Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Still pulling the handle?

I reread the OP, and reconsidered the question, how many CAN I do before it hurts, and I am not sure I ever found out. Might be because of time and how I do it. In the past I would gear up and load a bunch so the machine would be available for other tasks. Now that I have two 650s that might change, but in the past I might just do a few hundred every time I had the time until whatever quantity was loaded. Now I will probably do 1k at a time for 9mm, so it is more likely that I will just kick that out in one session or two max.
    Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    How many rounds at a time, per day, per week, etc. can you load without hurting yourself.
    On a day off I'll do 300 in the morning and 300 in the evening. Anymore and my elbow and shoulder is toast.
    If we are talking 9mm I would say that if you are not standing you should try standing.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 01-04-2020 at 08:16 AM.

Site Supporter
    For me it's that I get bored. I don't have a helper, so I know from the past when I used to do bulk loading sessions that 400 an hour of 9mm on a 650 is about my average speed, and I can do a couple thousand at a sitting before I'm mentally done. That includes filling primer tubes and every couple hundred rounds, loading the bulk ammo into 100 round boxes. I have the casefeeder.

Now I'm totally lazy with it. I'll load what I want the night before a match or immediately before going to practice. I think right now I probably have around 60 rounds of assembled 9mm in my ownership.

I like reloading enough that I do it in my garage, which is like a huge walk in fridge in the winter.

A couple weekends ago I did 200 rds. Of 230 gr. XTP handloads on the single stage Lyman.

If I need to crank out 2000 rds on the 650 I stick to about 500-600 a day. I visually inspect each case for powder before placing the bullet.

I don’t need to have my little monkey brain start wandering off, so 500-600 is good enough. Never feel any soreness from reloading.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Still pulling the handle?

Do you feel it the next day? I did that once...and was out of action for a week. And you are much, much older than me

But I'm pretty sure you have to work a 650 a lot harder than 1050 even when pulling and pushing?
    It doesn’t bother me at all. Kind of zenlike, and it’s got to be done if I’m gonna have fuel for practice.

The primer stroke on the 650 is annoying. The 1050 is smooth, and with lubed brass it’s fairly effortless.

I definitely stand. I can’t imagine loading high volume sitting down.

Hope to see you on the range sometime soon.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 01-04-2020 at 11:21 AM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    The limit was always time and never fatigue tho.
    Time and patience. I don't mind spending an hour forming and loading 20-40 wildcat rounds, but the progressive gets tedious at about one hour.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

The most I've ever done in one session was somewhere over 1000 rounds of 9mm when I had a moment of "screw it, I'm loading until I run out of clean brass," which took several hours, because I case gauge every round, so every time my output bin gets full (it holds 250-300 rounds of 9mm), I have a significant pause to gauge the ammo and put it in 100-round boxes. I was definitely tired and sweaty afterward, but after taking a shower, I felt fine, and it was nice to know that I was "done" loading for significantly longer than usual at that point.

It's much more normal for me to load 5-600 rounds at a session, because I have 6 of the 100-round boxes. Usually I shoot til they're empty and then load til they're full and stop - the 1000+ round session led to the overflow going into ziploc bags, to be transferred into the boxes after shooting through the boxes.

Site Supporter
    How many rounds at a time, per day, per week, etc. can you load without hurting yourself. Yeah, I *can load 100 rounds in less than 5 minutes, but I can't sustain that.

I'll do no more than 400 rounds a day after work on my Dillon 650 with bullet feeder and case feeder. On a day off I'll do 300 in the morning and 300 in the evening. Anymore and my elbow and shoulder is toast.
    Depends on the press. My Lee Turret press, I need to take a break after 100-200 rounds, no idea how long that takes. On the Lee Breech Lock Auto thing, I can do 500 or so no problem, again never timed it.

When I had a 1050 with a bullet feeder and case feeder, I could knock out 100 in 5 minutes without sweating and maintain that until my 6 primer tubes were empty. I'd then use the Caldwell primer tube filler (figure about 30-40 seconds per tube total), and be back at it.

I can go as long as I have free time. I know I’m supposed to be complaining about the agonizing pain from my gunshot and rebuilt strong side elbow, but I never notice it while reloading or shooting. #TardStrength #NoBrainNoPain

Name:  gunshot1.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  41.8 KB
    #RESIST

!! Ok, for those of us who don’t know the story behind that...?
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    !! Ok, for those of us who don’t know the story behind that...?
    Best I can recall, the story was told either here or on pistol-training.com at some point, and it went something like LL in vehicle front seat, someone in the rear seat inappropriately handling a 1911, which unfortunately was loaded, with the end result being a .45 entering LL's elbow. Sobering example of why the 4 rules exist.

User Tag List