Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: MMA at 45 years old.

I started a couple years before you. Youll be fine, pick the right gym. I started in Muay Thai, Boxing, BJJ, Krav Maga. I love it all. I think a good “real” physical is most important. Be really careful with sparring. I used to spar much more regularly. I think if both parties are mature and careful youll be ok. A lot to be gained from the timing distance experience you get from sparring.

Good luck, I say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    ...so hopefully you don't need to throw them in the garbage or burn them two years down the road (ask me how I know lol)
    I just gave my old gnarly extra stink glove pairs to southnarc to add to his traveling ECQC kit. For anyone taking that excellent course in the future, you’re welcome.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    That’s a good idea. I wrapped my hands as I’m very concerned about damaging my hands/wrists and negatively affecting my shooting. The wraps were very damp when I took them off. The Everlast gloves I bought have a mesh material over the palm of the glove which is supposed to help them dry faster. I’m also using a mesh bag to aid in drying. I don’t want to be the guy with the stinky gear.
    You'll quickly wear out those Everlast gloves if you train a lot (especially if you're a heavy sweater).
    I use Ringside glove style "Gel Quick Wraps", super easy to just throw in the washing machine, plenty of support as well. I have two pair and alternate wearing them.
    For gloves I have Top King Thai style 16oz. gloves. Damn things are almost indestructible and haven't taken on a funk like the cheaper gloves (and I'm a heavy sweater).
    I always open them up fully and store them vertically where the sweat will run out.
    Meister Glove Deodorizers go in my gloves anytime they're not going to be used for a few days.
    Last edited by JodyH; 01-11-2020 at 09:46 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    You'll quickly wear out those Everlast gloves if you train a lot (especially if you're a heavy sweater).
    I use Ringside glove style "Gel Quick Wraps", super easy to just throw in the washing machine, plenty of support as well. I have two pair and alternate wearing them.
    For gloves I have Top King Thai style 16oz. gloves. Damn things are almost indestructible and haven't taken on a funk like the cheaper gloves (and I'm a heavy sweater).
    I always open them up fully and store them vertically where the sweat will run out.
    Meister Glove Deodorizers go in my gloves anytime they're not going to be used for a few days.
    I found those gloves at a discount store for $25 CAD (so like $3 U.S.) and couldn’t pass them up. Plus, I didn’t want to invest too much at the start until I really know what I like for gear or if this is going to be a long term thing (I really hope it will be).

Thanks for the tips on the wraps and Glove deodorizers. I’ll check those out. The tip on the wipes and bag I got from this video:

Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 01-11-2020 at 10:54 AM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    If you're a heavy sweater, you might want to consider taking some thermotabs before you start training. About 500mg of sodium (three tablets) can make a huge difference in endurance for heavy sweaters.
    I just do a ½ tsp of table salt before class and before bed, gives me 1200 mg of sodium per 1/2 teaspoon. Put the salt in a juice cup and add about an ounce of water a couple times until it is down. I’m not a heavy sweater but am a heavy cramper, seems to be helping I can’t remember the last time I woke up with cramps in the middle of the night.
    Last edited by Bratch; 01-11-2020 at 11:34 AM.

Check out deodorizer/sanitizer products marketed to hockey players, there's some really good stuff out there.

I also buy Tea Tree Oil Soap from the local hippie dippy natural store.
    It's a really aggressive anti-bacterial so I pretty much only use it on my upper chest, back of my shoulders and feet. Basically places where there's a lot of "foreign" sweat contact.
    I've never had any issues with the various RTD's (Rolling Transmitted Diseases like ringworm and weird rashes) that seem to make their way through the gym on occasion.
    Last edited by JodyH; 01-11-2020 at 11:37 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Not sure if they ship to the North land but it’s worth signing up for the BJJHQ and MMAHQ emails. They do a daily email with one item on sale, you can usually grab good gear at a discounted price but you never know what is coming so you can’t be in a rush. I’m currently watching for a good pair of 16oz Thai gloves.

Started Muay Thai, Boxing, and BJJ almost two years ago. I really wish I started when I was younger and still in shape. Been doing BJJ on and off, only 2-stripe white belt so far. Definitely enjoy striking more. Always gotta watch out for the younger meatheads who have no control.

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    I just do a ½ tsp of table salt before class and before bed, gives me 1200 mg of sodium per 1/2 teaspoon. Put the salt in a juice cup and add about an ounce of water a couple times until it is down. I’m not a heavy sweater but am a heavy cramper, seems to be helping I can’t remember the last time I woke up with cramps in the middle of the night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    If you're a heavy sweater, you might want to consider taking some thermotabs before you start training. About 500mg of sodium (three tablets) can make a huge difference in endurance for heavy sweaters.

This stuff is awesome. Disclaimer: made in Spokane; the guy who bottles it is one of our oldest friends in the area, so we’ve watched the company build. Good dudes. Totally keeps me from cramping—no mean feat since I’m closer to 52 than 51 at this point, and I get all my hydration from coffee and manhattans.

https://www.amazon.com/Lyte-Balance-.../dp/B009I4H25U
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Well into my 40s, I still train and instruct Muay Thai a few times a week, to include sparring. I feel like I should be slowing down at this point but I really don't seem to be too badly. I have lost a bit of reaction speed so I go pretty playful with the really tough guys in gym. Really for the most part I keep the contact stuff light and technical.

With grappling I will roll pretty hard, but I've also hurt myself quite a bit too (like with a really nasty groin pull). I think you can do ok with high volume training if you maintain the intensity down to simmer. Go easy, lose the ego, take hot baths, take rest days, accept the aches and stiffness, lol.

User Tag List