the frame holes.

If the factory safety lock is an ambi, it may not be fully mated. If it is an ambi, gently squeeze it together.

You mentioned the safety detent and spring are not an issue, but another check and a little lube will not hurt.

Are both the sear and hammer the factory parts? If not, those parts and/or combination are likely the issue.
    Thumb safety is factory. Hammer and sear are not.

Site Supporter
    Can you post a picture of the safety and the safety plunger ?
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Did you put on a new beavertail grip safety and keep the factory Commander hammer. They might be binding. I had a guy do that one time but I don't remember what we did. Forced it I think.

Site Supporter
    I kept the original grip safety.

I declared defeat and took it to a local smith a couple weeks ago and he had it apart in under 5 minutes.

He did not reveal his method to me though...

User Tag List