Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going all in - on Glocks

Going all in - on Glocks

The older I get the less stuff I want. I feel weighted down by it, claustrophobic almost. So last fall, after my last match, I decided to sell off all my other other handguns, their associated holsters and mags and bits and pieces, and go all in on Glock 19’s and 17’s.

It’s been awesome to purge all my other handguns and gear. Now I just have one parts bin (though the Gen 5’s do complicate the parts situation slightly), one holster bin, and basically one mag bin (I typically use G17 mags in my G19 at the range). I no longer have to keep track of all the extra holsters, mags, manuals, sights, grips, triggers, parts, etc, etc.

Don’t get me wrong, I love guns and gear, but I feel like I’ve reached as stage in my life where I just want to learn how to shoot better. I don’t want the hassle of moving on to the next best thing and I can’t imagine my Glocks would ever hold me back as a shooter. I‘m just not good enough to say Glocks aren’t good enough. What they are good at is simplicity, reliability, and shootability. Parts are easy to find, and the guns are simple to work on and keep running. There is no hassle or drama with them, which makes them perfect for me.

I now own 5 Glocks; A Gen 2 G19, a Gen 4 G19, two Gen 5 G17’s and one Gen 2 G17. The Gen 2 G19 I keep set up with a stock trigger and Ameriglo CAP night sights. The Gen 4 G19 is totally stock and has a permanent home in my KPOS Scout. The Gen 5’s are my primary and secondary competition guns and will be set up identically with Dawson sights and trigger bits. The Gen 2 G17 is another backup that I can’t part with - I love Gen 2’s - it has Dawson adjustable sights.

So now I have a couple less hanguns, and a bunch less mags, holsters, and parts and bits. Maybe something will come along in the future to make me change my mind about Glocks, but it would have to be something pretty special.

"Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

I am quite concerned about the wide variety of grip tape shapes you are using — don’t you think you should standardize on just one configuration?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I went all in on a Glock as well a couple of years ago, and have gone so far as to only carry and shoot a Glock 45 with an RMR, mounted using Agency Arms’ AOS system. Love it.

Now I need the courage to get rid of all the other guns, which are sitting in a safe, cleaned and oiled. Their mags, holsters and spare parts are in separate bins.

Site Supporter
    The idea of consolidation is very attractive to me, but I just can't bring myself to implement it. I like having examples of guns even if I rarely shoot them.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Yep. They're just stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    The older I get the less stuff I want. I feel weighted down by it, claustrophobic almost. So last fall, after my last match, I decided to sell off all my other other handguns, their associated holsters and mags and bits and pieces, and go all in on Glock 19’s and 17’s.

It’s been awesome to purge all my other handguns and gear. Now I just have one parts bin (though the Gen 5’s do complicate the parts situation slightly), one holster bin, and basically one mag bin (I typically use G17 mags in my G19 at the range). I no longer have to keep track of all the extra holsters, mags, manuals, sights, grips, triggers, parts, etc, etc.

Don’t get me wrong, I love guns and gear, but I feel like I’ve reached as stage in my life where I just want to learn how to shoot better. I don’t want the hassle of moving on to the next best thing and I can’t imagine my Glocks would ever hold me back as a shooter. I‘m just not good enough to say Glocks aren’t good enough. What they are good at is simplicity, reliability, and shootability. Parts are easy to find, and the guns are simple to work on and keep running. There is no hassle or drama with them, which makes them perfect for me.

I now own 5 Glocks; A Gen 2 G19, a Gen 4 G19, two Gen 5 G17’s and one Gen 2 G17. The Gen 2 G19 I keep set up with a stock trigger and Ameriglo CAP night sights. The Gen 4 G19 is totally stock and has a permanent home in my KPOS Scout. The Gen 5’s are my primary and secondary competition guns and will be set up identically with Dawson sights and trigger bits. The Gen 2 G17 is another backup that I can’t part with - I love Gen 2’s - it has Dawson adjustable sights.

So now I have a couple less hanguns, and a bunch less mags, holsters, and parts and bits. Maybe something will come along in the future to make me change my mind about Glocks, but it would have to be something pretty special.
    Are one of these set up as your carry gun?

Agree 100%.

Once the Gen 5 came out, and the SCD was available, I switched over. G19, then a G26. Did not warm to the G26 so traded it for a 43X. I’m on the list for a G44. Also have a blue G19.

It is kinda nice to have all common logistics stuff; holsters, mags (granted not exactly in my case), sights, tools etc.

I like the way you think, Clobbersaurus.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I can't disagree with the logic. I just enjoy guns too dang much and end up with all sorts. I like to say I'm married to Glocks, but it's a hollywood hippy open marriage and they let me fool around with other guns because they know I'll always come back.

I dig the little mini-carbine. Did you SBR the G19.4? ETA: Disregard, see note below about locale. Sorry. Shame it's not that easy here in the states.
    Last edited by LOKNLOD; 01-02-2020 at 09:27 PM.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Reminds me of this little post, which had quite a bit of influence on me personally for something I read on the internets:

http://www.03designgroup.com/technot...-glock-why-9mm
    Last edited by KevH; 01-02-2020 at 09:23 PM.

User Tag List