Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Why handguns have 3 dot sights? Isn't it easier to line up one dot rear with front?

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I did a low-light class a couple of months ago and found that, in light where I was barely able to discern the target, I had no problem keeping my shots in the -0 of an IDPA target at five yards on index alone, with verification from the tritium dot. Of course, that was on a square range where I pretty much knew where the target was.
    And of course, shooting a full size target with large scoring zones at such a short range, there isn't a need to do all that much aiming in the first place. Try headshots at 10 yards and see if you still feel the plain black rear works for you?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    And of course, shooting a full size target with large scoring zones at such a short range, there isn't a need to do all that much aiming in the first place. Try headshots at 10 yards and see if you still feel the plain black rear works for you?
    I'd be using a flashlight at that distance so I'd be shooting one-handed. That'd be a challenging shot in daylight!

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I spent a lot of the last three or four years getting handed all kinds of different random pistols to shoot and evaluate and they all came with different random sights so I feel like I've got five hundred rounds on every sight combination known to man.

I have been using sharpie'd rear three dots on most of my personal guns for as long as I can remember. Maybe fifteen years? So part of my bias towards that arrangement is just familiarity. But I think traditional 3-dots with dimmed rears are awesome. I do also like some of the bar-dot sights and other oddball combos but for me the 3-dots work really well.

I have never once been confused about which was the front. That's down to body index. I have done plenty of low-light stuff, including a LL module with Ken Hackathorn and several low-light specific, multi-day classes. I know other people have done more, I'm not trying to make a claim that I'm a particular expert in the area, I'm just saying that I think if there was a situation where my gear would surprise me, I'd have stumbled across it by now. 3 dots work well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    When I started with PX4s and their three-dot sights, I found I was hitting low. I started shooting before three-dot sights were a thing; I learned to align the tops of the front and rear sights.
    I had the same problem when I purchased my 3913 TSW. I was shooting low. I called Smith and the rep sent me another Novak sight. When I called them back the lady I spoke with immediately asked about my sight picture. Between flinch and sight picture over the years I've been able to correct the issue.

User Tag List