Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sage advice for SBRs

Site Supporter
    You know - I was just thinking about the BRT Covert Comp. I was at an indoor range with my 11.5” with my father and with each thud of concussion - I thought there has to be a better way.

Then I started down a path for the Compensators to smooth recoil, but then I thought that was just like “I’m good never shooting an SBR indoors again”. Suppressors are a great choice, but I’m underwhelmed with Rifle suppressors.

Along came the Covert Comp - I haven’t asked anyone directly about it, but how is the flash, etc.?

I’m waiting to install an A5 extension on my 12.5”, but I was thinking a Covert Comp may be in the cards. Just a ridiculous amount of velocity and flash coming off of those SBR’s.

I was trying to find a picture but (ETA: ) a fireball the size of a cantaloupe is not inaccurate with an A2.

Thanks,
    Last edited by BWT; 01-08-2020 at 04:55 PM.
    God Bless,

Brandon

At the risk of further derailing the thread, how effective is the VG6 CAGE on a short barrel?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

FWIW I run a 12.5" BCM barrel with carbine length gas. I have a Surefire FH. Buffer is whatever the Vltor A5 is that has 2 tungsten weights (A5 version of H2). Very smooth, has been totally reliable with a variety of ammo, and makes for a really handy size overall. I would not even consider running a brake.

That said, you already have the H1. Why not see how it runs and go from there?
    Last edited by Super77; 01-10-2020 at 03:27 PM.

My .02?

Engrave the barrel, not your pretty lower.
    Get a can.
    Dont be caught up with trying to go as short as possible without considering rail real estate and leverages.
    Accuracy from an SBR is just fine. Short isnt inaccurate, it's just slower so wind holds and distance estimates must be more on point.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 01-20-2020 at 02:21 AM.

Site Supporter
    Why would you engrave a component with a short service life relative to the rest of the gun?
    God Bless,

Brandon

I always thought that the engraving had to go on the lower, since that's the registered part.

Is that not the case?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    I always thought that the engraving had to go on the lower, since that's the registered part.

Is that not the case?
    https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/bl...-through-guide

The Barrel qualifies - it does have to be visible. I don’t know what qualifies on how visible - I just wouldn’t register the barrel. What if you go to a different barrel length or caliber? Swap uppers to same barrel length of a different manufacture? Not on an AR-15 - it might make more sense.

Normally I agree with Unobtanium, just not on this.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    The Barrel qualifies - it does have to be visible. I don’t know what qualifies on how visible - I just wouldn’t register the barrel.
    Even if you engrave the barrel with the maker's information, you're not registering the barrel. You're registering the SBR (a complete rifle), and the registered part is the receiver, the part whose serial number is on the form 1/form 4.

IMO, if you're registering a gun which you might want to turn back into title I, and it's a relatively desirable firearm in title I form (more than a dime-a-dozen AR15 lower), then you might want to consider engraving the barrel. Otherwise, just engrave the receiver.
    Last edited by CleverNickname; 01-20-2020 at 10:20 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Even if you engrave the barrel with the maker's information, you're not registering the barrel. You're registering the SBR (a complete rifle), and the registered part is the receiver, the part whose serial number is on the form 1/form 4.

IMO, if you're registering a gun which you might want to turn back into title I, and it's a relatively desirable firearm in title I form (more than a dime-a-dozen AR15 lower), then you might want to consider engraving the barrel. Otherwise, just engrave the receiver.
    Walk through this example with me. You own AR-15 that you Form 1. You engrave an 11.5” 5.56mm Barrel.

You want to go hunting you go hunting with your .300 Blk upper. What’s marked with the registration info that coincides with the form 1 now?

You could reuse the serial number on the receiver, but you may choose not. What if you’ve serialized the barrel?

See what I’m saying here? You show up with an unmarked (ETA 9” .300 BLK that doesn’t have any engravings.

Or what if you blow the barrel or shoot it out?

I mean silencer manufacturer’s engrave the part of the silencer most likely to survive. Form 1’s are a bit different, but I’m just saying if your going to the pain of engraving it. Engrave the part that makes the most sense - IMHO. You could engrave inside the trigger guard or inside the mag well if you really care that much.

Anyway, the point is illustrated - make the decisions that seem most suitable to you.
    Last edited by BWT; 01-20-2020 at 10:28 PM.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Walk through this example with me. You own AR-15 that you Form 1. You engrave an 11.5” 5.56mm Barrel.

You want to go hunting you go hunting with your .300 Blk upper. What’s marked with the registration info that coincides with the form 1 now?
    The registration form doesn't have to match the configuration of the gun. It just has to match the configuration of the gun, at the time it was built or transferred. What happens if you build or transfer an NFA gun and then you move to a new residence? Your address has changed, and the information on the form doesn't match anymore. Oh no! Except, it doesn't matter.

You could reuse the serial number on the receiver, but you may choose not. What if you’ve serialized the barrel?
    You could engrave a serial number (or anything else) on the barrel, but a serial number there doesn't matter for NFA purposes, legally speaking. The maker's info (name and location) and the gun's model and caliber can be either on the receiver or barrel, but the serial has to be on the receiver. See 27 CFR 479.102 (a)(1) and (2).

See what I’m saying here? You show up with an unmarked (ETA 9” .300 BLK that doesn’t have any engravings.

Or what if you blow the barrel or shoot it out?
    You could always engrave multiple barrels.
    Last edited by CleverNickname; 01-20-2020 at 10:46 PM.

User Tag List