Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Still pulling the handle?

My MIL is in town end of this week. Probably spend some time cleaning 9mm brass and discovering boxes of bullets I bought before ammo prices fell. I do need to pick up a new dehydrator, unless temps rise and they can sun dry.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    My MIL is in town end of this week. Probably spend some time cleaning 9mm brass and discovering boxes of bullets I bought before ammo prices fell. I do need to pick up a new dehydrator, unless temps rise and they can sun dry.
    I put around 2000 cases in the oven to speed up the drying process.
    Worked pretty good, except a loaded round made it into the oven.
    It cooked off but did no damage, scared the hell out all of us though.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    I do need to pick up a new dehydrator, unless temps rise and they can sun dry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    Another thing I have done is put a decap die in the 650 and just pump them though, 9mm with no primers should dry out overnight if they are laying on their sides.

Worked pretty good, except a loaded round made it into the oven.
    It cooked off but did no damage, scared the hell out all of us though.
    Maybe no physical damage, but unless you're using lead-free primers, your oven is now contaminated.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Maybe no physical damage, but unless you're using lead-free primers, your oven is now contaminated.
    Took it apart vacuumed it a washed the entire inside

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Took it apart vacuumed it a washed the entire inside
    I still wouldn't be keen on using an oven to dry brass in the first place, but good on you for being thorough about taking care of the resulting problem.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I still wouldn't be keen on using an oven to dry brass in the first place, but good on you for being thorough about taking care of the resulting problem.
    Yeah I doubt I'll do it a again!

Spent some time on the D650 today. Machine maintenance, followed by verifying everything was in order. Had a hodge podge of various weights and profiles I wanted to load. Misplaced some data, so I had to work up a proper load and verify function. Seemed silly for only 500 rounds of a type and profile I will never purchase again. Loaded some Berry's 147 FP, BBI 147 FP, BBI 115 conical. Next up is some Dardas 122, Phoenix 125, and perhaps some old cast bullets by yours truly. Trying to use up what stock I have, instead of just letting it sit and gather dust. Found another 5k SPP and had about 4 pounds more powder than I recall in the keg, so life is good. Need to decide what manufacturer to place a large order with, right now I'm leaning towards Rim Rock. Ideally I would like to get a sample and see how they work first, but may just have to jump in.
    Taking a break from social media.

Still pulling the handle?

Does swinging the mallet count?Name:  IMG_1488.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  40.7 KB

I’ve been doing about 100 rounds per day, 9mm or 300 blk, depending on my office mates’ conference call schedule

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richiecotite; 03-26-2020 at 07:52 PM.
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Site Supporter
    I scored an estate sale buy of about a motorcycle trailer full of gun accessories and reloading gear and components.
    Loaded some .40 from the primed cases, Hornady HAP bullets, and WW WSF powder that was in the stash.
    Have hauled about $300 scrap value worth of unprimed brass to the recyclers that I will not use.
    Have hundreds of rounds of primed brass that will either get used or sold not to mention hundreds of rounds of loaded ammo packed in MTM boxes with loading data enclosed in each box.
    This man was definitely a serious reloader. I have primed brass and loaded rounds for .303, 6.5 Swede, 300SAUM, 375 H&H, 45-70, 22-250, and many more that I will never use.
    Bullets...I have probably 10K of rifle and pistol projectiles from .20 to heavy .45-70/458 projectiles. A bunch of this needs to go.
    I think the man bought out a LGS about ten miles from me when the owner retired.
    After I get a strong mount from Dillon, I will set up and learn the 550 press that was in the buy and the nearly dozen sets of dies mounted in the Dillon fixtures.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 03-27-2020 at 12:42 PM.

User Tag List