Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Going all in - on Glocks

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    There is even a scenario where they ALL go for me: moving to the Caribbean or some other places I'm intrigued by which do not allow for gun ownership.
    Puerto Rico has passed legislation to incorporate the protections of the Second Amendment.

An airweight J-frame seems fit for the island life.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    I cannot disagree with this in the slightest, and have vacillated on the subject myself. I've got a ridiculous number of pistols I have not shot in years just sitting there. Every time I think about it however, I end up going through them and having a "not yet" moment. In about ten years, I believe I'll be ready. Then, or if we have another panic and I can get savage scalper prices for my stuff. If I ever do it, I'll settle on three samples of either a Glock or M&P, and a couple of J frames. And probably two ARs and a shotgun or two.

Although I like the M&P much better, I'd probably settle on Glock. It is slightly easier to work on and parts are more readily available. I can also see a day where it's just J frames. There is even a scenario where they ALL go for me: moving to the Caribbean or some other places I'm intrigued by which do not allow for gun ownership.
    I'm pretty much there now. 3 Glocks. 1 J frame. 1 AR. 1 Shotgun. (Or, what Tony at JMCK refers to as "nearly a Democrat" )

(We won't discuss things with sharp edges. That's gonna take a few years.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I switched from all 1911 to all Glock. Never would’ve predicted that 7-8 years ago. I still have one Dan Wesson, and a Smith 19-3 just because it seems like a damn shame to sell it.

Doesn’t have to be Glock but consolidating down to one platform, at least for training, definitely streamlines your ability to track progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dusted off a safe queen about a month ago. I then purchased a Glock 17 Gen 5 with Glock night sights. On my first outing I put 308 rounds through it ( do you think the spirit world is telling me I need a .308? ). Anyhow, the pistol worked 100% and was a joy to shoot! Yeah, the Glock is the way to go for simplicity of gunsmithing and parts availability.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    I was fortunate enough to figure this out in my late 20s. .
    I wish I had been so prescient. It took me until my 40's to just downsize to fewer chamberings... that alone saved some money and headaches over the years.

Glocks in 9mm would be the LOGICAL way for me to go, but I really prefer the Beretta PX4 now that I am getting along in years. I think I could narrow things down that far and not feel too constrained.

g n

CWM11B
    Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    Puerto Rico has passed legislation to incorporate the protections of the Second Amendment.

An airweight J-frame seems fit for the island life.
    So I've heard. I didnt leave anything there when I left, and all of my areas of interest are below the hurricane strike zone
    @blues: Yeah, dont get me started on all of my Mcstabby stuff...
    Last edited by CWM11B; 01-03-2020 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    It is a good move and is something I've considered myself. Time investment to pull it off, near certain financial losses, and finding other guns unexpectedly useful again after years of owning them has stayed in the way.
    This.

I also find that as my kids progress in their shooting I often have “just the thing” in the back of the safe.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post
    This.

I also find that as my kids progress in their shooting I often have “just the thing” in the back of the safe.
    Yes. I should add that I also have a Taurus .22 revolver. While I wouldn't otherwise want it if I hadn't inherited it from my grandpa, it's just the ticket for letting young shooters hit steel plates at 10 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I also see no reason not to experiment with other guns from time to time, because it's valuable to understand the various action types. That kind of experimentation can sometimes lead to a revelation and possibly even to switching to that gun. How else can you determine what works best for you? The problem comes with switching back and forth constantly, though some people might be able to do that and be okay.
    I’ve been there and done all that. I’ve owned most major brands at one time or another. My first IPSC gun was a Beretta Elite II, which I shot really well, but getting parts was always a pain and finding sights that worked for me proved impossible. Like I said above, I still love guns and gear, I just feel like I don’t need variety to still be an enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    It is a good move and is something I've considered myself. Time investment to pull it off, near certain financial losses, and finding other guns unexpectedly useful again after years of owning them has stayed in the way.
    Thanks for mentioning that, your points should not be understated. I took all of October off from training and resolved to try to sell off all my stuff during that month. It mostly worked and everything was gone by the first week of November. The time investment in this was moderate and the financial loss was likely a couple grand or more. Most of my guns had moderate to heavy wear so, there was that, but they all functioned and shot perfectly. Many folks got a great deal, especially on the mags.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    I’ve been there and done all that. I’ve owned most major brands at one time or another. My first IPSC gun was a Beretta Elite II, which I shot really well, but getting parts was always a pain and finding sights that worked for me proved impossible. Like I said above, I still love guns and gear, I just feel like I don’t need variety to still be an enthusiast.
    Sorry man, the "you" in my post was meant to be a general "you" and not meant as trying to instruct you personally in your path and I should have stated such.

User Tag List