Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MMA at 45 years old.

MMA at 45 years old.

I’m sitting her staring at the gear below wondering what the heck I’ve gotten myself into!

My two boys have been doing MMA (Kickboxing, wrestling and Jiu Jitsu) for a few years now. It’s progressed, at their request, to 5 days a week. I’m very proud of both of them, they have done well in local tournaments and their dedication is so great to see. I absolutely love watching them train and compete.

So I’ve been taking them to classes almost daily, sitting there watching them progress, and thinking about joining the adult classes that are held during the same time in other parts of the gym. I finally decided to push away the self doubt I had about it and just do it.

I figure it will be great for overall fitness, help me lose weight (which I have been working on), and help with my movement for shooting competitions. I’m also excited to learn new skills, the practical nature of these disciplines not being lost on me.

I’m quite nervous of injuring myself and have already talked to the instructors about taking it easy and working my way up to a more comfortable level. The Gym is a great space, very family oriented, with great instructors. They keep the atmosphere respectful and have done a great job keeping the egomaniacs away from their gym.

I start next week! I’m excited and nervous, and committed to giving it a few months to see how it goes. I’m going to go in with the attitude that I know nothing and really try to soak up as much knowledge as I can.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

GOOD ON YOU!

Never stop developing the skill set.

Awesome!

I have no wisdom or advice to give. Only that I'm hoping my schedule allows BJJ sometime in the spring. However at 28, I'm sure my worries of injury are overblown in comparison.

Things we're proud of are usually hard things. I think this could be one. Im certain your kids will love your involvment.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 01-04-2020 at 01:31 PM.

Listen to your body, tap early, be aware of 20-something meatheads (who can be GREAT people, mind) with visions of being the next Connor McGregor, and you will be fine.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Thanks for the advice guys. I have not ego at all when it comes to fitness or MMA. I have a few weight goals to meet this year but with the MMA piece I just hope to not get injured, not injure anyone else and to be a good training partner.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Site Supporter
    Good on you man! I'm about 4 years into it and trust me...its a great tribe to be in.

As far as injuries, don't be afraid to turn down a sparring partner if he doesn't have a grasp of how to control himself. There are dudes at my gym that I won't spar. I'll still cheer them on at a tournament and shoot the shit with them after class, but I've got a solid grasp of who goes too hard for me or who will crank a submission too hard.

Keep loose and have fun. There are no wins in the gym. Ya still gotta go to work the next day.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Wear headgear every time you spar. I had 12 MMA fights during my career and never experienced a knockout, concussion, or broken nose.

Consistency is where you’ll notice progress. A few weeks in the movements, drills, and even sparring will get easier as your body acclimates to the stress.

There’s a difference between sore and injured. If you are injured, ice up and rest. If you are sore, bite harder on your mouthpiece.

Keep your hands high, check kicks, and use technique rather than weight/strength advantages when you grapple.

Don’t be the goofy guy that jokes and giggles while rolling. The guys there to learn find it annoying.

Leave the ego at the door and don’t be lazy with drills. Do them with purpose to build muscle memory, rather than just going through the motions.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice guys, all good points.
    --

Site Supporter
    The voice of experience....
    @JodyH.

pat

OP's SN checks out.

Best of luck, and keep us posted!

User Tag List