Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying with a toddler

Carrying with a toddler

After never planning to have kids (and waiting way too long), I was blessed to become a father almost 19 months ago. Lots of things have changed in my life, but one that hasn't is the need to carry a gun 24/7.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so the very epitome of a non-permissive environment.

With a little one who climbs all over me and seemingly gets into everything, I'm really having to rethink what and how I carry off-duty.

From about March to October I wear a t-shirt and jeans with a pull over or zip-up hoody if needed and occasionally shorts if it's really hot. Wintertime it's jeans and a flannel with a jacket.

I kind of want a manual safety and am thinking of getting a Shield 2.0 in 9mm and carrying AIWB, something I've never spent much time doing. The other side of me says to go with an even smaller gun in my pocket. I'm not really interested in a P365 (I don't trust them).

For those of you that are or have been in a similar situation, what do you carry and how?
    Last edited by KevH; 01-03-2020 at 10:18 PM.

I am in similar circumstances with toddlers. Having carried a Glock 19 appendix for several years, I realized (for me) that with the incessant bending over and squatting one does with small kids, appendix carry was no longer a good option. Pre kids, a few torso bends etc. were more than manageable, but with kids those actions became more uncomfortable. That said, given the reduced profile of the sub-compact, maybe that (appendix carry) could be a good solution for you.

I have gone to 100% pocket carry of the P365. Comfort problem solved, no issues carrying kids and having printing issues with AIWB or IWB. While the P365 may not be your go to, I bet pocket carry could be a good option for you as well. The big downside for me is that my draw time (hand not on grip in pocket) has reduced significantly, but when the hand is in the pocket on the grip, it’s acceptable. Good luck!
    Last edited by Hieronymous; 01-03-2020 at 10:59 PM.

Site Supporter
    I went to Smartcarry and pocket carry of a very small gun. Draw speed sucks, but the toddler won’t get a hand on it and shoot themselves, either.

i appendix a p365xl with manual safety (grey guns) or wilson 9mm 1911. I have a 3 year old and a almost one year old. Being a single dad isnt for the weak and they test me, but appendix and a manual safety seems to be the way to go.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 01-03-2020 at 11:22 PM.

Site Supporter
    Have you thought about one the new S&W 9mm EZ Shields? With your 1911 experience, seems like a great fit for manual of arms and AIWB.

Plus it has a usable thumb safety vs normal Shields safety.

Site Supporter
    My kids are 12 and 9, and I started carrying daily long before they were born.

I changed very little.

My primary gun is carried either IWB at 3:30 or in my strong side front pocket. If I am carrying a BUG, it is either in a weak side front pocket or ankle holster. I use a fanny pack when exercising or doing work around the house likely to result in sweating.

My biggest concern has always been ensuring that any gun(s) I am carrying are on my person and under my immediate control, or locked up. When I get dressed, the gun goes from the locked enclosure to my person. When I get undressed, the gun goes directly from my person to the locked enclosure.

Maintaining awareness of the location of the kids relative to the gun can be important at times, but has never been a real problem.

I have never hidden anything from the kids, nor made a big deal about the gun. To them, it is just another part of what I wear every day. I have tried to teach them that we do not discuss the gun in public, since not everyone likes guns. I also tried to teach them that if they see a gun at a friend's house, they are to leave and get an adult.

My daughter now accompanies me for most of my range visits. I started taking her when she was 10. At that time, I hovered over her as she shot. Now, I can let her do her own thing next to me, and just keep an eye on her, knowing she will act safely.

My son is begging me to take him shooting. At some point I will, but when has not yet been decided.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Have you thought about one the new S&W 9mm EZ Shields? With your 1911 experience, seems like a great fit for manual of arms and AIWB.

Plus it has a usable thumb safety vs normal Shields safety.
    Honestly, I've been thinking really hard on it. It's so new though and I don't generally like to being an early adopter. I'd rather let someone else suffer working the kinks out.

I have an old Colt Defender that's basically NIB sitting in the back of the safe I was considering. It came from the factory with edges you could shave with and would need quite a bit of work (time + $) to get to where I would be comfortable carrying it.

I've never really liked AIWB when I've tried it in the past. I think the gun and holster would need to be as thin as possible (Shield) for it to work for me.

For the past four months (since walking began) I've been carrying either a J-frame on my ankle in a Renegade holster or a Kahr P380 (mine works...so far) in my pocket. We were standing around when Christmas shopping a couple weeks ago (I was holding her hand) and she pulled up my pant leg in a very public place trying to inspect the 442 on my ankle. One of the reasons I'm rethinking what I'm doing.

Hell, I've even started thinking about carrying a fanny pack which is something I never thought I would consider. I figure with a little one in tow I might be able to pull it off. The only guys I ever saw carry those were at the beginning of my career and they usually had matching M-frames, a mustache, and a bad haircut to go with it.
    Last edited by KevH; 01-04-2020 at 12:03 AM.

Site Supporter
    Ankle holsters can present some unique challenges around kids. My son once found one to be a nice foothold when trying to climb up on me - when definitely put the quality of that holster to the test (it was made by C. Rusty Sherrick and it passed). Kids also like playing with shoelaces, which are of course in close proximity to the ankle holster.

3:30 IWB and front pocket make protecting the gun relatively easy.

Glock 48 AIWB and/or j frame in the front right pocket.

Had similar issues with ankle carry that you mentioned. Carried strong side for a little bit because with an open front cover shirt the one handed draw was easier. Found myself bending over so often with the kid that strong side wasn’t working. It was more of a pain to dress around anyway for me.

Everything is a compromise but I think aiwb really is the way to go when you have young kids. If for no other reason than the amount of time I spend bending or kneeling down with my son. It’s easier to keep an eye on the gun and make sure it’s still concealed when they’re climbing on you, too.

I don’t get hung up on a manual safety, but my gun is either in a holster on me, or locked up in the safe. I’m religious about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son is a year and a half. I still carry a full sized gun aiwb.

Im constantly on the floor rolling around, etc. I do find a 3" k frame a much more comfortable compromise over a 5" 1911 but still carry them often.

I dont see a need to go to a pocket gun or even to a subcompact. I recently thought about switching to a double stack 9mm because of the thought of reloading with him in my left arm kinda got me thinking.

When in public with my wife and son she manages him and i manage society. Alone I have to split my attention but am blessed with a really well behaved boy.

Ever since San Bernardino ive dedicated myself to constant carry of a full sized gun and i see no reason to slack. Events like that or Nicé only confirm that i really dont want a pocket gun to defend my family.

User Tag List