Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why handguns have 3 dot sights? Isn't it easier to line up one dot rear with front?

I have used three dot sights for as long as I can remember. When picked up my MR918, I had every intention of swapping the plain rear for a two dot tritium one. Spent a day at the range, and to my surprise, I was faster and just as accurate with a plain black rear and hi vis front.

When I got home, I took a sharpie and blacked out every other two dot tritium rear I had. Without question, even with my aging eye sight, a single hi vis front sight and black rear works better for me.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 01-03-2020 at 02:45 PM.
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

In good lighting conditions, a high visibility front and an all black rear is great.

However, once lighting levels are reduced enough, at least with my eyes plain black has the tendency to just disappear. It's not fun to be left with only the front sight as an aiming reference, with no clue where the rear sight is in relation to the front. In these conditions, three dot sights or any other sort of a higher visibility element in the rear sight starts to seem like a pretty nice compromise, at least to me and my eyes.

^ I agree. To me, if tritium is to be of any utility it has to be present in both the front and rear sights.

The orange HD front and a rear U notch with white outline such as on the SA Hellcat is the fastest and most accurate sighting for me.

Will not use red dots due to astigmatism and the chance of "hunting" for the dot.

Green laser helps but not wild about them. Too many years of high intensity training behind me on irons than I have got left to relearn to same proficiency.

Hilton Yam used this photo on his Modern Service Weapons blog to illustrate an issue with 3 dot sights. Name:  12985537515_409b688347_o.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  44.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post
    This picture illustrates perfectly one of my main issues with 3 dots, and how people interpret information. This sight picture is aligned several different ways, equal height along the top edge of the dots, equal light between the front and rear, and equal height along the top edge of the front and rear sights. At distance, the top edge dot alignment will impact differently than top edge of front and rear, as they sit at different elevations. This can certainly lead to confusion as to what is aligned. With my 3 dot sights, which are Trijicon Bright and Tough, I align the center of the dots. I am visually aware of the all the dots aligned, and use the crisp top edge. Using this method of aiming, with this displayed image, the front sight edge would drop in relation to the rear edge.

With suppressor use, I am placing the center dot over the intended target, as the top edges are obscured by the rear of the can. I may align the top edges of the Tritium for extended ranges, as it elevates the front.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    Three dots provide fast, accurate feedback for both windage and elevation. With two dots, elevation is a guess. With a blacked out rear, you may or may not have a reference for the front sight in low light.

Since the vast majority of the bad situations I have seen occurred in low light, I strongly prefer that those 3 dots be tritium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Question

So are we supposed to align the dots or top of sights?
    I try to align the top as that's what the "internet" said.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Different schools of thought. I tend to push the dot.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Well, it depends. If you align the dots, where do you place them to impact correctly? My default is alignment of the front and rear top edge, cutting the desired point of impact. Different guns and different visual perceptions may necessitate a different alignment. The key is be consistent and go from there.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List