Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Vortex Razor Gen 3 1-10x

Received it about three weeks ago...Scalarworks Mount inbound. So far it shakes out favorably. Hopefully I can get it zeroed next week.

Scalarworks arrived...

If weather permits hopefully I’ll get it zero’d.

took it out and zeroed it today. In true horus-ish fashion, The optic was a breeze to zero. Placed one shot on the target, and then use the reticle to read the adjustments. My co-worker did the same with his GEN3 and Barret REC10. If done in this fashion, you can literally be zero’d in 2-3 shots. After that we placed one chip shot on steel at 465 yards, a mere 3 Mils, with 175 grain SMK GMM. Both center of chest hits, one and done. I’ll post further with further use. Thus far, we’ve both favorable views of the optic.

Site Supporter
    The guys from 9 Hole Reviews just posted up a review on this that might be worth watching for those interested in this optic.

Mine arrived yesterday. I went with the MRAD reticle. It’s my first Vortex and I have a 1-8 NF ATACR for direct comparison. First the good:

1) It is daylight bright and then some.
    2) The Christmas tree reticle is very usable and similar to the ATACRs.
    3) Eyebox on 1X is outstanding and acquisition of the illuminated dot is not hampered by variations in the dot illumination due to head position like it does with a Leupold Mk6.
    4) The magnification adjustment is smooth and not too tight (a complaint with the 1-6X G2 Razors).

Now for the trade offs:
    1) The glass is good but not on the same level as the ATACR. There is some obvious aberration at the edges at 1X that are noticeable when shouldering the gun. It is noticeably worse than the ATACR and my other 1-6X optics (VCOG and MK6). This is not a dealbreaker but more of a trade off for the extra magnification.
    2) At 10X the eyebox is tight, but no more so than most other 10X scopes.
    3) Last and least important - I wish it was black

If they were the same cost, I’d go with the ATACR. The extra 2X is not worth the aberrations at 1X. However, I got the Vortex for $800 less than the going rate for an ATACR which is certainly a factor.
    Last edited by Sensei; 05-08-2020 at 09:40 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Mine arrived yesterday. I went with the MRAD reticle. It’s my first Vortex and I have a 1-8 NF ATACR for direct comparison. First the good:

1) It is daylight bright and then some.
    2) The Christmas tree reticle is very usable and similar to the ATACRs.
    3) Eyebox on 1X is outstanding and acquisition of the illuminated dot is not hampered by variations in the dot illumination due to head position like it does with a Leupold Mk6.
    4) The magnification adjustment is smooth and not too tight (a complaint with the 1-6X G2 Razors).

Now for the trade offs:
    1) The glass is good but not on the same level as the ATACR. There is some obvious aberration at the edges at 1X that are noticeable when shouldering the gun. It is noticeably worse than the ATACR and my other 1-6X optics (VCOG and MK6). This is not a dealbreaker but more of a trade off for the extra magnification.
    2) At 10X the eyebox is tight, but no more so than most other 10X scopes.
    3) Last and least important - I wish it was black

If they were the same cost, I’d go with the ATACR. The extra 2X is not worth the aberrations at 1X. However, I got the Vortex for $800 less than the going rate for an ATACR which is certainly a factor.
    Thanks for the comparison! Would you say the eyebox on the vortex is similar to/better than/worse than the eyebox on the ATACR?

Quote Originally Posted by sabre675 View Post
    took it out and zeroed it today. In true horus-ish fashion, The optic was a breeze to zero. Placed one shot on the target, and then use the reticle to read the adjustments. My co-worker did the same with his GEN3 and Barret REC10. If done in this fashion, you can literally be zero’d in 2-3 shots. After that we placed one chip shot on steel at 465 yards, a mere 3 Mils, with 175 grain SMK GMM. Both center of chest hits, one and done. I’ll post further with further use. Thus far, we’ve both favorable views of the optic.
    Curious how you like the Scalarworks mount. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

-Rainman

[emoji115]
    Or better how do the eye boxes compare when both are on 8x?

And in your opinion, when does Xmas tree portion of the reticle become useable? Pics I have seen it appears hard to see in the 4x-6x range and comes into its own at 8x-10x.

I qualify for the Vortex Healthcare discount, about to drop an order for the 1-10 MRAD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    Curious how you like the Scalarworks mount. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

-Rainman
    Love it compared to all mounts I’ve owned thus far. I’ve purchased two Scalarworks mounts in 3 months now. I am a little leery, of the twist knob, thumb quick detach. The mechanism itself doesn’t feel cheap and The mount does feel extremely secure, but I am used to torquing mounts down.

Transfered it from my 7.62 to a 13.8” 5.56 build last week to test it out. The .2 mil center reticle was useable at 790-ish on the 7.62 gun, but a bit bigger than I’d like. On the 5.56 gun, using shit 62 grain ultramax ammunition, I was able to shoot .8 moa on a grid target. Again the center dot was a bit large, but usable. I dialed down to 1x at 100 and shot head size steel, offhand with ease. I may keep on the 5.56. Haven’t decided yet.

Last edited by sabre675; 05-10-2020 at 10:08 PM.

User Tag List