Thread: UM combat grips chopped to boot style

UM combat grips chopped to boot style

Covered back strap, boot length. No beauty contests but they work.

Name:  P1000663.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  48.8 KB

Better pic

Name:  P1000670.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  68.1 KB

Is that the Performance Center 442? How do you like it? That’s the J Frame I’m looking at if I decide to buy one.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

That looks great. I was wondering why you would cut these rather than buy the boots. I then realized these have the covered blackstrap and it all makes sense. These would be great on an air weight.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Is that the Performance Center 442? How do you like it? That’s the J Frame I’m looking at if I decide to buy one.
    It is a PC model. This one from CDNN: https://www.cdnnsports.com/smith-wes...F0AL3U6MA8S7VM

I just got it, haven't shot it yet. An evening of dry fire to work it in a bit. It came with that clip-grip which I've no need of thus the swap. The chopped UM combats are good range shooters. I have a set of VZs ordered which is what I'll probably carry it with though.

After some dry fire I measured the pull at an average of about 9lbs/13oz. Noticeably better than the non-PC Js I've purchased in the past. And... amazingly enough... they got the barrel on straight!

Quite happy with it so far. I've an XS front sight coming in for it and I'll be trying my hand at filing that mod into reality.

That 442 tickles my Electraglide in Blue button. Verrry purty!
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 01-05-2020 at 09:27 AM.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Can we get a picture of the bottom of the grips? I have two sets that I need to cut for my j frames.

Name:  P1000676.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  27.1 KB

Name:  P1000678.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  52.3 KB

Note the steel plates in the grip panels. You'll need to cut through these. I opted for a full grip frame surround. One could shorten it further for a true boot grip cut by taking the butt flush to the grip frame.

Great modification! The Pachmary compacs were always my favorite j frame grips. These chopped ones might be a great alternative

User Tag List