Thread: Info on older wadcutters

Info on older wadcutters

Friend gave me a couple boxes of these Federal wadcutters.
    Backstory is he picked them up from a NJ police department bullseye team ammo stash while he worked for the state some years ago. Are these the predecessor to the Federal Gold Metal Match, or something else?Name:  0376F481-87CF-4895-BF1E-47E7F6491462.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  43.3 KB I have shot some out of my 642 and like them, but was wondering about the hardness compared to more modern loads. Maybe I’ll just shoot them up for practice and move on.
    Any more info on these would be appreciated.
    It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun ― Mark Twight

Too bad they aren't 125 grain JHP Nyclad's. I had no idea Federal made Nyclad wadcutters. I think they stopped making the JHP's Nyclad's around 2000 so they are probably at least that old.

The Nyclad 158 HPs were dead soft and showed no leading.
    I wish they still made them.
    Shumba

I always suspected the purpose of the Nyclad wadcutter load was to help keep the air cleaner in indoor ranges. Some of the old waxed wadcutter loads were pretty smoky.

I went through a lot of Nyclads in the old days, and they were really, really cool stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    I always suspected the purpose of the Nyclad wadcutter load was to help keep the air cleaner in indoor ranges. Some of the old waxed wadcutter loads were pretty smoky.

I went through a lot of Nyclads in the old days, and they were really, really cool stuff.

You are correct. The original idea behind the Nyclad coating (late 70’s) was to reduce air borne lead in the in-door police department ranges. It was a bonus later when it was discovered that applying the Nyclad process to a soft lead hollow point at standard pressure turned out to be a good idea also (enter the Chiefs Special load circa 1981 by S&W).

User Tag List