Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sage advice for SBRs

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Even if you engrave the barrel with the maker's information, you're not registering the barrel. You're registering the SBR (a complete rifle), and the registered part is the receiver, the part whose serial number is on the form 1/form 4.

IMO, if you're registering a gun which you might want to turn back into title I, and it's a relatively desirable firearm in title I form (more than a dime-a-dozen AR15 lower), then you might want to consider engraving the barrel. Otherwise, just engrave the receiver.
    My Form 1 lowers are all Hodge MOD 2. I kinda like them staying all OEM looking, and if I change barrels, it's not super hard to have another one engraved. The barrels I prefer are custom Bartlein, anyways, so just one more thing. I'm already spec'ing everything else, what's a line of engraving, basically. No stress. The rest of my SBR/SBS stuff is all factory like my Benelli M4 and so forth, so no engraving required. I'm OCD, I guess, and hate the thought of breaking ano and a billboard. I just put make sure it's visible through an MLOK slot or similar.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 01-21-2020 at 03:52 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    The registration form doesn't have to match the configuration of the gun. It just has to match the configuration of the gun, at the time it was built or transferred. What happens if you build or transfer an NFA gun and then you move to a new residence? Your address has changed, and the information on the form doesn't match anymore. Oh no! Except, it doesn't matter.

You could engrave a serial number (or anything else) on the barrel, but a serial number there doesn't matter for NFA purposes, legally speaking. The maker's info (name and location) and the gun's model and caliber can be either on the receiver or barrel, but the serial has to be on the receiver. See 27 CFR 479.102 (a)(1) and (2).

You could always engrave multiple barrels.
    Didn’t say you couldn’t just intended I wouldn’t and haven’t personally.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post

-OE Maker serial number on receiver/frame.
    -You (form 1) assembler/maker name/city/state located on the barrel or frame, either. Must be visible without altering weapon from its "ready to fire" state. This means not under the grip. Not under the gas block. Not inside the mag-well where it could not be read with an inserted mag. Not on the juncture between the lower/upper. Etc. Imagine an ATF agent can suspend the rifle in the air at time of firing, and inspect it from every angle. During this inspection, they must be able to see/read engraving. Through an MLOK slot on the barrel works. Inner lip of the mag-well (not obscured by mag) works. Etc.

Sage advice for SBRs

Maybe don’t give advice on how to do something you’ve clearly never done before

BATFE has FAQ’s on this crap on their website. You can call the NFA branch and ask questions too: 304.616.4500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Runkle View Post
    Maybe don’t give advice on how to do something you’ve clearly never done before

BATFE has FAQ’s on this crap on their website. You can call the NFA branch and ask questions too: 304.616.4500

I have Form 1’d an SBR. I opted to get the Receiver engraved because it’s a non wearing (or as close as you can get in an AR) part. To me it seems non-sensical to recommend to someone new to NFA to engrave a barrel as it is a wearing part, and something that’s easily changed in an AR. That’s two reasons in my opinion it’s a bad idea. The others then suggested engraving multiple barrels, and I basically logically threw my hands up because that’s the third reason I found in this thread for it to be a bad idea because it’s adding a growing expense.

I tried to leave the thread politely and respectfully. You do you though - I just felt a responsibility to basically go “Eh... I may not do it that way”. It really is up to the end user, but you’re wrong.
    God Bless,

Brandon

I have Form 1’d an SBR. I opted to get the Receiver engraved because it’s a non wearing (or as close as you can get in an AR) part. To me it seems non-sensical to recommend to someone new to NFA to engrave a barrel as it is a wearing part, and something that’s easily changed in an AR. That’s two reasons in my opinion it’s a bad idea. The others then suggested engraving multiple barrels, and I basically logically threw my hands up because that’s the third reason I found in this thread for it to be a bad idea because it’s adding a growing expense.

I tried to leave the thread politely and respectfully. You do you though - I just felt a responsibility to basically go “Eh... I may not do it that way”. It really is up to the end user, but you’re wrong.
    Sorry, I misquoted you (like an asshole) when I thought I was quoting the dude wanting to engrave a barrel.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Runkle View Post
    Sorry, I misquoted you (like an asshole) when I thought I was quoting the dude wanting to engrave a barrel.

You’re good and I apologize - I’m probably more emotionally invested than I should be. I was walking around the house with my son, holding his hands while he was walking and thinking about this whole thing. These internet arguments matter too much to me now - I need other hobbies.

It’s all good.

I was thinking about this too - Colt and Factory SBR’s will keep their value better if you ever wish to resell as an SBR (you cold re-sell as a non-SBR if you sold the upper/lower separately). Also, Form 1’ing via E-File makes a lot of sense these days because apparently it’s taking like 4-6 weeks.

I wish everyone the best.

ETA: My sons 9 months old and can’t walk on his own yet. Thought that’d be worthwhile to add for some clarity - lol.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Cool

So my form 1 came back approved, just need to sell my LTT to fund the upper. I was going to go with a BCM 11.5 but now I'm leaning more twords a SOLGW 11.5. That is unless somebody wants to trade a quality 11.5 upper for the LTT.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    So my form 1 came back approved, just need to sell my LTT to fund the upper. I was going to go with a BCM 11.5 but now I'm leaning more twords a SOLGW 11.5. That is unless somebody wants to trade a quality 11.5 upper for the LTT.
    Awesome!!!!

Have we sufficiently duked it out over engraving? Do you think we have another round in us?

Post pictures when it’s done.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Awesome!!!!

Have we sufficiently duked it out over engraving? Do you think we have another round in us?

Post pictures when it’s done.
    Meh. Engrave what you want. I really dont think it even matters, but the barrel legally qualifies. I have literally only heard of one issue, at an MG shoot.

User Tag List