Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Still pulling the handle?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    The P-W in 12g is more of a problem, it has a turret full of dies and on each downstroke you are pushing a loaded round out of a die, and on each upstroke you are shoving an unsized hull into another one. I do probably 300 before I have another reason to stop.

I might do 500 9mm on the 650 without stopping, but that is about what I get done before my wife wakes up on a weekend, not because I am tuckered (will be 61 soon).

I always used my presses sitting down and then I got one of the SL900s and it came with the stand, and it made me realize standing might be LESS stressful than sitting. Then one day I noticed and obscure mention (it was probably in the manual I never read...) that Dillon actually recommends standing. Since then I have changed all of the presses to be on a bench at the same level, optimized for my height and arm length.
    I stand with my Dillon 550s plus I think the Strong Mounts help with the "right" height. I have a roller handle on my high volume 9mm 550. I also make sure the press main ram and other points are lubricated. Finally, I think that tumbling brass with some car wax in the media reduces dust but also aids (just a little) with reloading.

Site Supporter
    If I get a progressive, I’ll probably go back to loading 9mm. At this point, I can’t see spending the time on my turret vs. just buying a case and shooting. I’ll still load most of my .38 & .357 (a few hundred per year), and all of my .243 (100 or so per year) and .270 (just got it, don’t have a use pattern yet). I’m not shooting enough 5.56 to know whether it would be worth the loading time. Probably not, as cheap as 5.56 is right now, and as little as I’m shooting them.

If 9mm and 5.56 get significantly more expensive, I’ll probably go back to loading them even without getting a progressive.

I have my gear set up to use while sitting.
    Last edited by Duelist; 01-03-2020 at 08:56 PM.

I can load about 1000 an hour on my modded 1050 with a bullet feeder, including case prep and primer tube loading.

My buddy just bought a Mark 7 auto press, but it’s not for anyone who isn’t an engineer or equivalent.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    My max is about 300-350 rounds an hour. That's with me checking powder throws every 60 rounds or so. I have had some squibs here and there so I'm kind of OCD about powder weights.

I have always stood while running my press. I converted a broken treadmill frame as my bench and seems to be a good fit hight wise for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I wonder about press height. How high should a press be when standing?
    I set mine so I would get to the bottom of the stroke with only drooping my shoulder a little. This put my head in pretty good position to peek at the charges.

I have an RL1050 with case feeder and bullet feeder that I load 9mm on. I leave it set up with the primer tube full. I load a hundred and see if I want to continue. I load anywhere from 100 to 600 at a time. I also have a 550 for all other calibers. I load 100 or 200 at a time on it. I stand for everything.

Short sessions, currently load 150, gauge. Repeat later in the day.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I can load up 1k in a day if I do it over several sessions. This is using a 1050 with a bullet feeder. But I'm getting to the point with me shooting USPSA and 3-gun that an Ammobot might be a useful addition to the reloading room.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I can load about 1000 an hour on my modded 1050 with a bullet feeder, including case prep and primer tube loading.
    Do you feel it the next day? I did that once...and was out of action for a week. And you are much, much older than me

But I'm pretty sure you have to work a 650 a lot harder than 1050 even when pulling and pushing?
    A71593

I like to reload, so I take my time doing it. I look inside each case before putting the bullet head on. I maybe average 400-500 an hour if you account for primer pickup.

Picked up a 1050 three years back, and it is a bit easier on the body than my 650. The 1050 is for 9mm, the 650 everything else (but mostly .40).

User Tag List