Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Going all in - on Glocks

Banned
    I did this four years ago. I posted about it here and I was very surprised at the number of people who were in agreement with me that it was a good idea.

What I find interesting is that as time has gone on several of those same people had suggested to me that instead of limiting myself to one platform I limit myself to one gun.

I do find that when I go to the range and I shoot the one gun, my Glock 19 I get more out of the session. I don't think I've shot anything but my Glock 19 or my glock 26 in probably three years.

I have considered this approach. I am pretty much narrowed down to J frames and 9mm Glocks. If I were to narrow down to one it would probably be the J frame. I pocket carry 5 days a week at work. On the weekends and evenings I normally have my Glock 26. I guess I could narrow it to 60/642 and 45 or 19/26 this would be 4 guns for a year. I have considered going strictly J frame and on the nights and weekends adding a Model 60 to my 642 in my pocket.

I have also truncated on the variety, though not as much as you have. A while back I realized I had Glocks and M&Ps and XDs and 9mm and 40 and 45 and decided that was striker fired insanity. But when I sold off all the other stuff I bought more (M&P, in my case) stuff, it is still MUCH simpler. Like most of the time I use the JMCK IWB-3 with the PTD loops, but from time to time I want the one with the clip on it, it is easy to have a variety of gear when you do not have a variety of guns.

But I have not gone totally Amish:
    I have a handful of J-Frames for when I want that simplicity and portability, and I have plans for a couple more.
    I have a handful of 1911s, and have plans for several more, because 1911.
    I have a few nice revolvers and want moar.
    I do NOT have a pistol with a MRD, so...

Part of this simplification makes money for other stuff. For example I recently sold off a couple of Remingtons to get money to buy another Beretta. And I recently gave away a couple of muzzleloaders to reduce the crowding in the overcrowded safe, making room for a couple more rifles that interest me.

But I am all in for this simplification thing, am I doing it wrong?!?!?!?
    Last edited by mmc45414; 01-03-2020 at 08:03 AM.

I was fortunate enough to figure this out in my late 20s.

Saved a whole lot of money over the years... well maybe not, it went to ammo. I sure improved as a shooter though.

I’ll upgrade when plasma blasters are available.

Did the same thing in 2019. Got rid of every pistol I had and got a pair of G17s (a G4 and a G5). I really wanted to plunge deep into DA/SA but the reality was I could only shoot twice a week and I didn’t want to queue at a smith if anything went wrong with the guns. The Glock is pretty much plug and play as far as parts replacements go, and the parts are inexpensive and almost always available. (Am also lucky in that my G4 has behaved well and hasn’t given me any grief yet.)

I also appreciated not needing a box full of holsters. Between a Tenicor Velo, Tenicor ARX, and a Comp Tac International, I’m set for anything club matches to CCW.

I will say this: I’ve found the Glock unforgiving of lapses in fundamentals. I can get away with less than perfect technique with a 1911, 2011, or CZ, but i’d get careless with a Glock, it’ll let me know right away. I’ve come to like that. The good news is that I now have enough savings to spend on ammo and range time. What’s not to like?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I've shot Glock pistols more or less exclusively since I bought my first Glock 19 back in 2010. No regrets.

For the most part I’ve shifted to this mindset and setup. I do however have a few other guns because part of me is an enthusiast and I appreciate other things than Glocks. I carry a J-frame more often than not, just got a 1911 because I’ve always wanted one, have a couple SIGs because a P229 was my first love, and a Beretta 92 because it was so prevalent in movies when I was a kid and they’re just damn nice to shoot.

But for serious reasons and competition I’m back to Glocks and most likely will be for the foreseeable future. There’s a certain beauty in their simplicity and they just plain work. I just with they were a tad more ergonomic and had good 10-round magazines.

CWM11B
    I cannot disagree with this in the slightest, and have vacillated on the subject myself. I've got a ridiculous number of pistols I have not shot in years just sitting there. Every time I think about it however, I end up going through them and having a "not yet" moment. In about ten years, I believe I'll be ready. Then, or if we have another panic and I can get savage scalper prices for my stuff. If I ever do it, I'll settle on three samples of either a Glock or M&P, and a couple of J frames. And probably two ARs and a shotgun or two.

Although I like the M&P much better, I'd probably settle on Glock. It is slightly easier to work on and parts are more readily available. I can also see a day where it's just J frames. There is even a scenario where they ALL go for me: moving to the Caribbean or some other places I'm intrigued by which do not allow for gun ownership.

Site Supporter
    I think most everyone who is a member here understands the value in training/practicing with a primary handgun type to get the most out of that practice. This isn't really a "carry rotation" type of forum. Beyond that, there's nothing wrong with having other types of guns for various reasons -- enjoyment, nostalgia, cool factor, whatever.

I also see no reason not to experiment with other guns from time to time, because it's valuable to understand the various action types. That kind of experimentation can sometimes lead to a revelation and possibly even to switching to that gun. How else can you determine what works best for you? The problem comes with switching back and forth constantly, though some people might be able to do that and be okay.

I shoot and carry 1911s, but each time I bring my Glock 34 out and shoot it I appreciate it for what it is. And the developments in the Beretta 92 world in the last couple years have me tempted to give a 92 variant another try, because I understand the advantages a DA/SA gun can bring. This stuff can drive you nuts if you let it, but it's all good as long as you don't allow experimentation to become more prevalent than actual relevant practice.

It is a good move and is something I've considered myself. Time investment to pull it off, near certain financial losses, and finding other guns unexpectedly useful again after years of owning them has stayed in the way.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List