Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MMA at 45 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    BJJ sometime in the spring
    Very nice! There are some excellent training opps in mid-FL too... Craig, RedBeard, DB Boon, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Very nice! There are some excellent training opps in mid-FL too... Craig, RedBeard, DB Boon, etc...
    I will be there in the fall too
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    Reee heee heelllly.... </ace ventura> I'll check on that.

I'm of course interested in seminars and workshops, however a shift in work schedule would allow a BJJ class with more frequency. That seems like the real long term win for me.

I am late to the party too, started BJJ at 39. That plus mileage from the job and my body has been taking a beating. Plenty of minor injuries, nothing major yet. Big key is good training partners and tapping early. There are no medals in the gym. Good luck and enjoy the pain!

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    Reee heee heelllly.... </ace ventura> I'll check on that.

I'm of course interested in seminars and workshops, however a shift in work schedule would allow a BJJ class with more frequency. That seems like the real long term win for me.
    Beyond a shadow of a doubt. Grappling is so deep and broad a subject with so many variables that it just simple takes time to get decently proficient at it, so regular training is the key. I will indulge myself in a bit of ego stroking though to say that I can probably jump start someone and get them far more forward in their training than they will get in a weekly setting. I may be fooling myself, but I have had a pretty good amount of feedback the past 15 years to let me think that.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Day two in the books. Did a beginners kickboxing class. Super fun and quite a workout! I could really feel soreness in my glutes and hamstrings, doms was kicking in pretty good today. I’ve been doing lots of stretching and drinking a ton of water and the soreness is fine and manageable. The soreness went away during the workout but is back again pretty good now.

I bought a small canister of antibacterial wipes to wipe down my gear after the workouts and the mesh bag should allow the gear to dry much faster. Will take the rest of the week to heal up and hit it hard again next week.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 276
Size:  74.2 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    Day two in the books. Did a beginners kickboxing class. Super fun and quite a workout! I could really feel soreness in my glutes and hamstrings, doms was kicking in pretty good today. I’ve been doing lots of stretching and drinking a ton of water and the soreness is fine and manageable. The soreness went away during the workout but is back again pretty good now.

I bought a small canister of antibacterial wipes to wipe down my gear after the workouts and the mesh bag should allow the gear to dry much faster. Will take the rest of the week to heal up and hit it hard again next week.
    The wildest thing is how the soreness falls away when you start moving around.

I could walk into the academy smoked from doing deadlifts in the morning but if I get a chance to shoot for a double leg you'd best believe I'm gonna go for it.

The stretching is good and the antibacterial wipes is an AWESOME idea.

If you don't wrap your hands while wearing the big 16oz gloves I recommend it as well. Not just for protecting your joints (although they do that too) but you can throw hand wraps in the wash and it means less sweat in your gloves so hopefully you don't need to throw them in the garbage or burn them two years down the road (ask me how I know lol)

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    I’ve been doing lots of stretching and drinking a ton of water and the soreness is fine and manageable.
    If you're a heavy sweater, you might want to consider taking some thermotabs before you start training. About 500mg of sodium (three tablets) can make a huge difference in endurance for heavy sweaters.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    The wildest thing is how the soreness falls away when you start moving around.

I could walk into the academy smoked from doing deadlifts in the morning but if I get a chance to shoot for a double leg you'd best believe I'm gonna go for it.

The stretching is good and the antibacterial wipes is an AWESOME idea.

If you don't wrap your hands while wearing the big 16oz gloves I recommend it as well. Not just for protecting your joints (although they do that too) but you can throw hand wraps in the wash and it means less sweat in your gloves so hopefully you don't need to throw them in the garbage or burn them two years down the road (ask me how I know lol)

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    That’s a good idea. I wrapped my hands as I’m very concerned about damaging my hands/wrists and negatively affecting my shooting. The wraps were very damp when I took them off. The Everlast gloves I bought have a mesh material over the palm of the glove which is supposed to help them dry faster. I’m also using a mesh bag to aid in drying. I don’t want to be the guy with the stinky gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    If you're a heavy sweater, you might want to consider taking some thermotabs before you start training. About 500mg of sodium (three tablets) can make a huge difference in endurance for heavy sweaters.
    I’ll watch for this, thanks.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

User Tag List